Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 201 ]  [ Total: 205 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  09:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the TT.
If you go R/C Battery power, you leave the decoders in and just add a wireless receiver to them and a battery. The decoders still control the movements and sounds.
See:
http://www.cvpusa.com/airwire_system.php and
http://www.cvpusa.com/airwire_t5000.php
or
http://www.s-cab.com/price-list.html

Edited by - mabloodhound on 10/05/2013 09:32:21 AM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  03:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave,
I am going to stick with the DCC for now. It have been working well so far. The big test is going to be when I get this turntable installed...

Thanks Ty

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  03:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I then took a piece of PETG ( clear plastic) and fixed a dowel to one end and then drilled a hole at the correct distance for the spider bearing and then where the Support rail goes.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  04:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I drew a straight line down the center and then drew a perpendicular line. Then I took a compass and started dividing off equal lines around the circle. The ties are not the ones I am going to use. They are just there to checking spacing...

Ty

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  9:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing what happens. That is one beautiful turntable!

Arthur

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  08:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  09:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, I just ran across this Adventures in G by Malcolm Furlow in an old Model Railroader, October 1986 to be exact. And thought Id show it to you. I realize its too late for the planning stage but there might be something in there you can glean off.

The layout measures 10' x 12'.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/29/2013 09:48:48 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  10:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

Looking forward to seeing what happens. That is one beautiful turntable!

Me too.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  7:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
I have not stopped working. I have just been pretty busy with other things for the past few weeks. I have been slowly working on getting the backdrop in place. I did have about 4" of the wall showing all the way around the layout. I had to move all of my electrical outlet lower into the wall.
When I built the shop I had work benches all the way around the wall and electrical outlets about every 3-4 feet. I have moved the outlets and filled in the area with plywood and then blended the area the drywall tape and compound. I then gave the wall a primer coat and a base coat of blue.

before

After

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  7:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have not worked on the turntable installation due to I have to cut some custom ties for the rail ring and i have not had time to do that. I do intend on replacing all of the lighting that I have eventually. Its an eyesore right now...

Ty

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  7:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Thanks for the picture. I have seen that before while doing research. I wish there were pictures of that finished layout out there. I have not been able to find any..
I have had several revisions on my plan. I wish I could get a little more vertical with my plan but the restraints of my shop won't allow me to add much more room. I have to keep pretty close to the wall. I have allowed 4' wide bench work. I have to keep the rest open due to the small hobby business. I do thank you for all your input and help...

Thanks Ty

nziainz
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  8:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit nziainz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fockewulf37

Frank,
Thanks for the picture. I have seen that before while doing research. I wish there were pictures of that finished layout out there. I have not been able to find any..
I have had several revisions on my plan. I wish I could get a little more vertical with my plan but the restraints of my shop won't allow me to add much more room. I have to keep pretty close to the wall. I have allowed 4' wide bench work. I have to keep the rest open due to the small hobby business. I do thank you for all your input and help...

Thanks Ty

ive posted some pictures from that issue

hunteman
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  9:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fockewulf37

I have not worked on the turntable installation due to I have to cut some custom ties for the rail ring and i have not had time to do that. I do intend on replacing all of the lighting that I have eventually. Its an eyesore right now...

Ty

Have you decided what lighting you will use? Everything I can find seems to be for the smaller gauges. It isn't clear, to me, if the ligntinhs approaches for HO, etc., will work for large scale RRs.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  11:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I do plan on using the lighting that I have on one end of the layout already. I have several rows of lights with valances in front of each. This gives me a well lit area. I have not had any harsh shadows with this set up so far.. I do need to make my valances on the front a little thicker or maybe one piece of black on the back side..

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  12:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000