Railroad Line Forums - All Aboard - Ed Fulasz' plaster kit #017
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 196 ]  [ Total: 200 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 All Aboard - Ed Fulasz' plaster kit #017
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Worlds Easiest HO Craftsman Kit Topic Next Topic: Brian Nolan Hardware
Page: of 2

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  10:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Started building this kit about a week ago.
I was not even done building my first structure (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45105), when I was tempted with this plaster kit. Now, I'd worked with wood and plastic before, but on a 1:1 scale, not HO scale. A lot to learn, and now of course I started with a whle new type of material. Other than using plaster to fix the cracks in my horsehair-and-lath walls at home, I haven't worked with plaster before. Let alone on this small scale. A good thing it's relatively forgiving, because I'm finding all sorts of ways to break things and having to un-glue and re-glue.

Pictures of the opened kit and a first pass of the unwrapped walls, and dry-fitted windows and doors. Basic grey primer from a generic spray can outside. The second attempt (and now successfully squaredly) glued walls. While waiting for the instructions to clarify how to glue those two sections together, I glued the roof structures together. It's all drying now. Next up, dry-brushing on a good color brick paint (need to get). Then airbrush the plastic parts, and glue them in.

Edited by - miekec on 06/04/2015 10:17:50 PM

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  10:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  10:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've always loved the look of the Ed Fulasz kits and I even have one on the shelf require building. I'll be following along, Miekec! Looks like you are well on your way to a successful build.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  10:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. Forgot to mention I've started this with missing instructions. Wingin' it so far, but running into questions. Would love a scan/copy of them if anyone can do that...

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  07:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're off to a good start. I see you're using the popular Wall-Mart grey primer.

George

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  08:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  11:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, haven't posted here in a while.

I started writing this up in July:
Did continue working on the building, but clearly did not take enough pictures of the process.
The directions are only somewhat helpful - they leave a lot to the imagination. The engineer in me wants to re-write them completely and add drawings and pictures. Anyway.
I decided to dry-brush the brick red paint on. Simple water-based craft paint, easy to use. After reading some online write-ups of people, with good suggestions, I made the brick look like actual brick. The dry brushing wasn't as painful as I had feared it would be. Having the right brush definitely helps - a relatively short and very stiff bristle. And patience. Donít have much of thatÖ The gaps between most of the walls I spackled and painted, though I just noticed I forgot one giant one. It would be awesome to have something like a big needle to apply the spackle within the deeper end of that gap. Hm.
The wooden supports are very helpful. They provide structure, help with squaring the walls and gave me something to hold it together better. Jbvb's gridded mat helped a lot with making things (more) square as well. Highly recommended.

The stone ledge all around could have been concrete or sandstone; I liked the sandstone look better, so painted it with a tan to make it look like that. Letís see, what else? I put the roof together, spackled the cracks and then painted it black. They are supposed to be slates, so Iíll want to weather them some to get a proper grey, but this is a good first pass. For the rest of the roof I need to mix some paints to get the proper oxidized copper look. And then also use that on the pointy thingies that go on top of the roof. The clock tower needs its clock too - Iím googling for a fancy plate with roman numerals. Should not be too hard.

I also did my first airbrush job, painting all the plastic trim a nice color green. Getting used to new and somewhat more finicky equipment like that has somewhat of a learning curve. I'll get better over time. I do really like the even coating and how it gets into all the nooks and crannies much easier than a brush.

Now, it's October, and I'm finally continuing. With the model and this write-up. I had been a bit hasty and put the whole roof together without checking a proper fit. So, I ended up very carefully undoing part of it, and managed to not break anything. Some whittling at the roof edge by the clock tower made it so that the piece with the dentils fit flush onto the base, and the large roof could slide over and inbetween it and the clocktower roof. A lot of scrape a bit and test-fit again.
All the gaps between the walls are now filled in and painted. The brick red came out wrong at first, because I had forgotten to prime it with grey. That was an easy fix. I also used a small blade to continue the brick pattern into the spackling.
The roof looks much better now that I have painted the flashing a copper color. It's a little too bright still, but some washes should take care of that soon. Now that the roof is painted, I can start thinking about actually glueing it on. Can't wait to see it more like a whole building!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  08:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is coming along nicely, Miekec. Like some others, I have some of Ed's kits on the shelf. He makes some nice castings and good looking structures.

