Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 12

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  5:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote

This thread is essentially Volume 2 of my now almost five-and-a-half-year-old thread on the construction of an HO/HOn3 layout, titled "A New Home for the Blacklog & Shade Gap Eastern." Since neither the home, nor the layout, are 'new' any longer, and the thread has reached the unwieldy length of 100 pages, I thought it was time to start a new one.

As with the old thread, "Continuing Adventures" will chronicle the on-going scenery work and final track work on the layout. If you're new to this project, feel free to bone up on our history by clicking on the following link to "A New Home for the Blacklog & Shade Gap Eastern" thread:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22893

We have also begun operations on the layout using the tried and true car card and waybill system, and I started a thread on our adventures and mis-adventures in the Layout Design/Operation SIG Forum, which you can review at the following link:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38286

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  6:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Volume II!! Woo-Hoo!

This is getting better and better!

Thanks, Vagel. May the B&SGE continue to inspire.

Pete
in MIchigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  6:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on opening Volume II, Vagel, and thanks for those links. I helps bind everything together.

Now the important question. Is that a RR-L mug that you have in your hand?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  6:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just as Tom Clancy's "Russian sub skipper don't take a dump without a plan, son," a half-way smart model railroader doesn't start a layout without a track plan. Mine was more or less firmed up when we started construction in September 2008. If you read back in the old thread, you'll see that there were some modifications along the way, but the places are the same.

The layout represents a fictionalized version of part of the Pennsylvania RR's Cumberland Valley Branch and it's appendant South Penn Branch connecting to the narrow gauge B&SGE at Richmond Furnace. Place names are real; track configuration totally freelanced. The standard gauge is in black, narrow gauge in red.

Here are some then and now images that I put together from old posts to the "New Home" thread.

Below, left, is what you would've seen from the front door in September 2008, followed by the view greeting visitors today:

This is Cowans Gap in September 2008, at left, and by 2012.

The hole in the wall at upper right is hidden by the iron ore tipple ...

... while a covered bridge hides the hole on the left:

Finally, here's the PRR yard at Chambersburg, from laying out the benchwork to the present.

Along the way, we've had a lot of fun, and I've enjoyed the whole hearted support of my best friend and wife (and CFO/Director of Acquisitions) Debbie, who appears with me in this photoshopped railfan picture posed on a trestle built by coconspirator Don Reed:

Along the way, the layout plan and I have both undergone some changes. I my case, the biggest change is the loss of 35+ pounds, documented by various spies and kibitzers with cameras:

I think that's about enough intro. We try to have small group work sessions every Wednesday. At present, we're in the puff ball tree making mode, but things can change at the whim of ME ... or arm twisting by the minions. We'll post more current events as they occur. Stay tuned ...

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  8:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vagel, congratulations on starting volume II.
You've made a lot of progress over the years.

Congratulations as well on the weight loss.

As you think, so will you be.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  01:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on Vol II. I see you've lost some unwanted pounds along the way too. Congrats on that! I'm working on that myself.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  10:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on Vol.II. It's been an adventure I have enjoyed following.

Gordon

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  10:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on starting Vol 2 Vagel! I've enjoyed following along through Vol 1 and I know Vol 2 will be just as enjoyable. Funny thing was that just the other day after commenting on your thread, I went back to page 1 to take a look at the beginning, and then you post those same pics on the first page here! Ah, the memories!

Mark

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  9:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John and I kibitzed and encouraged and Vagel spread and carved both Ground Goop and plaster. He also planted a bunch of the trees we make last week. He promises that the Tree Production Commissar will have an adequate supply of ground foam so we can meet quota.

Stay tuned.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  10:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's nice to be reminded of the plan; I think I saw it years ago, but recently I have wondered occasionally how things fit together.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  07:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on starting volume II. I'll be following your continuing adventures with interest.

George

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  11:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vagel,

Congratulations on completing 100 pages on your "first edition" - and thanks for the photos comparing before and after. I remember when you started this adventure and you certainly have come a long way and have provided some enjoyable reading and viewing!

Al Carter

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of these years when I'm back in the 'Burgh, I'll get the opportunity to see the layout...

dave

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  11:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

One of these years when I'm back in the 'Burgh, I'll get the opportunity to see the layout...

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Davie, you're always welcome.

ebtnut
New Hire

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  3:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the continuing story, Vagel. Hope some one of these weekends we won't be pre-committed like usual and get back over for another visit.

Deane

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  6:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow, we'll have to make more puffballs. John has kindly donated some foliage material that has been helping to keep his garage from floating into outer space for several years, so we're foliage-rich again.

Here are some pictures from last week. I used the last of a 1/2-gallon container of Plaster of Paris on this uplifted rock outcropping:

The final result is a much lighter gray than in these pictures; it takes about 12 hours for the plaster to cure completely.

The guys goaded me into planting some of those puffballs:

Don took this picture showing the progress before the guys had to leave:

Later, I used the last of the ground goop as the base for closing the gap in the treeline between Richmond Hill and the ridge behind Springtown:

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 10/23/2014 11:21:45 PM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000