Railroad Line Forums - The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 233 ]  [ Total: 236 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Texas Topic Next Topic: My WW1 2021 So Many Choices” Challenge Thread
Page: of 10

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  06:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Verne, love the armoured car.

Larry, THat's what I plan to do, I'm taking the kits with me next week to North Bay.

Geezer, that think will scare anything away.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just a very short update........

To make it official, here is my kit.

Another great looking resin kit from BVM and I love it when I get a free surprise inside.

Really looking forward in starting this kit next week.

Ron Newby
General Manager

Edited by - elwoodblues on 10/25/2013 07:46:21 AM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  08:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, according to my unofficial electronic translation doohickey, "instructions" in American English translates to "free scrap paper" in Canadian English and I've obviously failed to obey Canadien law and include the alternative: "libre corbeille papier" (Je suis désolé ... sorry, eh.)

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Edited by - dallas_m on 10/25/2013 08:38:42 AM

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  4:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dallas_m

Yes, according to my unofficial electronic translation doohickey, "instructions" in American English translates to "free scrap paper" in Canadian English and I've obviously failed to obey Canadien law and include the alternative: "libre corbeille papier" (Je suis désolé ... sorry, eh.)

That's OK Dallas, I won't turn you into the language Police.

Ron Newby
General Manager

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  06:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!!!

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  02:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Inspired by Ron's fantastic scratch built field gun, Larry's link to the No.1 Armoured Train and Bernd's brass work, I thought I'd give it a try.
So I started to build a 13 pounder 9 cwt. Because the gun is essentially an 18 pounder with a sleeve in the barrel, I was able to get plans off Wiki. Reduced the barrel drawing to o scale and used ratio analysis of other photos to determine other dimensions.

I know the barrel is 8' long and it is 57 mm in the photo, so I can get a pretty good idea of the rest of the dimensions by measuring the various parts. For example the recoil mech is 39 mm, thus 39 mm divided by 57 mm multipied by 8 feet equals 5 1/1 feet. If you have one 'known' dimension, such as a door at 80" tall, then you can get some pretty accurate measurements from photos.

The finer details and mount still need to be completed. The barrel is 8 feet long with a 3" bore. It was built up with various brass tube to a max. od of 4mm. The recoil mech has a max. od of 3mm. They were soldered and then chucked in my drill press and shaped. The breech was created by coiling 1mm flat stock around the base, soldered and shaped on the drill press.

Sorry my soldering skills need a lot of work. Nothing like a close up to the flaws.

Cheers, Heath.

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  04:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heath, your skills are better than mine, M8 !!

Verne, THAT is one heck of an armoured train!!!!!

Larry, LOVE the gun!!!

And, Dallas willing, my FIRST BVM car, the 18' hunkered-down Gon, is on its way soon!

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  07:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Heath,

Welcome to the build, It's great to see this motley crew get bigger, looks like when all theses gun cars get built we will butting some armies to shame. Great start on the gun and I'm willing to bet that the soldering looks worse in the picture than it does in real life.

Ron Newby
General Manager

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  7:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quick update on my gundola project. A 40mm Bofors was in my stocking Christmas morning. Sorry its not a BVM car, I has been trying to prefect my Tichy Flat Car bashing and getting close (I'll be updating that thread soon).

To the rear are some ammo lockers. The AA Gun is slightly offset to the rear of the car. There will be some more ammo lockers located to the front also. The frame has been cut down to 18 feet, with original trucks and coupler pockets with #5's.

Cheers, Heath.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  9:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Say Ron! This "Gun-dola" thread has great "ammo" for modelling ideas! Lots of fun to read through!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  10:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not making guns for my guys, no matter how they beg. The Chinese don't need them and the white guards, ...... well we only give them 6 shooters.

Ron I love this thread, it is super.

Jan

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  04:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heath - that's quite a "pea shooter"!!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  10:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heath,
Nice to see someone moving forward, neat gun.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  3:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, here's a update shot of the pea-shooter.

I still need to do some weathering on the car floor and ammo lockers. The Bofers is complete with a dry brush of gun metal and the underside of the car is painted flat black with a dry brush of gin metal also. The spare 40mm barrel can be seen at the front of the car.

The gun looks too heavily dry brushed in the photo, but looks fine in 'person'. I should have waited to add the final details before painting, but couldn't wait the long to see what it looked like in colour.

Cheers, Heath.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  6:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is work going on in this thread that is beyond awesome.

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Texas Topic Next Topic: My WW1 2021 So Many Choices” Challenge Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000