Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 205 ]  [ Total: 207 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  3:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am glad That I planned ahead and made the layout with a removable end so the closet would be accessible in case of something having to be replaced. Now I need to blend the layout into a new opening for the closet. I started by removing the doors. I then cut a Piece of foam that would cover the hole in the wall.The foam is held in place the by an overhang in back and Slides in the front. It is easily removed.

This piece will be painted to blend in the back ground..

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  4:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ut-oh here we go with the house remodels around the layout. I hope you got permission.

Frank

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  01:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice solution for hiding the utility closet.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  8:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am really blessed. My wife rarely comes down to the basement. She just thinks I go down and play with my toys.

I have been slowly working on the cover to the closet. I am making the start of a mountain/hill with a tunnel portal in it. Besides the wall the the Mountain/hill comes off in two sections. So far they are really light weight.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2014 :  10:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture of the tunnel portal I just finished...

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2014 :  11:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's the yellow stuff? Foam rubber?

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/09/2014 :  5:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes it is it what I call couch foam. I am make what they call Soft Rocks. I still have a lot to do to them...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2014 :  7:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty don't let Mario hear you say Soft Rocks, they're Frocks, (Foam rocks).

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/09/2014 7:54:24 PM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  10:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes you are correct they are Frocks. I should have remember that.

Here is my retaining wall.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2014 :  07:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have had a really busy week. I have slowly been working on getting this tunnel/mountain framed in. I have added the rest of the pink foam.

And then roughed it in.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  02:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here I have added the Tile Grout to the foam.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  02:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have painted up the wall and added zip txturing to the whole rock area. I still need to add all of the ground cover and foliage.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  09:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, your scenery painting looks pretty good, but if you made the background lighter and lighter as the scene recedes it would have more depth. Having the background the same intensity as the foreground makes the scene appear flat.

The next time you’re headed up 77 or 85 looking down into the valleys notice how the colors change from bright green to a grayed green then almost shades of gray. (atmospheric perspective)

Cold Mountain, NC

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/18/2014 09:54:22 AM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  11:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank,
I totally agree with you. I travel the mountains a lot every year. I can see all this in my minds eye, but when it comes to painting I have a very poor knowledge of colors. Blending and mixing have been a problem for me. The tutorial I based my backdrop on was very straight forward and easy to do.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  08:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, have you tried a graduated wash over the background? start mild and get more gray as you go back in depth

Frank

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000