Railroad Line Forums - Passenger car diaphragm discussion
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Passenger car diaphragm discussion
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Intermittent wheel to truck sideframe short Topic Next Topic: three bobbers for the C&V  

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At a club where I was a member, diaphragms were referred to as 'derail-a-phragms'. At that time, even imported brass models rarely came with them installed, so it was all on the modeler's shoulders. Now, high-quality RTR equipment includes them, but there can still be issues, to wit those that led me to propose this topic.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  12:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of my passenger trains had regularly recently started derailing on a particular piece of track. When it happened, it was always the forward (as the seats are turned) truck of a Rapido HO scale Osgood-Bradley (American Flyer) coach. And only when behind a parlor car I'd built out of an old Rivarossi 12-1 Pullman. And only at one point where a decreasing radius spiral curve finally got down to about 36".

I checked and adjusted the track, adjusted the grade, made sure the trucks could tilt over irregularities, etc. etc. After spending quite a while looking at the wheels going back and forth, I took a look from above:

The corner of the American Limited diaphragm on the Parlor is hooked inside the Coach's diaphragm.

Rapido's diaphragm opening scales fully 6' 10" high. The AL diaphragm is much lower. Separating them farther didn't work, it would still hook occasionally. So I did this, after an idea dating back to the era of Walthers paper diaphragms and shirt collar acetate:

My jury is still out over whether this looks more or less conspicuous than the original, which covered the whole opening with clear plastic. But that's only an issue in 'going away' shots of models, and they will now stay on the tracks for my train crews.

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  06:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you figured it out, good job! Another fix would have probably been to remove the non American Limited diaphragm and replaced it with an American Limited diaphram. I would think having different manufacturer's equipment might cause problems.

Very nice passenger cars, by the way!

Edited by - N2626 on 12/26/2015 06:54:39 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark. The Osgood-Bradley is stock, except for trimming the New Haven-specific skirting off the B&M car and adding window shades. The Plan 2417D parlor is brass sides, new 242 trucks and NERS A/C duct and detail parts on an AHM/IHC 12-1 body.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic. I was at an ops session a week ago where that issue came up, just about 5 inches beyond being able to reach the cars in an enclosed area going into staging.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Previous Topic: Intermittent wheel to truck sideframe short Topic Next Topic: three bobbers for the C&V  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000