Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 34

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  4:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello folks,

Been some time but I finally did start a new model.

I've always admired the work of Earl Smallshaw. He has a gift for making creative and interesting models and scenes that I really enjoy. His Tenement Row was featured in the February, 1989, Model Railroader and I finally decided to build my version of it.

Since Earl's model was going against a wall he didn't have to model the street side or even put all the windows in the sides that couldn't be seen. His finished scene is just perfect and it's a favorite of mine. I'm going to build the buildings complete and have the storefronts below the living area all different. Northeastern makes a kit for the three buildings but I prefer to scratch build the models and make them all a bit unique.

Here's the very not complete first building. With my bad hands it took some time to cut out the 33 window and door openings. I used the Monster Models aged brick for above the storefront and I love the stuff. I cut the openings in the brick using my Unimat jigsaw but it was a little too aggressive to use on the 1/16th basswood (Monster brick is 1/8th thick). Also, I cut real glass (microscope cover slips) for the 30 windows and storefront...no windows in the 3 backdoors.

I plan on combining this model with my last street scene (Gruhn Guitars).

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl....as usual your modeling is superb!

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with your hands..? Whatever it is, I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem. And I have to say, your problem with your hands does not show up in your modeling at all.

The tenement row will go great with your Gruhn Guitars street scene.

Edited by - jknapp on 03/29/2013 4:59:25 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  5:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking structure, Karl! Since the width of the structure is whatever you want it to be, what did you do to get the bricks on the side edges?

Chuck

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  5:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I'm very happy to see you back at the bench.
Hope you're having fun with this build and I'll be on the look out for your next update.

As you think, so will you be.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  5:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am pulling up my chair!

Karl O. is back in the house!

Looks great as always.

Thanks Karl...

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  6:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl that is just a beautiful looking building.
Your work is just so outstanding.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Karls problem is arthritis.
I have it in four of fingers. Besides the pain at time. Trying to work with them sometimes is just not in the cards.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  6:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Stunning work as always Karl!

I too would love to know how the corners were mitred. I've had my eyes on this brickwork for a while - it sure looks good! I've also been very inspired by the work of Earl Smallshaw. He is a master of fitting a great deal into a very small space in a very natural way - something I try hard to emulate.

Cheers, Mark.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  8:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jknapp

Hi Karl....as usual your modeling is superb!

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with your hands..? Whatever it is, I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem. And I have to say, your problem with your hands does not show up in your modeling at all.

The tenement row will go great with your Gruhn Guitars street scene.

Hi John,

Thanks...I do appreciate any interest in what I'm trying to build.

I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and my fingers are pointing in all the wrong directions...they're starting to look like basswood that's been soaked in too much A/I.

John, I'm not being a smart-ass, but it's very hard to do things. What really pisses me off is that I can't even form a chord on my banjo or guitar...something that I've done for over 50 years.

The time stamp on this photo was the last time I was able to play with my boys...

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  8:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Nice looking structure, Karl! Since the width of the structure is whatever you want it to be, what did you do to get the bricks on the side edges?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Monster Models makes the 1/8" brick corner pieces that match up to their walls. ...Jimmy Simmons is doing some great stuff with the basswood brick walls and details. Check it out, you won't be sorry. In my opinion, his brick is the thing I was looking for...and it's much cleaner than cutting holes in plaster or hydrocal.

Just my opinion,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  8:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sorry to hear about the arthritis! The structure is shaping up BEAUTIFULLY!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  9:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

Your work looks great. Sorry to hear about your arthritis. Your discription of your hands reminded me of Great Aunt Mina from Traverse City, Michigan. She was told by her doctors that she would have to give up cracheting when she was in her 60's, because of her arthritis. I have a beautiful table cloth that she cracheted when she was 98. The arthritis slowed her down but it didn't keep her from doing what she loved. I sure hope you persevere and keep building these inspirational structures. Thanks for sharing your great work.

Edited by - jsiekirk on 03/29/2013 9:04:12 PM

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  9:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Karl, I'm very happy to see you back at the bench.
Hope you're having fun with this build and I'll be on the look out for your next update.

Hi Rick,

Always a pleasure to hear from you...

I'm not so sure how much fun these things are to build...I like shooting the photos much more than building these beasts.

I just got this to play with for some time...D600 with a 24-70/2.8...nice!!! You gotta' shoot it in black and white...you understand. Oh, the instruction book is 340 pages...in English.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

MedCityBob
Section Hand

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  9:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl: Excellent !! Sorry to hear about the Arthritis..... My Aunt had that; and it is very painful, and
unfortunately gets to be debilitating, as You probably well know. I totally agree with Your comments
about Earl Smallshaw...and especially as it relates to the tenanment scene. I still have that original article.
Anyway, I am looking forward to Your next installment. Best Wishes, MedCityBob

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  01:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
As always...a great build so far.
Sorry to hear of your trouble with the hands.
I too, have been having some trouble, sometimes in grasping small objects or holding a piece in my left hand, tightly, my fingers lock-up. Then, I have to shake my hand and relax a few minutes, then it's ok.
What are you cutting the glass with for your windows/ I have tried a small glass cutter, and it will not scribe a scratch in the glass at all. Do I use a light oil?, because I didn't.
I also like the color of your building against the brick facade.
I will be following along.
Rich

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  02:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl.

Looking good buddy. Glad to see you back at it again. As always looking forward to the next installment.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  09:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,I am so sorry to read about the problems you are experiencing with rheumatoid arthritis.
Oh! The joys of getting older.
Even with these difficulties you can still build a fantastic looking model!
This will be great to see you back at the bench again!

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000