Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line RR vol 7
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line RR vol 7
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Black Bear Logging II Topic Next Topic: My gas mechanical engine broke down!
Page: of 17

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2016 :  9:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels, your wood siding is terrific, can you tell us what you used - was it ink and alcohol for the graying?

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  01:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Troels, your wood siding is terrific, can you tell us what you used - was it ink and alcohol for the graying?

Thanks Bill,

I use artists acrylic paint for almost everything... I don't differeciate between painting and weathering, but sort of paint the finished look all at once. No stains or washes. Dry brushing will lift edges and accentuate. I slightly enhance shadows under window sills and roof edges with a dark mix. On the sign I used a little color pencil as a background color, since the sign was printed in black & white.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  01:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimF

Hi Troels.

Not to take away from the discussion of your current build, but I'm working my way through the previous 600 pages of threads. Did I read correctly that you used Peco OO track, for the layout? The UK track, not the US style HO track?

Thanks.

Jim F

Jim, I used ordinary, cheap OO Peco. It isn't that far off from the Maine two foot track measurements I have, but I probably wouldn't have used it if I tried to get a three foot look. Anyhow it is heavily ballasted, and works fine for my purposes. I never try to simulate real life, but model pure fiction :)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  2:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where's his "Stones"? No wonder his business is slow... no stones!

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 08/14/2016 2:30:11 PM

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  3:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't I write #test fitting"??? Stones, wall mounted crane, three figures and STONES will come in due course! Dry weeds under the building too... and tools... and a cat... Patience David ;)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor Troels! All of us watchers have no patience!

dave

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  4:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured maybe is was Mr Germeroth's polite way of telling the world he wanted to retire from selling stones, and not to interrupt his card game with the boys down by the docks.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 08/14/2016 4:46:01 PM

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  4:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, you obviously haven't met mr Germeroth :)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  7:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not yet, But I have the belief that our forum world will be introduced to him very soon

... with or without his stones!

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  03:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels: The finish is amazing. It fools my eyes even though I know it is acrylic paint. Thanks for sharing. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  11:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I slightly enhance shadows under window sills and roof edges with a dark mix.

Many years ago I was at a train show and a gentleman had a modular display.and there was always a crowd surrounding it! We all stood there trying to figure out why this layout was so special looking to all of us. It finally sunk in, he had PAINTED all of his shadows.

When questioned he said he had mounted a single spot on a stand in his shop and with his air brush and a thinned wash he painted under the trees, under bridges, slightly graying side walls etc.

In the midst of the autotorium with all that washed out light it looked really different and it was very believable and inspiring to say the least. Russ

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  11:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChiloquinRuss

I slightly enhance shadows under window sills and roof edges with a dark mix.

Many years ago I was at a train show and a gentleman had a modular display.and there was always a crowd surrounding it! We all stood there trying to figure out why this layout was so special looking to all of us. It finally sunk in, he had PAINTED all of his shadows.

When questioned he said he had mounted a single spot on a stand in his shop and with his air brush and a thinned wash he painted under the trees, under bridges, slightly graying side walls etc.

In the midst of the autotorium with all that washed out light it looked really different and it was very believable and inspiring to say the least. Russ

I do the same...ever so subtly. This is the only thing I use my airbrush for. Shading under trees, in allys, under cars etc. Easy to overdo!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  12:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A fine build again Troel ! Good to see ya back at it. Now I have a photo question, camera and what lens (or distance)?

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  4:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

A fine build again Troel ! Good to see ya back at it. Now I have a photo question, camera and what lens (or distance)?

Thanks Martin,

The camera is a cheapish (at least compared to my Nikon D810 :) Canon SX50. The small sensor makes the wide-angle a very short focal length of 4.3mm with very wide depth of field. Its super zoom range lens isn't the sharpest glass around, but is actually quite impressive for this particular use. Color balance is a little tricky to get right with this camera, but nothing Lightroom can't fix.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  2:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,

A delayed Thank You for your reply about the track. Mea culpa.

Though I'm in the US, I have some left from fooling with UK OO, so that will get me started.

I have also, now, finally gone through all 7111 pages of the 7 volumes. Phenomenal is the word that comes to mind. All I can do is echo all the superlatives that have been spoken through all these years.

The only downside to reading all those pages, was noting a few of the suppliers who either are no longer in business, or no longer (at least, looking at their websites) produce some of the excellent items you have put to such fantastic use.

Finally, is your video colors DVD still available?

Cheers.

Jim F

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: Black Bear Logging II Topic Next Topic: My gas mechanical engine broke down!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000