Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 216 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry
Page: of 44

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2017 :  11:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding in so many ways. Superb workmanship.
You take such great pride in what you do.
Thank you foe sharing it with us.
ed

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Your postings are one of the highlights of this site. Glad to see you back. The layout looks fantastic and the backdrop really enhances the magic you've created. Congratulations on the move and the new art studio.

Dave

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  07:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally I don't care much for southwestern style layouts but yours is an exception. You are doing an incredible job on this layout, it's a real work of art!

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  5:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! It's great to be back at it. I'm building a new scene at the front of the layout and that's the topic of this week's post on the new Thunder Mesa blog. Hope you'll check it out:
http://thundermesa.studio/2017/07/tmmc-update-july-8-2017/

David Meek

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  11:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice scene your putting together there Dave. It's great to see you back at it in your new home. How cool is it that you can simply start back up where you left off...after moving!

Mark

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  07:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the tutorial on the construction of the nifty mini scene. Tom

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  6:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I kept running across your layout during different searches for On30 and it's nice to see that it is alive and evolving. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Dave

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  11:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I did a little more work on what will soon be the Thunder Mesa riverfront today, adding some carved EPF rocks to help ease the transition.

I'm trying something a bit new and unusual here. The "River Unit" is going to be a separate module on wheels that can be rolled in or out of the aisle depending on wether the railroad is in "display" or "operations" mode. It will be a mostly static model with no functional track. With visitors coming to the studio now, the layout is in display mode most of the time.

David Meek

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  06:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Good to see the start of the new "River Unit". Looks like another neat addition.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  07:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The river unit is a pretty spiffy idea. Nice deep scenes are great for visual effect and photos, providing more context for the railroad. I've only seen that done on a couple of layouts at most. One was a large factory complex that would get in the way during operations.

Mike

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  9:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I completed the benchwork for the roll-away river unit. The top is held to the base with 4 screws and can be removed for transport. The base is built on 3" castors, and the front pair swivel, just like a shopping cart. The 1/8" thick Masonite will form the bottom of the river and the banks will be built up with EPF.

The river bottom is 47" above the floor. That will put it roughly 4" or 16 scale feet below the track level in Thunder Mesa town. Overall size of the module is about 65" x 30".

David Meek

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  11:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another fun project to watch! I can't wait to see you transform this blank canvas.

Mark

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  09:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your layout is great and the cleanliness of your work area is most impressive.

Carry on!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice bedrock for the river front. I guess as your layout is in your art studio you must have to spend a good amount of time keeping the room clean. Time yo ucan't use for modeling but a clean room makes it easier to keep the RR clean.

It's only make-believe

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  7:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lol. That's the garage at our new house. I haven't had much time to junk it up yet.

David Meek

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000