Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: ida ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Page: of 12

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  8:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm building this all from scratch, so I'll be flying by the seat of my pants. That means I'm open to suggestions should anyone know of a better way of going about things.

And so it begins!
Step 1:

Getting under the Beast

The Coal Drop Zone! I figure I'll build her from the ground up. In my photo references of this area, the details are sparse, so I'm going on some of what I have seen (picture wise) of other such structures, and a good deal of guessing.

Printed off my drawings in HO scale and then measured, scribed, cut and stained this piece.

But I messed up . . . scribe lines were off a bit and missed a few crucial details.

So I bought an "Incra Ruler" that I stumbled across at "Lee Valley". The tiny holes in it mean you can use a pin or a technical pencil to mark for greater accuracy and speed!

And it worked like a charm!!!

second try . . .

Okay, I like how this turned out but the stain I used earlier went on much to uniformly, so I'll fiddle with that later, on a practice piece and then stain the real deal when I've got that down pat.

I'm going to measure and cut out all the remaining parts for this foundation piece before staining commences.

Now as I thought about this next part (the Bents under the structure), I decided to make a template . . . I think I've seen some fellows on this forum do something like this before.

and cut out the parts . . .

That's all for now.
Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  10:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob, great to see this subject come back again with it's own build thread.
I love that "Incra" ruler! I must get one of those on my next visit too the fabled Valley of Tools!
Your off to a beautifully documented and beautiful looking coal dock by the looks of things already.
keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  08:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good looking build!
Anytime I do something more than once (and even then) I use jigs.
At least if i mess up - all the parts are the same <tongue in cheek>

-Marty

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  10:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, Marty,

Thanks guys!

Greg, I'm starting to think I should have stained the wood for the Bents before cutting . . . something I think you did for the Trestle in your "Dome Oil Co" build. I'm going to take another look at your procedure there!

Marty,
Yes, the Jig idea is the only way to-go when making multiples of things at this scale and some semblance of precision is desired. It's a lot of fiddling at the front end but so much easier when putting it all together.

I just stained and put one of those Bents into the jig . . . will show the results when I get a chance, but for now, I'm back at it!

Robert Wanka

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  11:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start Robert. Looks good.

Don't know if it will be of value to you, but possible coloring technique. You would probably want to use Weather-IT instead of Silverwoood and a darker marker or two, but it may provide you with an idea or two.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40591

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  11:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Kris,
I took a look at the link you provided . . . Real good tips and stunning results! I may borrow some of them.

Thanks for your suggestion and for visiting my build page!

Okay, so I got things moving a little more . . .

Cut out all . . . well not all, but mostly all of the parts for the "Coal Drop Zone" and then stained them. First off I want to say that I found this little device rather handy for removing fuzz . . .

Now I'm not the originator of the idea for using this handy little tool and I don't recall who it was, but it was on this forum that I learned about it.

Fuss less!!

There are four bents under the coal drop, one on each end and two inside of the "box".

Here's my production line template/jig

Oh, and here are the parts I cut out that constitute the greater part of the coal drop area . . .

These look much better in regular light than they do placed on the bed of a scanner (like I did here) but you get the idea. And yes, there are two more bents (not shown here).

Now, at the top of this page I included a picture of my first attempt (which I rejected). I had glued the parts together before realizing the errors, so it became my "Guinea pig", and I decided to do a little experimenting on the stain.

You can see on the top left side that things look a little less uniform there. That was the experiment, adding more stain with a brush but this time I was a bit more "artistic" about it.

The idea is, I want this building to look dirty, grimy, dusty, to put it in German, I want Schmutz, all over it

"Man with never changing Pose" but Different angle of the structure and a close up showing the scribed wood and staining details.

Those photos are not of the new improved version. That is what I will be doing next, assembling the parts, and that is what I will show when I've done it.

That is all for now.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 07/25/2015 12:16:53 PM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  08:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob, she's looking great so far. Man, just your template jig is a masterpiece let alone the model it will produce!
Yup, I typically stain my lengths of wood before cutting and then "touch up" the ends of each cut as the wood then looks a tad bare.
What a great concept you've got going. I'll be following along!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  4:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike . . . I am honored!

Your work is nothing less than spectacular, so thanks for taking a look at my little build here and giving me the thumbs up, much appreciated!!

I think I will be applying the same tactic in staining that you have suggested!

Thanks again!

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  5:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob, that little jig you cut out for your bents is extremely well done!
And your scribing is nothing to shake a stick at either. I've never even tried to do that before, and yours looks perfect. Not so much the first try, but the second try for sure.
The only issue I will take with you is about the colouring of your wood so far.
Your way to light in colour, I remember seeing what was left of these old coaling places.
And they were much darker than your colouring is.
And the bents in the trestles were creosoted wood really dark.
The colours suggested by Dario in my Dome Oil thread worked really well at imitating the colour of creosoted wood.

