Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 12

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  7:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Vagel. In another thread, http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46400 there's talk about wetting solutions. What did you use to glue down the ballast between the ties?

George

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  11:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, George. That's an interesting thread. I've used both dish washing liquid and 90% isopropyl alcohol as wetting agents with good results. Most recently I've used alcohol, but it has one liability that soapy water does not: it is a solvent that will craze acrylic and other non-spirits based paints. So, I've shifted from Polly-S track weathering colors to mineral spirits based Floquil versions for tie and track weathering.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 12/05/2015 11:17:13 AM

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  02:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

I rather like the transition between the embankment fill and the grass, rather than the sharper transition after you cleaned the loose material. I think the blended transition gives the embankment more of a feeling of grounding and age to the structure

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  08:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Vagel. I am looking forward to seeing more updates.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  12:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good Vagel.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/31/2015 :  3:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year, everybody. Started to fill in the blank surface around the big ore prep plant and tipple at Buchanan yesterday with WS coarse and fine brown ballast to represent rubble and fill material. Here's a snapshot of the first stage of initial layers while still wet with diluted glue:

It dried darker than the image shows, but still isn't the same shade as the painted rock face, so I'll need blend things in after all is said and done. Today I extended the initial layers out to cover the loading tracks up to the rear of the tipple building, which would just stick into this view at left if I hadn't moved it out of the way, and the embankment.

On a note related to the iron industry, I recently found on a Facebook page called "Where the Hell is Saxton?" an old photograph of the Riddlesburg, PA blast furnace taken ca. 1920 from across the Raystown Branch Juniata River. I have a digital copy of a similar shot in my collection from research I did for my PhD dissertation, but this one is somewhat better. This is the furnace that inspired my freelance Richmond, PA furnace, so I thought I'd share a couple comparison images:

That's all for this year. See you in 2016.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2015 :  5:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel,
Indeed, Happy New Year! Love that blast furnace of yours. Still on my list of to do's but not sure where it would go on my layout. I'm caught up in that prototype modelling vortex now.
Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  01:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vagel, Happy new year and WOW, you have definitely captured the look of that facility. Well done!

Mark

potsy
Section Hand

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  10:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Vagel, Just found your thread your is inspiring to say the least just getting started in Ho myself hope to post some pictures someday great job on your layout. Sorry to here about your dear friend Don

Mark from Ohio

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  6:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks (belated), guys.

There's been some incremental progress in the Buchanan area to report.

A second layer of fine brown ballast around the processing plant and tipple was needed to cover three screws I had to drive thru the 1/2" blue foam into the plywood understory to deal with warpage when the glue in the ballast shrunk.

To begin the process of hiding the seam along a vertical transition zone, I fitted a short length of Noch random stone sheeting and painted it with acrylics to match the ground cover. The still-wet resin paper and glue in the left background hides a gap between two pieces of blue foam that formed a ditch ... it's been on the list of things to do forever.

Another task that has been waiting for attention for a long, long time is covering the seam around the hatch that hides the access hole to the hidden track of the standard gauge S. Penn Branch beneath Buchanan. I started that today, as well, using the flexible nylon window screen technique that I employed on the removable hillside sections around the corner in Chambersburg.

Here's an overview of the area under construction as it was at the end of the day. I "reddened" the brown coarse and fine ballast with some nice fine "iron ore" from Scenic Express, but I'll still have to get out the acrylics and lighten and subdue the dark-redness on those high cuts to ease the visual transition in color. We'll have to see how that goes ...

That's all for this post. See you soon, I hope ...

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 04/20/2016 6:43:07 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  7:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, though I have to take your word for western PA's rock colors. There's not much rock that dark in my part of New England.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  7:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Looks good, though I have to take your word for western PA's rock colors.

I'm actually trying to imitate South-Central PA, where the Juniata Iron Region is. Where iron ore measures are present, the shale has a distinctly red-brown tint transitioning to gray-brown. Not so in Western PA, where the substrata can vary from gray-brown to sand tan.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 02/03/2016 7:15:21 PM

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  8:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I got the colors to blend ... heavy dry brushed mixture of raw umber & burnt sienna w/ touches of yellow oxide & scarlet.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 02/03/2016 9:38:29 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  11:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel,

Nice job with that hatch. We have a couple on our club layout to try to disguise.

Mike

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  08:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your puttering along very nicely. Very tidy looking.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000