Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Page: of 18

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  09:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Been getting back around to preparing more framing and support structure.I realized that my work bench wasn't working. It was in the way. So it moved it out of the room where the layout is, so the rest of the support framing could be built. You may have noticed in a few photos the layout was becoming the work bench. That had to change.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/15/2018 09:45:05 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  11:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually got some bench work done today on the port area. Intentionally left it a few inches deeper than drawn. Nothing ever seems to be quite the same in 3D as it seems when you are drawing plans. Lesson of life is you can always cut it smaller.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Been messing around the harbor section with some backdrop ideas. I have dug through a bunch of online photos of harbor grain silos, and found a few without overhanging trees or foreground objects in the way. I printed them and cut around the building. There are simply in rough positions, not taped or glued on at this point.I figure it's a quick way to add depth to scenes without painting all that detail Pics to follow.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/23/2018 12:27:41 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  12:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well... here,s a few quick pics to run an idea past you guys to see what you think of combining background buildings, along with photos and painted areas on the backdrop. It is in the thought process, and rough at this point.

Your input is appreciated.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/23/2018 12:25:31 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  08:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
More bench work accomplished last night. Won't post pics as you all know what bench work looks like. Still waiting for opinions on the photo montage background.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'm interested in seeing photos of benchwork, as I ponder the benchwork for my new layout.

Photo montage looks good. One thing to keep in mind as you assemble photos is "Where's the sun in this photo?"

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  11:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Deemery, thanks for reminder about the sun location.
it's a good point. In the case of the overall backdrop, the sun is in the opposite corner of the room. As you look at the pics, it would be over your left shoulder. Overhead spots and floodlights are directable. Prior pages show sun rise over hills to the southeast.

It's early morning, October 25,1951, and across the state, in Buffalo New York, a future model railroader is being born, a guy who's mother will name David J Buchholz, because she doesn't like the father's idea of naming him Raymond

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/20/2018 10:37:26 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  1:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Got several wye turnouts in the other day, and a 60* crossover from Harris Hobbies online,along with flex straight sections.

I wad able to lay out the port area fairly well. I am also still working the port area backdrop. It was never completed, awaiting a more final plan.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/17/2018 09:16:49 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  11:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's a few update photos of progress in the port area of the North Coast Railroad.

This is the DPM FEDUPS modular kit. I have no intention of building it as shown on the instructions picture, I but will use the parts to bash together two or three other structures, the first of which is laid out in the picture below.

Here's a progress shot as the building gets glued together.

This is a comparison of the raw wall vs after a wash of a few reddish colors and some detailing colors added.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Thatís going to be a big building isnít it? Your port is developing quickly with a bustling commercial area.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  10:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's big, Mike. The scene will scale downward onto the dock and wharf area with 1-2 story wooden buildings from the Bar Mills FS&M TRIBUTE KIT, Toadsuck Cannery, and a bash of Campbell's Hamilton's Dingies. The farther away from the edge. The taller things get in that area.

I was inspired by pics of the grain elevators and their attending trackage in Buffalo, N.Y.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/10/2018 10:13:41 AM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  6:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi David, I just came across your layout thread. Things are progressing beautifully. I love harbour scenes and will follow along closely. Like you, I have placed structures at different elevations on my layout. Looking forward to your work on the two marine vessels as well!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  7:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to my wife not finding out that I want to buy them.

I notice that we both live on the same Great Lake for our railroad interests. Although yours would be the "South Coast Railroad" in comparison. Mine will have a ferry slip for possible interchange across our shared water border!

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  10:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's an update with a few pics from tonight. I layed out the port area somewhat better. I actually ended up with a "whole inch" of extra room from the original trackplan. The first is what I call the concrete canyon. If you have ever looked at Pics of the Buffalo harbor, You'll know where the Idea came from.

Here's a more general view of the area I am working on.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/20/2018 10:16:38 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  10:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here' the winning photo for the backdrop area between the milling buildings.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/20/2018 10:15:28 PM

Page: of 18 Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000