Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash
Page: of 19

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  07:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can smell the salt air!

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  09:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

This is some of the best scenery I've seen in any scale. Well thought out and executed. I'm impressed with your shoreline vegetation with the different sizes of weeds and everything.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

wabashbanks
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  9:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work!

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  9:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, really appreciate the encouragement.

Bruce, wondered if you saw the granary where Rt 13 and Rt 13 Business meet (below). I hope to reproduce it on my railroad Enjoy Hilton Head!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I did indeed. The propane dealership siding was busy, too.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  7:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a resident of Ocean View Delaware I enjoy seeing a DelMarVa railroad.

While I am primarily a narrow gauger I look at the line paralelling 113 from Selbyville up to Georgetown as a great operating line. Propane, fertilizer, grain shipments, coal to a power plant and specialty chemicals from seawater refining at Lewes make for an interesting modern operation. Turn back the clock and you get farm equipment and other freight. Of course P:48 SG would definitely fill my single garage stall.

Keep up the good work and when we visit our son in Houston maybe an op session will be in order (if that is the part of Texas you now live in).

Bill Uffelman Ocean View Delaware

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2016 :  4:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I'm surprised I've not seen anyone model that area. It always looked interesting to me and does seem to have a lot of operations potential.

I've started on the large dock that will be the last shoreline structure. It will be a simple pier with nothing on it. There will be a concrete pad on the shore where fishing, clamming and other materials are stored. I think any larger industries would be inconsistent with the area.

I've also started experimenting with techniques to make my marsh grass. Started out by ordering 12mm static grass from Scenic Express. I have a Noch Grass Master but the company recommends their Grass Master 2.0 for 12 mm grass. The difference is about a 25% power (static charge?) increase in the 2.0 model. I don't really want to spend the $160+ dollars for something that I already have so I thought I'd see how my model works with the longer fibers.

It's ok, enough to be acceptable. Unlike bogs, every strand of salt grass (the marsh grass of the Eastern Shore) stands straight up. I'm sure I'd have better luck with the new Grass Master but think I'll deal with what I have.

I used a thin piece of clear acetate as a base and spread the acrylic gel I'm using for water on top. Then applied the grass. Finally added a bit of brown ink wash to the base. I think this will do as when I place it on the layout, I'll be able to blend in the grass using the gel when I make the new water. Using the clear acetate allows the base water color to show through where there isn't grass coverage and I don't have the wicking of water up the grass which I've experienced in past tries. Below are some tests. Also testing what color I want for the grass; green, green with wheat highlights, or wheat with green highlights.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2016 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you plan to hide the edges?

Mike

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2016 :  8:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

How do you plan to hide the edges?

Mike, I think that when I use the acrylic gel to create the water surface, I can use it to blend the edges of the very thin acetate into the gel layer..

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2016 :  08:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the look of the grass so I'm looking to see how it works out.

Mike

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  11:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dock is build and ready for staining.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  07:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very very nice. I'm impressed by some of the details you've included such as the nbw's on the sides, which I can't recall seeing in most models of docks. I also like the way you did the piling. I have the impression you have studied the prototype carefully.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  09:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Dave!

Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  12:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. Very impressive Dave! I can't wait to see it stained.

Mark

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  08:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the deck, Dave.

George

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000