Railroad Line Forums - Wrecker's Reef shelf layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 202 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Wrecker's Reef shelf layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Rue de la Cloche Bellot Topic Next Topic: interesting modular HOn30 logging mini ayout
Page: of 100

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  5:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Louis, it's a whole new learning experience, but enjoyable. I have an FSM Dexter's Dead End to put together and man does it look small.

Carl, Frocks are too easy and light. The only thing is you cant replicate certain rock formations.

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  5:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
I made a simple jig to glue up the wharf bents. The holes are so the glue from the cross braces doesnít attach itself to the jig. Hereís the wharf bents just sitting there not glued in place till later. Up to the high tide level on pilings here in Florida oysters grow very thick due to the warm water.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/15/2013 5:28:31 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  8:02:13 PM  Show Profile
Frank what did you use for the barnacles or are they oysters???

If there Oysters for my favorite Oysters Rockafella I'll be right down

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  8:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage
Nice work - I'm enjoying following along!

Don

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  9:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage
Darn that looks good Frank ! Btw the sawdust didn't work out the way you like it ?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  08:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Jerry, itís a combination of barnacles and oysters, but mostly oysters. I donít recommend eating them since theyíre in the tidal zone and are contaminated with all kinds of gas, oil, sewage etc.
Don, thanks for joining in.
Martin, yes the saw dust did exactly what I wanted, a smooth slope up to the rocks. Now I have to go to the beach and get some white sand and sift it through a very fine mesh. The barnacles/oysters are simply made og fine ballast. I cheated.

Frank

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Looking good Frank!

Greg Shinnie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  3:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Thanks Greg.

Yesterday I went to Anclotte Inlet to take some pictures and gather a couple buckets of sand. But my timing was way off, I forgot it was Saturday so the beach area (where the nice white sand is) was packed and it was at peak high tide. So my picture of oysters on the pilings is under water. But you can see how thick they grow. Jerry you'll have to wait for your Oysters Rockafella.

I managed to build the second set of trestle bents and fit them into place. Iím going to make some wood ties and hand spike the rail in place so I can have the longer bridge ties.

Oh I forgot this waterway is closed to boat traffic.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/17/2013 4:03:23 PM

Tim Hebert
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  4:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Frank, fantastic work! I'm thoroughly impressed and enjoy this thread. I may be modeling West Texas, but that doesn't mean I can't get a slightly salty breeze out my way. Thanks so much for the photos!

Tim

Edited by - Tim Hebert on 03/17/2013 4:10:59 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  4:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Looking good Frank!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  6:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Tim, no problem and thanks Mike.

Frank

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  03:48:09 AM  Show Profile
Looking good Frank

terry hansley
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  1:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Frank

Looks great-----I missed you Saturday at Dave's,you must have been at the beach.

Terry H

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  3:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Thanks Wes, Terry I was out sick then I went to the beach, but let's keep that between us. I really was sick.

I must admit when I first started this project I was really intimidated by HO scale. Working in Fn3 (1:20.3) since 1991 has had its benefits. For instance who cares if itís off by a 1/16Ē? Well Iím getting more confident all the time and am actually enjoying this scale. Iíve finished the low trestle now and will start back again on the wharf.

And a case of reality set in. what fits on paper doesnít always fit in real life. Iíve had to eliminate on the 4 bridge crossings of the waterway. Three is tight and 4 would have been just plain dumb. Also Iím going to have to scrap the phosphate dock because it would kill the viewing angle of the waterway as it is now. So that spur will end before the inlet in some kind of industrial area.

Between my Proxxon table saw and my super modified Horbour Freight chop saw all this trestle stuff would have been a b****.

STOP the train we have a derailment.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/18/2013 3:56:37 PM

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  6:14:43 PM  Show Profile
I am watching this thread

PS. It's "FRocks" not Frocks.

One is Foam Rocks...the other is what women wear

" Stay Motivated in Life "
http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_mario_rapinett.html

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Rue de la Cloche Bellot Topic Next Topic: interesting modular HOn30 logging mini ayout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000