Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Page: of 12

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  11:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks nice. Since one leg of this July's trip to Cleveland will be via Pittsburgh, perhaps I'll get a chance to see it in person.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  2:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time for a quick update.

Earlier in the month, John Polyak snapped a shot of me working on the rock outcrop on the ridge above Springtown:

Here's the result of about an hour and a half work, after it had dried for 24 hours:

A week later, we made another 140 puffball trees (total so far approx. 1,400). A couple fly-over's of the nursery:

Yesterday, I mixed up another batch of ground goop and planted some of those trees to fill in the area below the rock outcrop on Richmond Hill, around the corner from Springtown:

That's it for now.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  7:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Vagel! I'll bet you think you make a lot of puffballs...until you plant them on the layout and then wonder where they all went, right? I'll be facing that problem in the near future.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  5:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These big hillsides DO eat puffballs, Mark. I've used at least 125 so far on this Richmond Hill knob. I had another ground goop/puffball planting session on this Wednesday, which depleted the stock enough that we'll have another puffball-making session in the near future.

Here's a couple update shots of the area I've been fixated on the past several weeks. Still lots to do here ...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  6:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, for what it's worth Vagel, your progress is evident and it looks great!

Mark

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  8:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hillside is looking good. It's a nice 3D backdrop.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  02:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On parts of hills that are relatively near to scale-size objects, would it save work to make larger puffballs? This would only be useful if the a 2" or 3" puffball would take the same effort as a 1" and manage to look like a somewhat bigger/nearer treetop.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  12:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hung out a Vagel's last Wednesday while he applied ground goop and planted trees. It was a nice way to spend time. The "opening shot" (first thing you see when you come through the outer door) is really moving along!

Don

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  09:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quick update on the Richmond Hill/Springtown puffball forestation project. I finally filled in the last patch yesterday when Don was here, expending the remains from the last puffball-making session. So, at least there'll be something for the group to do next Wednesday.

Next project is to address that bilious aquamarine brook and surrounding terrain:

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  10:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks great Vagel! Excellent progress. So I have to ask; have you guys done any more operating on the layout?

Mark

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  11:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a good time hanging out with Vagel yesterday, even though all I did was drink his soda and eat his cookies and chat with him.

Don

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  11:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

I had a good time hanging out with Vagel yesterday, even though all I did was drink his soda and eat his cookies and chat with him.

Don

Cookies! When's the next work session?

Nice progress, Vagel. A hillside like that can sure eat up puffballs.

George

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  3:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

That looks great Vagel! Excellent progress. So I have to ask; have you guys done any more operating on the layout?

<sigh> No formal sessions since my last post on the subject in the Ops SIG Forum. It's in the works, though ...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  8:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lookin' good, Vagel!

Pete
in Michigan

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  2:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don called in with a Dr's excused absence yesterday, so all I did was run a train on the ore branch. I posted an illustrated narrative on the B&SGE Ops thread in the Layout Design/Ops SIG forum.

Off to scout camp for another two weeks; c'ya when I get back.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000