Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: hot wire foam cutter Topic Next Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century
Page: of 35

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  9:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hokie_tech

Rick,
I just read through both volumes of your thread and didn't fall asleep once :).

I'm going to go through it again and pull out the wealth of information that is buried throughout both volumes and unashamedly use some of your methods. The SBS you have provided are so helpful. I even went to lowes and picked up some of the grouts.

Bill...thanks for enduring the eye strain; hopefully you'll like the grout as much as I do. Quite frankly, after trying styrene, plaster, joint compound, and Foamcore, I find the grout approach to be easier, quicker, and even a little more realistic looking. I'm currently eyeing up the North Harrisburg/ Division Street area for my next foray; being an urban streetscape, I have to plan for grout streets, styrene curbs and sidewalks, and elevating the existing structures to match the new profile...

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  11:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Rick, I'm just catching up on this thread. The layout is looking wonderful. I can't get over how much you've done with the scenes, scenery, detail and weathering. Super job!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  10:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

Wow, Rick, I'm just catching up on this thread. The layout is looking wonderful. I can't get over how much you've done with the scenes, scenery, detail and weathering. Super job!!

Thanks, Andy....Mark and I have been following your backdrop painting with intense interest, trying to figure out ways to raise the money to fly you and your brushes east for a week ...how are you with fall colors? LOL

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  8:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't let him fool you Andy. Rick is the artist of our group! The pictures don't lie.

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  6:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick and Mark,
You're right Mark, Rick has no fears as far as me out shining him in the scenery department. I have to admit that right now I'm a one trick pony and rolling hills with foreground and background trees is the only thing I have going for me. I need to start playing with some other types of scenes to see how I can do. One pony only goes so far!! Thanks for the kind words on my backdrop. By the way, Tony K. mentioned me a few times in his "Tips on Building a Layout" article in September MR
Even got a small pic of the layout on page 39.

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  01:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the mention Andy! Well deserved.

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  10:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark. I appreciate your kind words.

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Edited by - hunter48820 on 08/03/2014 10:25:07 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  10:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Rick, I know you have some pictures to share with everyone! (hint, hint, hint)

Mark

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  12:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

So Rick, I know you have some pictures to share with everyone! (hint, hint, hint)

Is the branch built?!?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  2:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, not yet. But, he continues to add details, trees, etc. He sends me some great pics, so I'm trying to prod him to share them here!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2014 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Actually, just a few...as Mark hinted, I've been fiddling around as the mood strikes, which lately hasn't been very often. Most of my attention has been focused on the Harrisburg Pipe and Tube Complex at State Street, which is geographically adjacent to the dispatcher's desk and thus easy to stare at and futz with. Here are a few shots:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/HP6_zps44d1df5a.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/HP3_zps1093f322.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/HP2_zps1e4e4169.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/HP1_zpsf7b8d1d8.jpg.html][/URL]

Most of the work has been on the scenery, adding trees, shrubs, bushes, grass...as well as continually moving buildings, pipes, and other paraphernalia around until it looks right (for now) AND building nine feet of chain link fence. Having recently purchased a few containers of Pan Pastels, I've been experimenting with different methods of applying them and so far love what they can do.

Not being a benchwork, electrical, or operational expert, this kind of idle farting around is what gives me the most satisfaction...and why I will probably never, ever, ever declare any scene on my layout "finished".

Oh, and to answer the question about the Linglestown branch: no Phil, I'm still designing it...I think it's up to version 18.0 now...LOL

Edited by - Harsco on 09/21/2014 11:23:22 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2014 :  11:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, nice modeling and photography.

As you think, so will you be.

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 09/21/2014 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job as usual Rick. Do you plan on leaving the GE there for switching?

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  01:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick that is some beautiful work !!! It may even get me to start again on my steel plant. What Evergreen siding did you use on the green mill building ?
------------ Ken

Edited by - keystonefarm on 09/22/2014 01:43:10 AM

vzjtothalo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  07:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Send vzjtothalo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You fooled Ken McCorry, Rick........tell him about that Evergreen Siding on the green mill building.......:D

John Loesch

Page: of 35 Previous Topic: hot wire foam cutter Topic Next Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000