Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: scratchbuilding a 34 boxcar (styrene) Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build
Page: of 68

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  12:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mike. How about a close up of both your consolidations?
Are they both re-boiler-ed?
I like the placement of the coal dock. It will disguise and brake-up the backdrop nicely. I think the finished brewery will be an interesting industry and also serve to breakup the scenes.
And nothing is too crowded ether. It's just looking very good.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  3:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bob. My purpose for building the coal trestle was in part to disguise the backdrop, but originally I placed it into a corner with a long reach. I decided to move it to a place where the scene is much shallower for better access during operations.

Iím trying to use some restraint in spacing industries for the sake of realism.

Iíve only reboilered the one locomotive in the background. The other is stock Athearn and I still need to change the lettering. Iíll put up some photos.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  5:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

That roasting house is indeed distinctive. It is the sort of structure that begs inquiry if it is not recognized. Neat.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  9:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I just finished reading your web site. Very well written and intelligently put together'.. I enjoyed it. You sure have a very nice collection of scratch built structures and rolling stock'... Nice job all the way around Mike'..

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  10:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just catching up on this again , Michael. Very nice work as mentioned. Another facet of this hobby I need to learn. Thanks for your excellent tutorial. I will file this for future use. Thanks for sharing your work.
Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  07:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Galen, Once I learned what these structures were, I could spot them in many old photos. Sometimes only one tower.

Ted, I spent some time yesterday doing updates and (hopefully) eliminating dead links. Iím glad you liked it.

Rich, I appreciate your comments. Very kind.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  8:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As promised, my two locomotives:

On the left, a stock Athearn consolidation, still needing lettering altered. Other than adding a DCC decoder I've left it alone. It runs great.

On the right is the MDC kit model that I showed on a previous page with a replaced boiler, but needing its lantern. I plan to install a decoder.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  9:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, They look good.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  10:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Thanks Mike, They look good.

Youíre welcome Bob.

Iíve been busy making changes to my track plan, adding more switching spots, but Iím thinking of working on the reboilered locomotive next.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  2:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ever noticed how Forums members will disappear for weeks or months and then resurface, and it turns out they are actually building a layout? So many parts of that effort just aren't very exciting when documented step by step. They've been busy, but behind the scenes.

I've taken a break from building structures and rolling stock to work on track and wiring. I reworked the track on about 12' of my layout, planned where roads and structures will go, and now I am rewiring. I am determined that ALL sections of track will have drops to the bus under the layout and All turnouts will have powered frogs before I finish. I suspect like many of us, if things seem to be running well I don't do this until there is a problem, usually after ballasting the track.

All track is down and I've spent the past week or so rewiring. Now there's something that to document or to read would be bo-o-o-o-ring. So I've not posted much here.

I'll show one thing. For many years I used the Tortoise switch machines to throw turnouts and change polarity on the frog, but I decided a decade ago not to do so because I have some pretty tight situations; they can be awkward to install, especially over my head; they require additional wiring to a power source; and I like reaching into my layout and throwing some kind of mechanical device.

For many years that device has been the famous Caboose turnout throws with the integral contacts for controlling frog polarity. In recent years I've been installing mini slide switches because they seem less fragile and easier to work with. Here's an example installation:

After using some very small ones which did not have enough movement to fully throw a Shinohara turnout, I discovered a larger one that is almost perfect.

A modeling friend of mine really looks down on slide switches in this role, but the alternative doesn't look much more real, to my eye at least:

That's a spot where I have old and new installations. I might experiment with painting the slide switches to make them less noticeable.

I should have completed all trackwork in the part of my layout representing Auburn in the next day or so.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  6:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike how do you avoid getting shorts with the two point rails soldered together?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  6:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I think building the railroad is more important than building treads. I also think your throw linkage would be better if you put a "V" in the Perpendicular part of the wire to give you a little spring action on the points.

It's only make-believe

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  8:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Mike, what they say', "to each his own". The best part about a individuals layout is the freedom of doing it the way that makes you happy'.. I like those switches, and they make good sense. If they install easy and work well, hey, that's half the battle right. Also, very nice looking steamers mike even without the lantern...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  8:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank and Bob,

Thank you both.

Frank, in this photo of a Shinohara turnout . . .

. . . you can see the two gaps to the left of the frog. The frog and points are all one unit and the two points have the same polarity. This unit is electrically isolated from the stock rails. This means no short, but it also means that the open point and nearby stock rail have opposite polarity, a problem if a wheel spans the gap and shorts out the system. This is not usually a problem with DC; there might be a small spark but the momentum of the loco and brevity of the short carries the loco past the point of the short. Not so with DCC, which shuts down with even very brief shorts. Therefore these turnouts are considered NOT "DCC friendly." Because my locos are small and I use no. 6 turnouts almost exclusively I really do not have this problem.

The advantage of this turnout is that there are no dead spots, even without the slide switch if point rails snuggle nicely against stock rails; they usually fail to do so at some point, hence the slide switch.

Bob, the slide switch just barely slides enough to throw the turnout and therefore I don't need a spring. To avoid shorts as explained above, the Shinohara turnouts are built to have an unprototypically-large gap between the open point and nearby stock rail, therefore requiring a significant throw.

On the other hand, on the Micrengineering turnout . . .

. . . points are isolated from each other and from the frog; note the four gaps that isolate the frog and the plastic tie bar. Each point is wired to the adjacent stock rail, preventing shorts if a wheel bridges the gap between the open point and nearby stock rail. As a result the frog is dead and must be powered by an electric switch if necessary. It isn't necessary for my consolidation but is for my 4-4-0. This kind of turnout is said to be "DCC friendly."

The throw on these is relatively small and actually less than the smallest mini slide switch I have, so the little "V" shaped spring is needed to take up the extra throw of the switch.

I hope I didn't go overboard on my explanation. If you reached this point, thank you for your attention and patience.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  8:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

You know Mike, what they say', "to each his own". The best part about a individuals layout is the freedom of doing it the way that makes you happy'.. I like those switches, and they make good sense. If they install easy and work well, hey, that's half the battle right. Also, very nice looking steamers mike even without the lantern...

Ted,

Thank you. Not only do I try to think independently, but I reserve the right to change my mind!

Mike

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: scratchbuilding a 34 boxcar (styrene) Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000