Railroad Line Forums - Wrecker's Reef shelf layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 215 ]  [ Total: 219 ]  [ Newest Member: Alexander Castro ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Wrecker's Reef shelf layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Rue de la Cloche Bellot Topic Next Topic: interesting modular HOn30 logging mini ayout
Page: of 100

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  12:58:41 PM  Show Profile
Frank I use the elctro-frog switches (I have DC) as even 0-4-0's and Davenports run smoothly and slowly thru them without stalling. I guess even a 0-2-0 wouldn't stall on em' . But you are saying they would cause a problem with DCC? Why is that?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  7:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Thanks Jerry, Bob and Terry.

Mike, Iím taking this bit of info from Alan Gartnerís ďWiring for DCCĒ, I have no experience with the subject only what I read in Alan's web site. You obviously have more experience than I do since I have zero. I'll take your word for it. Which makes me feel better since I have several electro-frog switches that I thought I'd have to modify.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm

He states:

SUGGESTION #2-12b: Peco "Electrofrog" Turnout Is DCC Friendly In Just a Few Snips.

The problem with the frog shorting is completely eliminated with no serious cutting effort on the part of the modeler required. Not only does not modeler not need to saw on the turnout, potentially risking damage, but also the jumpers around the frog do not need to be cut.

The only jumpers that need to be cut are those shown. Be careful not to cut those across the frog!

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/04/2013 7:29:21 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  9:20:01 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest posting a question about this in the DCC forum and see what they say. A second opinion can't hurt. My own layout is DC so I really don't know the answer to this myself.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  7:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Over the last couple of days I was able to install what little Frocks and sawdust ground filler that was needed. For those unfamiliar with Frocks theyíre simply foam-socks. All you do is tear some cushion foam into rock like forms then paint on sanded tile grout mixed with a little water and some color. Use a fairly stiff brush that youíre not fond of since you may ruin the brush in the process.

Not much color is needed to simulate coral rock since itís primarily white to off-white in color since itís the skeletal remains of millions of years old dead corals. Along the coast and especially in the Florida Keys the land is formed of a coral rock base covered with sand. To finish the rock forms wonít require much effort from here.

I also made the ground base from sawdust, water and good old Elmerís glue. All you have to do is pour some sawdust into a container add equal amounts of water and glue and mix to a nice thick paste. Apply the paste and texture or smooth it to the desired finish and let dry for a couple of days. When working the paste spray it with water to keep the surface wet. I was trying to replicate how sand would look washed up along the rocky coast. Some areas will be all sandy beach land. The final touches here will be to go down to the seashore and sift sand. Almost sounds like something from my youth.

I was able to lay most of the track using Loctite Power Grab adhesive. I wanted to use something water proof since I would be putting the ballast down with white glue and water. It sure doesnít take long for that stuff to take hold.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/13/2013 7:49:26 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  7:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  7:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
The sawdust we have access to is more like wood flour than wood chips. Itís the product of a commercial sanding machine from a custom molding company in our industrial park. We have one bag from them that should last several life times. Itís a plastic bag about the size of a 55 gallon drum.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/13/2013 7:45:30 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  7:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage

Frank

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  8:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage
Like the subject / theme...great progress Frank..
Sawdust...almost good for anything..

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  8:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Nice how to Frank.

That really does give a nice imprssion of Jersey sand.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  9:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage
Looking forward to seeing this project develop. I sure enjoyed my Sun Coast Center visit in February, I assume you are one of the members who put together that fine exhibit. Will this project find its way there in the future? Scott

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  09:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Thanks Martin, love your RR projects. Jerry the sawdust looks nice while it's wet but turns kind of ugly when it's dry. Scott, nice to hear you enjoyed the visit to the Center. Richard and I started the SCRR but Dave put it over the top. The layout might go over for a special occasion but it's destined for the shelf over my work bench. I'd better get back to the 1/6 boxcar project for a while.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/14/2013 09:30:38 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  2:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Great progess Frank! One question, if you decide to change your track arrangement how to you get the track back up after using the power grab stuff?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  11:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Mike, I'm able to slide a knife blade under the track and cut it loose. I spent a lot of time doing the track plan on paper before doing the construction. I also spent quite a bit of time pinning the track in place to make sure I was happy with the configuration. Iím hoping there wonít be any changes.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/15/2013 11:49:18 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  2:35:34 PM  Show Profile
I like the Frocks your putting down Frank, and the method of its use. Looks to be a quick and easy process.
A bit of a way from the Fn3 isn't it?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 03/15/2013 2:37:51 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  4:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Frank,

Thanks for the step by step! I think plasters' days are numbered.

Your skill set is amazing- and I'll be following this thread closely!

I see you wear gloves too!

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Rue de la Cloche Bellot Topic Next Topic: interesting modular HOn30 logging mini ayout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000