Railroad Line Forums - The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 223 ]  [ Total: 225 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Texas Topic Next Topic: My WW1 2021 So Many Choices” Challenge Thread
Page: of 10

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  3:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
.50. The Mounties will never find out.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  4:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Larry
You are right the mounties will never know, they won't find the animal either, and will still be trying to figure out how the 2 trees were cut down...put another belt on..keep the train moving we can feed them all this way...

Les

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  4:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should move down to .303. :-)

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  5:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Larry,
Yeah then it will look like any other hunter/poacher and you will blend right in...except for the moose with 20 holes in it.

Les

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  5:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,
I've never known anyone who complained about having TOO MUCH Firepower!!!

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dallas_m

Hmm ... just got back from the post office and can't remember why the heck I went there in the first place.

(That's the "official" story, so it must be true!)

Have fun!

Well I got an e-mail yesterday saying that my very own 'Gundola' kit is on its way (along with the other gondola kits I ordered) I says it's coming with full instructions but I'll probably throw them away anyway.

As for having "too much firepower", there is no such thing.

That reminds of an episode of Myth Busters about shooting fish in a barrel. While not really possible with a handgun, the 50 caliber machine gun they used at the end of the show not only obliterated the fish all that was left of the barrel was itty bitty pieces.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  11:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go with the .50. You can single shot or snipe with the gun (M2).

We I was traveling out west in my twenties, I got to see a cow moose and her calf up close (20 meters away), man they are big, and I grew up around horses. I hear they taste good too and I know of a local butcher who carries moose, elk, etc ... mmm.

Thanks for the Sunday dinner idea guys.

Cheers, Heath.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  2:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look what just showed up in the mail!

The boys at the TML are using geared power to pull the new kit into the car shop for assembly.

Edited by - BigLars on 10/19/2013 2:32:38 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

As per usual I unwrapped the kit and threw out the bubble wrap and instruction sheet.
Here is the resin ready for a comet bath.

Since the parts in the box look nothing like this limited rum kit. I have my thinking cap on as to how to cut the parts up to look like the car in the picture.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  4:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cool Larry,

I'm hoping I get mine next week so I'll have it before I leave for North bay. I'm thinking that we might have to make new sides or maybe kitbash two of the kits to get the right height. I'll have to see when I get my kits and see what you come up with.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  4:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boys at the shops went right to work... gutting the kit, filing the resin and adding new parts.

Now the kit is starting to look like the picture.

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  5:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..ready...aim,..sort of...fire!
instructions are a great target...

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

Cattle Creek Railroad
Section Hand

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  10:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh this is too cool!!!!! I'm going to be following this up for notes! May try to scratch one of my own!

Cody

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  11:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Wow, Larry did a great job of not following the instructions ... that doesn't look anything like the gons that I ... can't say! And, Ron should have an even easier time not following instructions ... I packed his with extra Chinese take-out menus!

quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues

Cool Larry,

I'm hoping I get mine next week so I'll have it before I leave for North bay. I'm thinking that we might have to make new sides or maybe kitbash two of the kits to get the right height. I'll have to see when I get my kits and see what you come up with.

You don't "have to" make new sides ... you can just follow prototype practice and "build up" to the desired height. You have multiple cars coming -- the sides are made from interior panels and exterior panels -- you can make additional boards by mating some of the interior panels together. Those are thinner than the exterior panels -- so you might need an .005" or .010" shim between them to match the thickness. And, if you go that route, some friendly bandelero might be willing to replace the extra side pieces robbed from another car. Grandt makes some small NBW's ... IIRC correctly, #1 and #93 will be close in size to what's on the car (if you bolt on stake extensions).

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  05:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.50 cal is cool~ If it don't knock them down,
they do some damn funny things standing up!
Very interesting and informative topic.....
More progress Ron.....por favor. ;-)

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Texas Topic Next Topic: My WW1 2021 So Many Choices” Challenge Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000