Bruce

Railrunner130
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  09:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! I've had my eye on this kit because it's somewhat similar to the Rutland's North Bennington Station. I'm not familiar with Ed Fulasz so I decided to hold off. The kit looks great.

Thanks for sharing.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  10:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miekec,
Looks like you are are doing a nice job with your first experience using plaster. Plaster can be a very easy, yet at the same time a difficult and temperamental material to work with. You'll have to play with the material for awhile to find the techniques which work for you.

quote:
It would be awesome to have something like a big needle to apply the spackle within the deeper end of that gap. Hm.

I would like to suggest three possibilities:
1) Knitting needles. The needles come if different sizes so there is some variation of diameter of the needle. Also think sewing machine needles. Sewing stores can be a gold mine for tools.
2) A set of small putty tools. To really expand your tool set options think clay pottery tools. MicroMark sells small putty/carving tool sets and United Art & Education has a huge selection of tools to dream about using. United sells the same basic putty tools which MicroMark sells, but United also has multiple different tool sets to provide more tool options. Examples here are:

-- http://www.micromark.com/7-piece-carvingandspatula-set,9502.html
-- http://www.unitednow.com/product/13700/potters-select-variety-sculpting-tool-set.aspx?item=29920

3) The low tech bamboo skewer. It's got a point and can be broken/split to provide different working surfaces to transfer Putty/Spackling Paste and work the putty into a seam.

AND... don't forget about the ever useful set of dental tools. Those tools will give you a whole host of new reasons to visit and love your dentist.

Hope that the above suggestions give you some ideas.

One of the modeling tricks when working with spackling pastes or putty to fill seams is to thin the putty a little bit prior to trying to fill the seam. Part of that transfer of 1:1 to HO scale...

I realize that the above suggestions are a bit late for this build, but now that you have a taste of plaster, ideas for the next adventure. Looking forward to seeing your continued work on this classic.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 10/22/2015 10:53:09 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  11:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use artist palette knives, both metal and plastic. I'll cut the plastic knifes into specific shapes to meet a project's need. They cost less than $1....

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  10:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In response to
quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

Wow! I've had my eye on this kit [...]
I'm not familiar with Ed Fulasz so I decided to hold off.

I highly recommend building it. Especially with some of the great suggestions here, it is very doable. I find the quality of the kit very good, it's just the instructions that leave a little to much to the imagination. If you get stuck, let me know and I'll try to help you best I can.

--Mieke.

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  7:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did several washes of grey 50/50 over the green, to make it look more like old oxydized copper. Not 100% happy with the resulting color, but definitely much better than it was. Once that was dry, used a tinytiny brush and touched up the black of the roof slates.

Now the last bit of paint should be to touch up the sandstone edges of the roof where the copper and black got on it, and then I should be set to glue the roof and tower on.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  7:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is coming along nicely! Keep going!,and please keep us posted!

Pete
in Michigan

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 11/21/2015 :  1:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The roof is on! It had been the next step for a while, and I was nervous about it. So, earlier this week I just bit the bullet and did it. With the plaster, I was concerned about breaking things when trying to make everything fit, but only one small piece did. There are still gaps to spackle, but I'm really happy with how it looks. Such a big difference.
Still have to make the roof slates less shiny, and some small stuff, but then the basic structure is done.
Next big step is adding sheds, based on pictures of what it used to look like.

Was going to post pictures, but my computer is not cooperating, so they will have to come later.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2015 :  1:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clearly I should get the platforms in place Real Soon Now!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Worlds Easiest HO Craftsman Kit Topic Next Topic: Brian Nolan Hardware  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000