Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line RR vol 7
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line RR vol 7
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 25 Topic Next Topic: Water Tower
Page: of 30

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  7:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The beauty about layouts is that they will still be there next week. Next month or next year. Sure they will need a bit of a tidy up. But they don't have a use by date.
I travel a lot and don't see may layout for months at a time. Each time I come back I have a new enthusiasm for it.
A break away never hurt anyone.
At the end of the day your hobby has to be fun. Forcing yourself simply doesn't work.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  08:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the trouble with being a model railroader is that most of us only have one "canvas", which is our layout space, and once that "painting" is finished then what. My guess is the fuel that fired your layout building surge was the process of creating and building, and now that process is mostly finished you're losing interest. Life is full of interesting things to do and I fully understand the idea of setting model railroading aside, I consider it all the time. I have four areas of strong interest (and many other small things to dabble in) and I often consider dropping one or two so I can give more of my time to some of the other ones. however to defend model railroading I have to say the hobby can be as big or as little as you decide to make it and maybe the fuel you need to build that fire IS to get rid of the big layout and start something new and totally different. for someone like you that seems to like the creating side of model railroading picking a new theme, even a new scale could be the most motivating thing you can do, it might even inspire more painting ideas. How about doing Fn3!

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2018 :  4:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bump

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  02:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the bump, Kevin!
Not much to show :) But I had visitors this summer, and a couple of kids, their father and grandfather asked to see the trains. Unbelievably the trains actually ran after five years of idleness! I closed the swing-up connection across the entry door, and ran circles with three different trains. The small Americans run much better than my Forneys. In addition the paper mill shay was steamed up, and ran nicely in the mill yard... My son in law has expressed interest in the car card system I have (he is a keen board game enthusiast), so there is a very unexpected possibility that the Coast Line RR will see some operation action before long!! So there :)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  07:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Troels, Nice to hear things ran pretty well and that there might be more running coming up!

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  2:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who'd have thought... here I sit, all relaxed, spending a quiet evening painting a few figures!!

I came over a tray of unfinished stuff today, and couldn't resist :) Many years since I painted figures and details last... Some paint has dried up, the glues too. But it feels good

I'm a little ahead of production schedule artwise, so who knows if there will be more sessions

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  3:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So good to see you back if only for a short period of time!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  3:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really does feel good to pick up a project and make progress after an absence! Bravo!

And it's good to se you back on the rails and having fun!

Pete
in Michigan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  4:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels, Glad you enjoyed your figure painting.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  6:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,
Wow, happy to see you get a little time to model. As for the figures they have made amazing strides in the last year with 3d printing. Check this out. https://www.facebook.com/modelu3d/

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

gs48
New Hire

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Troels -- Good to hear from you again and glad to hear things are well at home!

See, your fondness for modeling is still there. The interest of some others is sometimes all it takes to reawaken the spirit.

You know, another way to look at it is like a painting. Create dioramas that people can buy and put in their cars and take home.

My furniture-maker mentor was from Ireland and in his free time he made Christmas dioramas of old European town scenes in winter. He would put them out on the sidewalk during Christmas season, one on each neighbors front yard. People would come from miles around to see them. They were so beautiful! When he died his kids just kept them in the garage collecting dust. I wish he had made one with a a train. -- Just a thought. All the best!

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  11:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
happy to see you relaxing!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

tharbin
New Hire

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  1:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,

I just wanted to let you know that there are many of us that don't post that still follow your work, both professional and MRR, and wish you well.

There have only been two model railroad videos that my wife has ever watched the whole video. One was your video on making waves and the other was a video tour of the Coast Line RR.

Thank you for sharing.

Tom - blog: https://trainblog.tharbin.com

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  1:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i mean is very yery good when you are be back

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  03:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys!! It is so strange to actually have a little spare time again! I continued the figure painting yesterday evening, and even began tidying the train shed... So it is looking serious!!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 25 Topic Next Topic: Water Tower  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000