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  6:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Greg,

You are right of course, I've been coming at this a tad to gently, meaning it all looks rather too pale!

I did take another look at your "Dome Oil Co." build and in particular, the staining aspect. Kris had a great way of going about it as well. But you are right, my Bents need to be way darker . . . and I will be dialing up that darkness before I start combing all the parts.

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am still working on the "Coal Drop Zone" . . . but very close to being done.

Now I do realize that a good deal of this work will not be noticeable when the model is totally completed, most of it is under the "Beast"!

However, for the discerning eye . . . like my own, this is the kind of detailed rivet counting candy I enjoy!!

You will notice the black & white photos vs. the colour . . . this was because when I shot the pics at certain settings the colour was way off, to light, to red, to "not right", so I converted them to Black & White.

Different settings on the Camera showed the colour shots very close to how things appear under my workshop lights . . . these I include.

Looks a lot darker, right Greg? . . . I am talking major "Schmutz"!

Excuse the repeat shot (left bottom pic) . . .

I am showing the back because that is where I need to complete things . . . More pictures to follow when it is done.

Besides this progress report, I am pleased to say that Lance Russwurm/DaVinci1953 let me borrow these lovely tools of his to help speed things along . . .

Already used one of them and WOW!

Much better than cutting things with a knife or hand saw!

Back to work!

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 07/29/2015 1:53:32 PM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  11:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something was bothering me about the colour of my wood, something that thankfully, was because of the way my camera was reading the dim light in my studio . . . well, dim for the camera that is.

The thing is, it looks fine with the naked eye . . . so I took it outside and took some photos under natural light.

The colour match compared with the colour photo I have of the prototype, is very close. So I am pleased.

Today I spent some time staining and cutting ties, stained the wood for the next set of bents as well.

Here are the colour mediums I employed . . .

The Nut Brown ink was applied first, and with a brush. I let that dry for an hour or so, and then applied my special formula of India Ink and alcohol . . . brushed that on as well.

Here is a shot of what's to come . . . but I'm not ready to place the stringers and add the ties yet.

What I have to do is complete the "Coal Drop" structure under everything . . . so a little "detailing" was in order by adding the joists that comprise the slop for the coal drop.

Applied a little carpenters glue to the end.

And eased it in place, guiding the span with a piece of 3/32 square basswood.

One section done . . .

That's all for now.

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  08:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, your new colouring looks spot on.
It's very nice of Lance to lend you those cutting tools. I'm certain you will like them so much, you will end up buying a set of your own one day.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  10:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Robert....
I'm very glad to see that you're finally starting to build the thing! I was beginning to think that it was all talk! :)
Seriously, knowing your standards, it's going to be beautiful! (That's three sentences in a row ending with exclamation marks. From me, that's high praise! oops...another)
That being said...here's a minor nitpick...
Where you have scribed the wood to look like many boards, you can see the woodgrain pattern spanning several "boards". That annoys me no end...yes...it's one of my pet peeves. I know that "board by board" construction is a LOT more work, and it will make you bored (Sorry for the pun - it's Greg's influence) but, with the level of detail that you are contemplating...it should be considered.
Or, you could do what I often do (because I will always take the lazy way) and simply go over the odd board with another coat of stain to break up that continuous pattern. Other than that...looking forward to seeing the build. To quote that old eighties song by the Police: "I'll be watching you"

Lance

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

Edited by - DaVinci1953 on 07/31/2015 10:48:04 AM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  12:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, Thanks! A number of fellows on this forum are craftsman modelers who's work I find very inspirational, and I am glad to know that two of them live very close to me . . . yourself and Lance.

Spoke with Lance yesterday about my build and he was very kind in referring to my own modeling as "right up there" . . . but I myself do not think so. Perhaps when I complete this project, and learn the finer aspects of modeling while in the doing of it, that will change.

But for now, I have yet to completely demonstrate what kind of modeler I am, and that starts by cutting my teeth on this project.

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  12:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Lance,

Funny you should say that about building it board for board. A couple of days ago I was contemplating starting it all over again with that in mind, board for board.

But I resisted the urge because I know that the learning process never ends and that getting a project going and done is part of that process.

The President of Pixar Studio's Ed Catmull said in his book "Creativity INC", that "if you let them, some artists will keep polishing the brick and never get it done".

I don't intend on doing that with this project/brick . . . I'll learn along the way and keep upping the skill level as I go.

This part of the build will be "under" the structure so it's not a front and center thing . . . still, I do want it nicely done so that whatever shows in photographs looks good!

I'll consider what you said about going over some of the boards just to break things up a bit.

Thanks!

Robert Wanka

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000