Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: ida ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 12

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  5:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like.

Pete
in Michigan

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  3:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... quick update on the massive moveable rock face below Reed Trestle. Here's a perspective shot to orient you:

I decided to fill in the entire base area, then work upward.

I add some charcoal gray dry pigment to each batch of Plaster of Paris "to taste," hoping that there isn't too much differentiation in shade when it dries. We'll see. Of course, staining can cover a multitude of sins ...

All for now.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  7:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick check-in; I'm still at work on the rock work and will post some update pics when I have finished. I've been distracted with glitches in two new arrivals, one of which persists after being "fixed" by the manuf. warrantee repair dep't ... so, I decided to let them sit in the engine terminal and get back to work.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  7:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back at it, Vagel!

You gonna add in another delay this weekend for the Midwest Narrow Gauge Show? We have Moxie!

Pete
in MIchigan

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  7:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

You gonna add in another delay this weekend for the Midwest Narrow Gauge Show? We have Moxie!

See yinz on Saturday! But isn't that area a protected watershed?

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  8:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

quote:

We'll save you a couple of extra cans....

Pete
in Michigan

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  01:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

quote:

We'll save you a couple of extra cans

Pete
in Michigan

I'll bring a P38 so I can dispose of the Moxie by-product properly ... in an empty can ... pack-in, pack out.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  12:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to hear from you Vagel! I was wondering what had happened to you. I'm anxious to see how the rock face turned out.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  01:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

It's good to hear from you Vagel! I was wondering what had happened to you. I'm anxious to see how the rock face turned out.

Here's a teaser ...

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/24/2017 :  5:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was good to see all the guys from the Great Lakes HOn30 crew at the Midwest Narrow Gauge Show on Saturday. I'm still "chipping away" on the lift-out rock face project. One more application to fill in the notch to the right of the wet section show in this view; it's sketched in with pencil. That'll be a total of 8 applications, each one taking about 20 minutes to work.

I'll be at the RPM meet in Greensburg, PA on Saturday if any'a'yinz are planning to come out.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great! Sorry I can't be in Greensburg

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  6:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rock work is done and ready for staining and other weathering to blend the stark line between coloration:

The area above the rock face will be covered with various textures of ground foam materials and some and scrub based on pieces of Scenic Express Supertrees armatures.

These images show the results after staining and applying AIM Products weathering powders to further disguise the different shades of gray in the raw rock work due to nonuniform mixtures white plaster of paris and charcoal gray pigment in the different batches.

The first image was made after the stain had dried but before I had gone very far with the weathering powders.

I used Soot, Medium Earth, and Dark Earth and worked the colors in with soft and stiff brushes.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 04/04/2017 12:57:14 PM

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  6:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Great! Sorry I can't be in Greensburg

Sorry you couldn't make it; the clinics were superb, as was the modeling in the model room.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.71 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000