Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house
Page: of 34

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  11:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip on those inks.
Never seen those other colors before.

As you think, so will you be.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  1:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellas,

Well, this post will go off in a lot of different directions with stuff I've been working on the last few weeks. I didn't think any of it was worth its own thread so I hope it's OK to post it all here.

I've built 5 different bridges for this project and I think I finally have the "bridge monkey" off my back...

Unfortunately, the Campbell sugar pine ties were so old when I tried to spike them on the stringers to hold the rail they all split and cracked. The thing I figured was that I'd have to drill out all the holes for the spikes - 76 ties and 4 holes in each one plus 32 holes in the 8 upper and lower cross members for the truss rods...so, 336 holes (.018) total. I set up my drill press with a simple fixture using some Jo blocks that my father had used since the 1930's. It wasn't too bad - took about an hour to do them all.

Here's the setup...

The drilling begins...

I was kind of bug-eyed after I finished the job...

The finished bridge!!

Next, I moved onto planning my next project. It's from an October, 1955, article by Lloyd Giebner in RMC. I do believe that this example was done by George Sellios...I really like it.

A couple of the buildings are board-and batten so I've been experimenting with some new coloring and weathering...

These samples are done using chalks, inks, alcohol, wood burning and oil washes...this is what I will use for the build, I think.

Here's another one I liked using Brett Gallant's chalk and alcohol method...

I also found a pack of Ko-Rec-Copy that was used for fixing typing mistakes before the days of computers and Photoshop so it's pretty old - this pack is dated 1971. I took a piece out of the wrapper and some of the white chalk (??) came off on my fingers and kind of looked like peeling paint. So, I got a piece of siding and burnished the stuff onto the wood with a dull pencil...and it worked! I think it's the nicest peeled paint I've been able to find and it was so simple. Here's what it looks like...

I got this "ergonomic" hobby knife made by Fiskars. They are supposed to help hobbyists with arthritis or bad fingers. It was kind of weird to get use to them but it does seem to help with my bad fingers and hands. We'll see as I use them to build more stuff.

But, still keep in mind that it's a very sharp tool and must be used with the same care and caution as any other cutting tool...

These clamps are great - and inexpensive! 40 of them in 2 different sizes for $9 bucks! They do have a locating pin on each of the jaws so I sliced them off so they don't put any dents in the wood. They were a big help in my bridge building adventure. I think, in the real world, they're used to support plants and things.

Some folks have asked to see how my work areas have moved on since the flood...after over 3 years I'm almost back to normal. I have both the work room and the photo area cleaned up and working. Here's what the areas look like now...

Over the last few years, moving and finding stuff in the basement has been interesting...I found this 1985 Walther's catalog with a photo in it of my "then layout"...

Also, in the catalog was this short note from George Sellios...

Well, that's all that I've been doing the last few weeks...thanks.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 03/21/2018 2:58:18 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  1:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great update Karl. Bridge is awesome.

I like the coloring samples on the wood good reference stuff.

Karl what's the name of the clamps? And where did you get them? Thanks.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 03/21/2018 3:06:26 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  2:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, there is so much great stuff going on in this last post of yours, I don't know where to start.
Love the humor.
Love the bridge.
Love the weathering samples.

I remember your basement.
Wasn't there a John Wayne cut out?

Thanks for sharing with us.

As you think, so will you be.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  3:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Like Rick said: lots of good stuff to admire here. Nice bridge and old time village.
Like the weathering techniques, especially the Ko-Re-Copy peeling paint. Did you coat that one afterward with anything to help it adhere to the wood?

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  4:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what a workroom and bechwork nice

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  4:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I can say is "I love it"!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  08:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see this update Karl, great projects!

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  08:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!
This update is packed full of great ideas along with your wonderful sense of humor. Please keep the techniques coming.
Neat monkey!
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  09:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoy seeing old scratchbuilding articles and plans used for new models. It will be interesting to watch you do this; I think you picked a winner.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  10:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Great update Karl. Bridge is awesome.

I like the coloring samples on the wood good reference stuff.

Karl what's the name of the clamps? And where did you get them? Thanks.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks...

The clamps are Sago Plant Clips - 40/pcs. for $8.99 from Amazon.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  10:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Karl, there is so much great stuff going on in this last post of yours, I don't know where to start.
Love the humor.
Love the bridge.
Love the weathering samples.

I remember your basement.
Wasn't there a John Wayne cut out?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for taking a look..

Yep, I still have "The Duke" up in my music room so he survived the flood in the basement and is doing just fine!

Karl

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  10:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Karl, Like Rick said: lots of good stuff to admire here. Nice bridge and old time village.
Like the weathering techniques, especially the Ko-Re-Copy peeling paint. Did you coat that one afterward with anything to help it adhere to the wood?

Hi Bill,

I just gave it a quick shot of Rust Oleum Clear Dead Flat after I rubbed it onto the wood.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  2:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Howdy folks,

A buddy came by and saw the bridge I built and he decided he wanted one just like it and asked if I'd build him one in his scale. Well, after much careful thought I said I would build it for him and his Z-scale layout.

In HO scale the bridge is 7-1/2" long but in Z scale it's just under 3" long. So, with the weeping and gnashing of teeth over, here it is. What a job it was...

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  5:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
great job on Z bridge
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000