Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area
Page: of 11

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  8:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’ve been contemplating the building of a TT scale layout for quite some time now. The original plan was to build the first section and see if I could get it published in one of the major railroad publications. I have instead decided to do an SBS (step by step) and post it to two other forums besides Rail Line Forum, TTnut and Model Railroad Hobbyist.

It’ll be a “sectional layout”. By sectional I mean a part of one scene will be completely built before the second section is started. It will not be based on any modular concept design. I don’t plan on being able to add on to other modules. It will be a strictly stand alone railroad.

I already have two plans on paper for the first two sections. The first section will be based on Chuck Yungkurth’s Gum Stump & Snowshoe Railroad published in the April 1966 issue of Model Railroader. The first and second section will represent a logging line. The third will be a coal mining operation.

I’m going to try a light weight construction technique so the sections can be taken to local trains shows for display.

So let the fun begin in the next post.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  8:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started out with a sheet of 2” thick blue foam.

I used an 8 foot long piece of wood as a guide to cut a piece a little over one foot wide.

Next I used the table saw to square up the hand cut side and make it exactly 12” wide.

I have two pieces clamped to the sides to measure how wide to make the spacers and end pieces.

I made a jig for spacing small 1” X 6” spacers that will be used to space the inner support pieces.

The first one is spaced in one thickness of the end piece. Then each subsequent piece is spaced one width thickness of the inner support pieces. It is glued and mailed with 5/8” long brads.

The first row of spacers have been glued and nailed down. I also marked the boards for proper assembly.

Using a pair of side cutters I cut the brads sticking out the other side off.

I then used a Dremel tool with a drum sander to bring down the ends of the brads flush with the wood.

All the spacers have been glued and nailed down.

The first end piece is installed using a square for proper alignment.

Brads are driven in at a 45 degree angle to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries.

The two end pieces and one side piece have been glued and nailed in place.

The inner support pieces have been glued and nailed in place. The pieces are 2” shorter in height so the foam seats inside the frame.

Test fitting the foam top.

The second side is glued and nailed.

I discovered I need to cut holes in the sides to be able to wire it up.

That's it for now.

Bernd

dwyaneward
New Hire

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  9:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit dwyaneward's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice start, Bernd

Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale http://kdrail.blogspot.com/
TT Scale Modeling http://ttscalemodeling.blogspot.com

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  10:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Bernd' beautiful tutorial, looks like you are off to a great start;,,I'll be with you....=

Ted

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  06:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  08:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

It'll be slow going since I'll be learning as I go.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  09:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful workmanship.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

dwyaneward
New Hire

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  09:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit dwyaneward's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

What type of wood ply did you use.

Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale http://kdrail.blogspot.com/
TT Scale Modeling http://ttscalemodeling.blogspot.com

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  10:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to document the build so completely. I'm assuming that you have some sort of larger vehicle/truck to transport the 8 foot length, or are you going to reduce the length of the unit somehow? I know that in my modular club 4ft lengths are pretty much the max due to fitting the units in vehicles and various doorway and hall corner issues when transporting to shows.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing what sort of 'cover' you come up with for use when transporting the units. Your craftsmanship is just outstanding and I'm looking to garner some ideas from you.

Looking forward to the next installment.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  3:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Beautiful workmanship.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwyaneward

Bernd,

What type of wood ply did you use.

Trade name is Revolutionply. It's 3/16" thick 3ply. I believe it's used for underlayment. It's pretty light.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  3:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Great tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to document the build so completely. I'm assuming that you have some sort of larger vehicle/truck to transport the 8 foot length, or are you going to reduce the length of the unit somehow? I know that in my modular club 4ft lengths are pretty much the max due to fitting the units in vehicles and various doorway and hall corner issues when transporting to shows.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing what sort of 'cover' you come up with for use when transporting the units. Your craftsmanship is just outstanding and I'm looking to garner some ideas from you.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks for the kind words. I try not to leave anything out when I do something so it's easy to follow.

I see I forgot to mention that I cut it to a six foot length as that is what the original size of the Gum Stump & Snowshoe is. So the layout is one foot wide by six feet long. So shouldn't be to much of a problem. Actually if I reduced the size by 27.5% it would be the correct size for TT. So it would be about 9 inches wide by 52 inches long. I stayed with the 1' X 6' since it gives mre more room. And speaking of a cover. I've given that some thought since it will be transported in the bed of a pickup truck. I've been thinking that I may make a case with wheels on it for easy movement.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  3:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a drawing courtesy of Model Railroader of the Gum Stump & Snowshoe by Chuck Yungkurth

Bernd

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  4:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really looking forward to this, Bernd. Thanks for taking the time to create a S-B-S.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  5:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

I'm really looking forward to this, Bernd. Thanks for taking the time to create a S-B-S.

I like sharing what and how I do it. It's always great fun. I'm looking forward to actually finishing this so I can take it to shows and hopefully educate the newbies that there is another scale between N and HO and it ain't narrow gauge.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  5:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some more progress in getting the frame roughed in. I cut holes in the bottom for access to the bottom of the foam for wiring and turnout controls.

A little more info on materials I plan on using. I'm going to use my resin cast track and I'm going to give scratchbuilding turnouts a try. I plan on controlling them manually. I have an idea, but the layout needs to be at the point of them being installed. Who knows I may change my mind by the time I get to that point.

I laid out the holes by drawing lines where the stiffeners on the inside are. Then I made a 1" wide piece and a 2" wide piece for locating cutting lines.

Then I drilled 1/2" dia. holes at the corners and then used a saber saw to cut out the holes.

All the holes have been cut.

Believe it or not that is the blue foam. The flash washed it out. With the foam in place the whole frame has become very rigid. It's a little "twisty" without it.

Bottom view. I have nice access to the inside now.

I had to add some end pieces to keep the foam from being pushed down at the ends.

I think the next thing on the agenda is laying out the track diagram.

Bernd

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000