Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 12

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  10:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

One of the things that makes it stand out a wee bit to me is that there is a lot more foliage and texture on the left and bottom of the access hatch than the surrounding scenery ... if that makes sense?

Good call, Neil.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/16/2016 :  9:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thunder storms in the area are messing up the digital cable feed on the ball game (and the Pirates are stinking up the joint in Flushing, anyway), so some therapeutic board-by-boardness seemed to be called for -- the cribbing on the loading dock for the Buchanan house track is finally underway tonight. I snapped this picture while checking clearances with an EBT boxcar just to be sure:

And over last weekend I achieved moderate success with the foliage disguise on the access hatch. There are still a few spots that need some "touching up," but it's time to move on to other scenery tasks for a while ...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2016 :  10:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hatch looks really good Vagel! I can't see the seams.

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job of hiding the seam, Vagel.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  08:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything new happening on the B&SGE, Vagel?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  10:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you've been quiet. Too quiet!

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  1:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am still here. Work and operations on the layout have been very sporadic with no real progress to report, although I was able to score a decent looking substitute for Floquil rail brown at the National Narrow Gauge Convention. I hope to get back to work in the near future and finish Ph. 1 of scenery in Buchanan, where I left off in June.

While at the Narrow Gauge convention, I took advantage of Boothbay Rwy and Village's "Engineers Society" program. You give them some money, which goes directly into their restoration fund, and they put you behind the throttle of a 2-ft gauge 0-4-0 for a couple hours of the most fun you can have standing up!

Wifey snapped this shot of me pulling a train load of convention-goers, some of them fellow Mini-Bunchers who were all smiles, too ... until they saw who was at the throttle.

It's BYO coveralls, BTW, but they give you a nifty hat, work gloves, and a suitable for framing certificate.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 10/27/2016 1:21:54 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  4:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vagel, sorry that I missed you at the NNGC. Who knows, you might have been at the throttle when I road the train at the Boothbay Rwy.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  10:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you Vagel. Now that is very cool! And who says money can't buy happiness!

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  11:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy railroading in whatever scale! I visited Boothbay on the rather hot Friday of the NNGC.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  5:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally back to work on scenery, completing a couple of first tasks in multi-task projects that have been languishing for years. Below, that big removable cliff face below Reed Trestle on the n.g. Buchanan iron ore branch has the overlap screen glued and tacked:

Up-grade at the lower end of Buchanan one of the neat little EBT-style watchman shanties that the late-Don Reed built will serve as a switchman's shelter. The foam scenery base abutting the plywood sub-roadbed slanted to give the shanty a noticeable lean, so I had to shim it with a couple pieces of scrap wood wedges, first sealed with an over spray of Testors clear coat before gluing them down with Aileen''s:

Aaaaand, we're back at it!

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 01/02/2017 5:24:39 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  6:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress.

Good.

Pete
in MIchigan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  10:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like I wasn't the only one reintroducing himself to his railroad yesterday! I'm glad to see you back at it Vagel!

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  5:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks! It IS nice to shake off the cob webs.

Here is a shot of wet plaster rock carving under way, overlapping the seam between the removable cliff face and the Reed Ravine mini-scene. To illustrate how fast this went, I did this in the break between the Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl games (as I type this there are still 10 minutes 'til kick-off). It goes THAT fast using the Foscale method.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000