Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 138 ]  [ Total: 146 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Page: of 18

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  07:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Got home from a late closing of The store last night. Played around with some pink foam sheets on some uncovered bench areas.

Waiting from some dpdt toggle switches to come in on a slow boat from China. Need to wire up some tortoise turnout motors.

Have been considering making up a test jig for turnout wiring. I'll be using edge connectors on the tortoises, so I can rig up a wire harness jig to make sure the LEDs are wired and oriented corrected BEFORE they get the the control panel.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/29/2018 11:49:02 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  10:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd post a few pics of results from laying down some pink foam and some tentative placement of track in the harbor port area.

I am happy with the point that there is no track parallel to the edge of the layout here, or anywhere else. (One of my personal pet peeves of typical trackplans).

This last shot is kind of an overview of the nature of the rolling stock I've been collecting. I am not after BIG mainline names for the North Coast. My thought is they would not have bothered with a tiny slow old narrow gauge, in some little two bit town, So I don't have much from the New York Central, a couple old grain cars is about it.

There are plenty of private billboard reefers though, and small upstate regional connecting lines that represent NY rail traffic through the area.

Many of these cars are from Ebay "trainboss". He uses cheap flat sided reefers and slaps a printed side on them. They won't win any prizes under close scrutiny. Even the ladders are printed. But still, they will add colorful variety at a distance, after a swap of trucks and couplers

As things develop, and I stumble across items of note, I see that had the North Coast Railroad existed, there are neighboring lines that would have interchanged, so that is where the bulk of road names will be coming from.

Particularly, the New York, Ontario and Western (NYO&W) would have been likely been the name source of traffic until its bankruptcy in 1957. Luckily its only 1951 on the North Coast.

And since it's all make believe, the North Coast also has trackage rights along the old Rome, Watertown and Ogdensberg, along the Lake from Oswego harbor to Sodus Bay.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/07/2018 12:43:55 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  07:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Looks like your roster of boxcars and reefers will rival your backdrop for color.

I like your flowing track plan.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  08:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Looking good. That background reminds me of the Bristol Hills during autumn.

Here's another short line car for you. The car may be to new though. On May 23, 1917 the Arcade and Attica (A&A) Railroad was formed by local investors to operate the line. I bet somewhere there's got to be a picture of a wooden boxcar.

I painted an Atheran Blue Box and decaled it may years ago.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  08:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“no track parallel to the edge of the layout here, or anywhere else” I agree totally. Nice looking maze of track and structures.

Hey I see a ship’s bow poking it’s nose into the second picture, care to elaborate?

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bernd,my cutoff date is Oct 1951, the day I was was born. So,yes, a build date of 1963 is "too new"

Frank, the ship is the "Langell Bros." from Sylvan Scale Models. It will be refitted with a wooden deck that has more and wider holds for grain extraction, and an enclosed upper cockpit. Small mods.

Greg Shinnie "Ensign" has a great thread here on building one, and I will steal every nugget of info I possible can from it. There are some other pics here, several pages ago.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/30/2018 09:37:02 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  12:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! Nice development of your track plan. I too try and avoid straight lines in anything (other than building sides and components) and really like the switching area you have laid out. Your Billboard collection is very sharp too.

It's only make-believe

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  9:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Spend a chunk of the evenimg gluing down pink foam in the yard area while watching the Alabama Crimson Tide go undefeated against Georgia... Great game.

I'm trying to get the track down so I can develop the port area first, relative to anywhere else on the plan.

Overall, I'm pleased that the original vision is coming along. For the first time, it dawned on me tonight that I actually have two independent trackplans here.

There is a point to point railroad from the harbor past the yard, to the ferry slip and cove waterside station area the other is a simple dogbone with a reversing loop servicing the river milling area and upper town where the Rubbles Station kit mingle will be featured.

They share the passing / runaround track at the top of the yard. Other than that four foot section, a train can run in a continuous loop, while the port and cove area are worked as a point to point.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/01/2018 10:15:26 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  12:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since gluing down foam is not particularly exciting to see, here is a preview of things to come.

Others well before me have pioneered the Atlas 21 position turntable, to great success, modified as a pit turntable. That's the route I'll be following with the help of some threads found on this forum. I admire all of you, for your willingness to share ideas and abilities.

This is looking from the isle edge of the yard area. holding my personal "Holy Grail" of locomotives, a HOn3 four truck shay.It was puchased over thirty five years ago for $300.00. I see them occasionally for $995.00, but it seems like it is always the same one, unsold.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/02/2018 9:24:05 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  1:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, now I'm jealous. I've always wanted a 4 trucker. Nice looking model BTW. Who made it?

Thinking of using two B'mann 3 truck Shays and using the 3rd truck from one to make the 4 truck. It would have to be standard gauge though. Darn.

Bernd

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  4:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A certain chief operating officer of the North Coast Railroad, a friend of yours in Rochester who has a narrow gauge layout, happens to have some spare standard gauge trucks with no particular need for them anymore.

One is a brass center truck from a C3 Pacific Coast Shay, the other two are a matched brass pair, original equipment from my B2 Shay.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/03/2018 08:16:38 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  9:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

A certain chief operating officer of the North Coast Rialroad, a friend of yours in Rochester who has a narrow gauge layout, who happens to have some spare standard gauge trucks with no particular need for thrm anymore.

One is a brass center truck from a C3 Pacific Coast Shay, the other two are a matched brass pair, original equipment from my B2 Shay.

Ah yes the chief mechanic of power on the New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. would be highly interested in said equipment.

Bernd

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  06:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Shay is absolutely stunning, with not one spot of tarnish. Now I'm jealous, but unfortunately.. it's HOn3. darn..
You will have a beautiful layout when completed.

Rich

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  12:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bernd, here's the trucks I have avaialable.

Additionally, for the rest of you, a preliminary layout of the yard tracks. The upper twp are part of the reversing ;oop and will be hidden, As much as I hate straight lines, at least the engine facility tracks are angled and front edge is curved.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/03/2018 12:34:09 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  12:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bernd, here's the trucks I have avaialable

Page: of 18 Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000