Railroad Line Forums - Structures on the LP&N RR, vol.3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Structures on the LP&N RR, vol.3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Modifying a Hartland Flat
Page: of 85

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  10:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm on that little "break" too Bob. Please rest up!

And the "early" photo? Just like your current work : Excellent.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  11:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Looks like you've always been at the head of the class in modeling. I think the most interesting structure is the coaling tower with all its complexity yet modest size. Really about the only thing I can compare your scene with at the time were articles in magazine by the likes of Jack Work and Jock Oliphant.

Thank you for posting these.

Mike

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  1:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! These are the kind of photos that got me hooked on the hobby ... never got as far as you were when these photos were shot ... but still hooked. Thanks for re-fueling the inspiration.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  1:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just Briefly Bob', I think part of the allure of your modeling is the history that goes into it. I for one highly respect that history and all your many great experiences in life. And I'll always cherish DiMone Hardware'....Thank You Again' Bob'. And enjoy all and everything you do'...All the best to you!****...

Ted

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  2:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

"Wow!" is a pretty good descriptor for all of your stuff. The 50s photos are fabulous, and given what you didn't have to work with at the time, the Craftsmanship is obvious. Very, very nicely done.

So enjoy the break, rest up and have a few naps. We'll just be sitting quietly in the shade over here waiting for the Next Round.

Pete
in Michigan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  3:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great early modeling, Bob! I think my first attempt was modeling a rock. I started with a rock but when it was done it still didn't look like a rock.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  02:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! That's the kind of stuff I used to drool over when I was a teen and finally got ahold of some old model railroading magazines! Really great work, especially compared to a lot of what was being done in the '50s.

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  10:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sgtbob, you are a gifted man!!! Your talent for visualization and creation was in full force when you were a young man. While most of us we were just drooling (as Ray stated) over model railroad articles you were creating the art!! What a fantastic job on the engine house facility. The engine house is beautiful and tempting me to build a large scale copy.
Enjoy your break, Dave

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  11:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, your comments mean so much to me, all of them.

Dave, go ahead and make that facility in 1/29 scale, I would love to see that. Too big for me to
attempt and I'm sure you would do a great job of it.

Bob.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  11:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
It moved up on my list of things to build, however to save material and space it will only house one engine and have an attached tool shop. I'll try to be faithful to your original architecture.
cheers,
Dave

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  8:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, just returning from another work long weekend up at our cottage.
And I'm blown away by this fantastic looking HO scale engine facility that you built back in the late 50's!
Using what materials that you could find at the time.
If someone showed me these photo's and asked if I could guess who made this, I would have guessed John Allen.
Your modeling and work on this scene was way ahead of it's time, for back in the 50's!
Even the lighting of this engine facility looks perfect to me, and you know how much I love lighting up models.
Did this diorama ever get published in any of the magazines of that time?
What happened to this awesome model?
Did you win some awards for this work?
You certainly should have!
What other gems have you been hiding on us?

Greg Shinnie

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  07:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, Wow, thanks for the great post.

It's funny that you should mention John Allen. He along with Al Armitage and Jack Work all
influenced my early model railroad work. No, that model did not appear in any publication or
vie for any awards. For a long time I did a lot of other model work but saved model railroading
as a hobby and did not publish any of it. I hate to say it but I do not remember what happened to
that model. I built and tore down three HO scale model railroads back then and it somehow got
lost in the shuffle as far as I can remember. Most of my early magazine articles dealt with
ship models, aircraft models, and military models. To answer your questions I researched and found that
my first model photo was a ship model in 1972 and my first real article was for CAMPAIGNS in
1972. First Model Railroad article was not until Garden Railways 1991. Article #137 is in the hands of
the editor right now.

I don't have photos of much of my early work but here's a gas station that started as a 1/48
scale kit with much added. I would have to guess this was built back in the 1970's too.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  12:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, another wonderful looking diorama!
They really are at home, at your place!
Maybe you should start another thread, "Structures and other models not found on the LP&N RR".

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  1:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, It's great to see your earlier models that didn't get much exposure or publication. Terrific stuff!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  4:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
!* That is an awesome Red Crown Gasoline station, Bob. One of my first builds in 1/24 scale, was a red Crown station'...Another coincidence we share'.... As preveiously mentioned by forum members, PLEASE', let's see any other early builds......you may have photos of'...

Ted

Page: of 85 Topic Next Topic: Modifying a Hartland Flat  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000