Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 230 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: wentzeljr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  10:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is WOW, Ty!

The last several pages of this thread are a fantastic SBS on layout construction.
(granted a large scale layout!)

Nice photos and clear explanations!

Bravo!

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  06:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl,

Well, I was getting ready to start on the basic ground work . I have been using finely sifted sawdust and white glue, but it takes so long to dry. Sculptamold is so expensive it would be cost prohibitive.
So I was brain storming the other day and came up with this... Works great...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqq5k-h9Iwk

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  9:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys,
I have really got a lot done this week. As I prepare to do some work on the ground cover. It hit me once I did that I would not be able to do anything over the top of the layout.
I needed to do another valance over the top of the layout. It will contain the light and and separate it from the room.
When we built the house we made sure the basement had 9' ceilings. This allowed me over the years to build shelves over The benches and later bench-work. I don't want to get rid of the shelving. So I had to build the valance around what already existed.
I used 2x3's and 1x2's to make a frame to hold the valance. I used 1/4 luan to face the framework.

Before any work:

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 12/17/2015 9:35:26 PM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  9:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is the frame work.

I used pieces of 2x3 mounted directly to bottom of shelves or floor joists for hard points to attach the curved luan.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  10:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I then went and bought more of the blue cloth and made a valance that attaches to the framework. I have not totally decided if i like the length of it or not. I am trying to decide. My goal is to keep the focus on the layout and not be blinded by the lights I am 6'2" tall and the height is about right. After I got the framework and all the valances in place. All but 2', I did not measure right.I put light fixtures in place. I am using 10 watt LED lights which is the equivalent of a 65 watt Spot light.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Picture inside the layout area. you can see all the lights..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  10:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can also see the blue lights that I have added. And if you look around the inside of the frame work the are 2 strands of blue Christmas lights.

This gives me a night time look. Once I have all the buildings lighted and street lights it should look pretty good...Hopefully

The light looks better in person. Pictures darken it alot...

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  10:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys hope everyone had a great Christmas,

I have been doing more work. I have taken the home made sculptmold and applied it around the track between the 2 bridges. It works really well. I also applied it over the whole hill area and blended it in. I did try putting a little acrylic paint into the sculptamold and it works pretty well. It may slow the setting time a little but that is Ok.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  11:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, you need to try sawdust AKA wood flour instead of sculptamold. We get our wood flour from a local wood working shop. Itís the dust collected from their massive sanding machine. The bags we get are 55 gallon in size and full. Thatís enough wood flour to build 100 layouts. Mix that with white glue and water to the consistency of wet cement and go for it.

When it dries itís as hard as concrete and when you want to change it just get it wet and scrape it away.

Frank

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  11:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I then went back and added Zip texturing and some real dirt. I did add ballast to the track but I forgot to take pic's. I'll take some soon. I used sifted oil dry for the ballast. I used white glue with acrylic paint to color the ballast.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  11:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, that is what I used all over the modular layout. But the dry time from me got to be too long. I like the sculptamold because of th set time. I have about 50 lbs of sawdust in the bags at the house..
Thanks Ty

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2015 :  10:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, you can speed up the dry time if you have a fan blowing across the area.

The project is looking great, can't wait to see the finished project.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/27/2015 10:53:29 AM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  08:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I understand what you saying about a fan. But as thick as I am putting on some of this it takes days to dry..Plus My dehumidifier is struggling to keep up with all the damp weather. It ha run not stop for about 2 weeks..
Ty

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  08:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If I am going to be getting ground cover down I have to do a little more structure planning. I have a loading dock planned for one of the sidings. So I built a foam board base and then planked it.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  8:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000