Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Page: of 34

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  10:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lookin good Rick! The track crews need to get out on the main and trim the shrubs. But the video looks great!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  10:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys...yeah, the MOW crew needs to fire up the ole chainsaw and do some pruning; it's one of those annoying things you notice AFTER you take the video. Another problem I frequently encounter is background noise, ie: crew members chatting in the background and inadvertently using an array of words filled with hard consonants.

Here's another attempt; let me know if it runs as jerky on your computers as it does mine:

http://vid229.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/RBickmore/3-28-15%20%208_zpsftmenhgq.mp4

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  11:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always like looking at this topic for big backdrop building ideas and big industry.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  01:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, great video. You would lose some of the jerkyness if you had not held the camera, but it wasn't that bad. I did notice that one of the boxcars had noticable bounce to it.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  10:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It ran fine for me Rick. These videos are great.

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  12:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice video Rick. You are ready to do weddings. If you look closely, you will even see a yellow Harsco switcher working the mill beyond the overpass.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  10:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the looks and comments, guys...

Bob: I did notice the HARSCO Herr Street switcher scooting around in the background...or I should say whenever that $%^&* tree wasn't getting caught by the passing cars...LOL. For some reason the video runs jerky on my computer, probably the video player used.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  09:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It ran ok on my computer, but not the quality it would be off You Tube. You should post them to You Tube!

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  10:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second vote to YouTube.

Great pics, looks like a fun night and always great to see freight moving.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

chrisbconaway
New Hire

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  8:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, I think the video came out real good. It is something that all of us should be doing more of. We have some great model railroads in our area. It would be nice to do something like this on more of them.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  10:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who have followed Rick’s thread over the years may recall a conversation of expanding the current HTRR into the mountains outside of Harrisburg, Pa. The funny part is that the original idea and subsequent conversation actually started right here on the forum on Rick’s original thread (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20007&whichpage=87 ) thanks to Rick’s friend and fellow forum member Jim Musser (RSCo) who said back on 12/11/2011…

quote:
Looks good Rick. But I'd use the word "final" carefully. It looked to me that you still have room for a few peninsulas and at least another level for part of your layout. Then after that you can just deck everything in and have little hatches to run trains from. Just kidding, partially.

Well, fellow forum members jumped on the band wagon! A simple comment made here on the forum turned into serious discussion. Within minutes, Bruce (SteamNut) pulled out his infamous tape measure and developed a plan. It took a few months of poking, prodding and some good old fashioned b-busting, but we finally convinced Rick it was meant to be!

Initial construction began on April 4, 2012 and can be seen on page 102 of that same thread. In that phase, we ripped out Commonwealth Coke and re-laid all the track in Commonwealth to make room for the branch line that would run behind the backdrop for Commonwealth, through the wall and into the back room, appearing over the staging yard. As it turned out, Rick liked the new arrangement for Commonwealth too! That phase was completed in a few nights but progress came to a halt as Rick wanted to think through his approach to the ‘loop’ at the end of the Commonwealth peninsula and what he was going to do on the branch line.

Rick takes his time with these decisions, but who are we to question his methods after seeing the results of his previous ‘futzing’! But it would appear Rick has finally developed a plan and there is serious progress to report!

To bring you all up to date, let’s take a tour of the area. The first picture is an overall view of the Commonwealth Coke plant peninsula. Here you can see the Linglestown Branch in the foreground as it turns away from Commonwealth to work it’s way around the end of the peninsula. The large building is a placeholder for a similar structure that will go in this area. I’m sure Rick will comment on his plans for this area.

Here is a picture of the end of the peninsula that was put into place 4 ˝ years ago! Rick has been pondering how he wants this to look and I think he finally has a good idea of what will be here. I hope that in the pages to come, Rick will document the transformation.

This is the area behind the Commonwealth backdrop. Here, the branchline will be traversing a heavily wooded area as it heads towards Linglestown, located in the adjacent room over the staging yard. Note the hole in the wall behind the steps.

We recently resumed our efforts by installing the support system for Linglestown, located over the staging yard. We used Rubbermaid shelf brackets which Bruce mounted to the benchwork of the staging yard. Here Bruce and Rick are installing the uprights for the bracket system.

Here are the brackets in place.

Next came the sub-roadbed. After much discussion, we decided to use 1”x12” boards instead of traditional open grid construction. The branch line will only be 12” deep so as not to cover the entire staging yard, a concern Rick had. Here, under Rick’s direction, Bruce is test fitting the boards before final installation.

By the end of the night, we had installed all the sub-roadbed and the branchline is now ready for homasoate and track!

Here’s the branchline as it appears coming out of the wall from the main room.

And an overall view of the future town of Linglestown

Looking the other direction

So with this everything now tied together and solid, we hope this will progress rapidly and Rick will document his scenic efforts as Linglestown comes to life!

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2015 :  08:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, a blank canvas! It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2015 :  09:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both videos were nice. Played well here.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2015 :  10:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice! It will be fun to see this new area get developed.

Chuck

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 04/25/2015 :  7:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn, the dispatcher will have their hands full with all the traffic going up the branch now. Lucknow may need a 3rd track? Glad to see things progressing up there. It is a great area to work now and this will make it even more interesting.

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000