Railroad Line Forums - Lineside Signals for the B&M Eastern Route
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Lineside Signals for the B&M Eastern Route
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: One Hare controlling two turnouts? Topic Next Topic: Tortoise and LED wiring
Page: of 7

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  2:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dunno, Frank - grounding OC3 will stick several signals at Stop, but connecting the SD3e1B Red input to +12VDC is likely to let some magic smoke out...

(which is why I write notes to myself as I build this stuff)

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  2:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Thanks, ed and Jim. Jim, I'm not sure what you mean - Bexley Depot and Engine House are separated by Bexley Tunnel, which has been in operation 10+ years. I got all of Bexley's interlockings into service last winter; the missing bracket arm signals are in West Lynn.

I was looking at that 'grayed out' section on the layout drawing, and didn't remember the tunnel.

Jim

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  11:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes "act now" is the right path; I should have bought the Model Shipways etched brass numbers (page 5) for automatic signals back in 2016. Now it appears Model Shipways has been swallowed up by another firm and the 2mm and 2.75mm letter/number sets aren't to be found on the website.

I can get 1/8" from miniatures.com (oversize, but maybe more legible) and 2mm from secretweaponminiatures.com. Anyone have other suggestions? Europe/UK included, as I have overseas family who would probably help.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  12:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few updates on my signals: Once in a while something on a contact gives an incorrect indication. All cases to date have been fixed by throwing the guilty turnout a few times.

I am testing a prototype Spring Switch Controller from Azatrax:

This is the 'three wire' version, for use with Kemtron etc. twin coil solenoid machines. I added the outboard relays so the machine could be driven by my capacitor discharge supply. It has a rectifier but its built-in relays buzz a bit on AC. It's not on Azatrax's site today, but I understand it and the '2-wire' (Tortoise etc.) version should be available soon.

Like many other Azatrax products, it uses I/R LED and detector pairs to detect trains. I used the 'reflective sensing' mode, which was a little tricky where I had little room. It works well, but detection & throw take a moment: 2" from the 'branch' sensor to the rail gaps is OK up to maybe 40 scale MPH. I don't mind because the prototype limits speed to 25 MPH or less when pushing switchpoints over.

I had to update the Newburyport diagram to reflect this and the use of Rob Paisley's LED drivers instead of SD-3s:

I fixed several errors/omissions in labels too.

I still haven't addressed the two 'bracket arm' mast signals for West Lynn, but I've found what I hope will be a better solution for removable signal connectors. More on that when it gets to the head of the queue.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  08:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work James. Even if I have no clue what you're doing.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: One Hare controlling two turnouts? Topic Next Topic: Tortoise and LED wiring  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000