Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0?
Page: of 79

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  5:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of Ben King's switch tower somehow...

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  6:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He modeled approximately the same period, when frame structures were painted with different trim and body colors. Also, windows were generous with H:W in a 2:1 ratio or thereabouts.

I’ve always liked his work since I first saw articles of his in the 1960’s.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  02:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice colors on the building. I had no idea NMRA made kits. Guess in very limited amount?

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  10:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Thank you.

NMRA divisions and Regions will sometimes arrange with a manufacturer for custom-made kits to partially find a convention or to simply supplement the bank account. Yes, runs will be short but on some cases the manufacturer retains the right to issue the kit in the future.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  6:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a very nice building and I like it a lot. Do you have a link so one can see how it will look assembled?

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  12:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Sorry for my late reply; I missed your post. Here's a link to photos of kits available: https://keystonedivision.org/convention_kits/convention_kits.html

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 04/12/2019 12:31:17 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  01:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

Happy Easter!

Håkan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mike I missed this project, I'm just getting caught up. Nice build, is this made from cardboard? I wasn't aware the NMRA did such projects.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  10:05:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, thank you. I’m told the thicker parts are a special composite that works well with laser cutters. Think sheets used for trim appear to be card.

The NMRA is all over the map on the activities of divisions and regions. Very much a grassroots organization.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  10:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, thank you. I’m told the thicker parts are a special composite that works well with laser cutters. Think sheets used for trim appear to be card.

The NMRA is all over the map on the activities of divisions and regions. Very much a grassroots organization.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  6:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I realized today I had never posted the final steps of my construction of the B&O telegraph office. So here we go.

I like the construction method the kit uses to form both the shape of the roof and the rafter tails:

Simulated slate being applied . . .

. . . and trimmed:

A couple photos of the completed model:

And the finished model on my layout:

I might build a platform and use it as a very small depot, or who knows? That was fun.

Last weekend I gave a clinic on building this kit at our NMRA division's annual mini convention.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  7:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea for the roof, makes the rafter tails actually part of rafters :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  12:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, pretty clever.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  07:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good. That's about the size for a depot that could fi on my layout.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  08:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill!

I’m thinking this building could serve a lot of purposes; an office for a coal yard, for instance.

Mike

Page: of 79 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000