Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 85

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  12:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, nice view of the lumber yard. Another way to make lumber stacks that John Nehrich came up with is to get Evergreen 0.02" thick freight car scribed siding in a couple different widths for the planks.
Cut pieces the length and width of the stacks you want, then on the ends of the stacks cut away slight, but different small amounts off the individual plank ends to give the pile a hand stacked look.
Glue up the height you want for a stack, lightly sand the outer surfaces and paint with flat acrylic craft paints to match the wood(s) of your choice.You can make a lot of stacks from a sheet.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  5:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bill. Also, I appreciate the suggestion; it makes a lot of sense and gives me another option.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  5:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm taking a break from my challenge project to build a B&O telegraph office, one of several laser kits offered by the NMRA division I am in; sales will go for a regional convention next year. I was asked to do a clinic showing how I built it at a mini-convention our division hosts in April.

I decided my telegraph office will become a very small country depot. I started it several weeks ago, but now that I have an intended purpose for the structure I thought I would post a few images of my progress.

Here are the parts laid out:

The core assembled; window sashes painted and "glass" glued in place before assembly:

The interior has a desk in the bay and counters to separate the office from the public area.

More later.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  8:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! A build thread from the ground up!

I may have read over it/missed it, whatever, but... is this a kit or did you design/laser cut it yourself?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  8:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice adaptation, nice start. How did the B&O ;use a telegraph office that wasn't also a station?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  12:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

I may have read over it/missed it, whatever, but... is this a kit or did you design/laser cut it yourself?

Andre,

This is a kit. I was given one to do the clinic.

Thank you for following along.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  12:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

nice adaptation, nice start. How did the B&O ;use a telegraph office that wasn't also a station?

Bob

Bob,

Thank you.

I asked somebody what the function of a telegraph office was and he said that long-distance messages had to be repeated. I can’t figure the purpose of the bay window if not for carrying out other functions such as a train order station, flag stop etc.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  07:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In areas I know,'telegraph offices' were usually in yards or other RR operating facilities that didn't have a station conveniently located. Being a 'station' usually had implications about timetables and public access that weren't appropriate for non-mainline, freight-only trackage. But the typical freight yard or support facility for a major shipper sent and received a lot of telegraph traffic.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  09:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Thank you for the information. It makes sense. Here’s a link describing one:

http://www.columbusrailroads.com/new/utility/display_html.php?color_primary=99&color_secondary=176&color_text=173+%28should+often+be+173+WHITE+or+176+BLACK%29&header_photo=gg-n%26w-43-270.jpg&htmltitle=Cleveland+Avenue&file=.%2Flive%2F05Steam_Railroads%2F35Towers_and_More%2FCleveland+Avenue.htm

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  3:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yhat was very interesting. Thanks.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  11:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing I like about this kit is the opportunity to apply several trim colors, prototypical for my period. Backing up a little, I show here the components that make up one wall: the core, siding layer, and trim layer. Window sashes were typically painted a dark color such as black or red, and the body and trim were contrasting colors.

The walls have been glued to the core:

Trim added:

Next, the roof.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  12:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.-.. --- --- -.- ... --. --- --- -.. -- .. -.- .

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  1:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-.-- . .--.

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  2:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
— .... .— —. —.— ...

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 04/01/2019 2:07:46 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  3:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 85 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000