Railroad Line Forums - Scenery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Scenery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.
Page: of 30

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  09:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
I haven't hardly set foot in the train room in a couple of months. I have been trying to finish up my degree, and I have been doing a lot of substitute teaching, which eats up my daytime hours. It seems like my kids have had something going almost every night, and in addition to all that, I have been working on a project with a friend (details to come at a later date...).
Next week, I am having a new driveway put in (a double wide), and I have been preparing the yard for that. My drive is lined with flowerbeds, and all those flowers and plants have to be moved prior to the drive going in.
Hopefully - hopefully - in the next couple of weeks I will get back down there. The project I have been working on is definetly train related, and is getting my enthusiasm level back up.
In the meantime, I'll watch your progress and just envy the work your doing! =)

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  09:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if you could mix some of the crumblies into your ground goop for added texture?

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  09:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea, I will give it a try. If others need some of this stuff I would be happy to send them some as I have a boat load of it.it would sure make a lot of gooooooop

I have been in a slump recently and in some ways I still am. I just can't get going on Gritty's to finish it up. I am never like this, but yet I am. I decided to get going again I would tackle this project and it seems to be working for now.
I also think warm weather, grass mowing and picnics etc have something to do with all of this to.

Sounds like you are one busy beaver (or wolverine) hopefully all those projects will get completed and youcan get back to work on your layout. I really enjoyed watching the liftout section you created last time.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  9:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Time for an update on some progress, first I built the tunnels portals and am trying to match the prototype. I feel like I am pretty close other than the thickness of the portal itself. I make them thicker, becasue I like the looks of a more massive portal.

First picture shows the tunnel built up with a prodcut called wood patch installed to give it that concrete look.

The wood patch has dried and I am cutting in the form lines that are present in the prototype, I use a ruler and a dental pick and do not cut very deep at all.

I then take the dental pick and make little carved out holes where the face has chipped over time.

This is what it looks like prior to painting, the nice thing is that you can sand this down if you wish to make the lines even more subtle.

Here it is painted with primer and I will leave it dry for 24 hours before painting. This gives me an idea if I need more chips or less form lines. Boy the primer really makes it look dark. Oh well, you will have to wait till I get it painted and weathered.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  10:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I spent some time working on the mountain and made some really good progress. Sometimes it is hard to see, but you will have to trust me that there is more work completed than what shows. Getting everything braced properly and keeping those braces away from the trains can sometimes be a challenge.

Picture shows the fascia installed and I cut the profile to match the approx terrain. I will go back and recut the fascias as I decide exactly what the height needs to be. At least this gives me a reference to go by.

Shows that river rough cut in, but it does let you see where I am going with it.

Next photo shows that I have been carving away and now that I brought the mountain back to the basement I can now begin to view it from different angles and start marking where I need to carve more and where the main rock castings are going to go.

This shows how I built up the styrofoam from the back side of the mountain, You will also note that I have added more layers to capture that towering feeling over the trains. You can see where the exit portals will be approx and the problem of how to scenic this whole area. I have a plan, that hopefully will make it look like part of the mountain and give a very realistic look. Stay tuned

[

The last photo lets you see what it looks like when you are headed EB (away from the mountain.)
I have installed some styrofoam there as well. Adding the fascia really helps me visualize the scene while I am building it.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  1:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Since nobody is that interested in commenting on the scenic work. I guess I will

WOW...Tim that is one impressing piece of styro you have there. Just a few questions if you have time.

1. Why the different colors of styrofoam?

2. Why are you going to all the work to make this huge glob of styrofoam a lift out section?

3. Is this really worth it, when you could just have a backdrop painted?

4. I think the portals are too thick too.

5. I agree with you that the fascia makes it look better but did you run out of masonite? Looks like the mountain is sticking up above it where the exit portals are, gosh that looks odd.

Please respond if you have time Tim. I will anxious to hear your comments.

BTW..I am certain there are others out there, but for now, I will carry on this conversation....BIG GRIN!

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  2:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trussman

Since nobody is that interested in commenting on the scenic work. I guess I will

WOW...Tim that is one impressing piece of styro you have there. Just a few questions if you have time.

2. Why are you going to all the work to make this huge glob of styrofoam a lift out section?

5. I agree with you that the fascia makes it look better but did you run out of masonite? Looks like the mountain is sticking up above it where the exit portals are, gosh that looks odd.

BTW..I am certain there are others out there, but for now, I will carry on this conversation....BIG GRIN!

It took me a minute to figure out the guy being nasty was the guy that had posted the stuff in the first place. ... if that makes sense.

Actually I like the portals. I like the way you scribed the lines using the putty - it has given me an idea for something I want to try.

If you want to answer your own questions, now that you asked them, I'd be interested to know the answers.

In the mean time stop talking to yourself ... it's freaky.

Joe <><

Narrow Rick
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  3:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found this thread. Joe are right. I had to look back at the post to see what you were saying about the "conversation."

Tim I think the mountains are going to look great. To answer one of your questions: "why not a painted backdrop?" Because it would not be 3D. These can represent a massive line of rock that will realy feel like a wall. Neat idea!

I haven't had a chance to yet read the entire thread. Did you use some kind of verticle supports for the foam or is it just glued one on top of the other?

Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!

Rick
"Always remember to never use absolutes."

lac13705
Section Hand

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  4:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

It looks like you are well on your way to modelling that spectacular prototype scene. Along with many others I'll also be following your progress with great interest. BTW I like your tunnel portals as well and I suspect that the apparent nay sayer was just pulling all our chains . . . . .

I'm glad the details about goop got posted earlier - I was experimenting with various scenery methods and getting poor results when the article about "goop" came out in Model Railroader a few months back. It's probably been around awile but it was new to me so I thought I would give it a try. It actually was relatively easy to make and use and I loved the result - many kudos to whoever actually came up with the stuff.

Lee

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  6:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking tunnel portals, Tim! I wonder if that wood patch stuff could be used to stimulate stucco? Hmmm......

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  7:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  7:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OOOPSSS I sent the message before I answered my own questions....sheeesh its an age thing.

1. The reason for different color foam is that is all I had, but I will say this about sytrofoam. I never knew that the density woudl really affect the drying time of the glue. The layers that attached to the blue took almost 3 days to dry and the pink stuff took 24 hours. Plus the pink is the cheapest.

2. Simple really, my back is not near as good as it once was and leaning over will really cause problems. This allows me to do the rock work in the shop. Plus it keeps the mess out of the train room.

3. Your right, the 3 dimensional effect it gives is almost impossible to achieve in a painting. Besides I am a glutten for punishment.

4. Well the portals are to thick from a prototype point of view but rule 1 comes in to play so I will go with the group. I like them too.

5. Odd looking you say, well just wait, i am going to wrap rock molds around that baby and make a spire of rock. If it turns out well then WOW..if not I can always add more fascia.

I was just poking fun at the forum as the scenery section gets a lot of reads but not very many post. It is great to see new people commenting. I really appreciate that, and its nice to know that people enjoy watching.
If you do have comments though please spit them out as I enjoy hearing the good but also the bad. It doesn't bother me at all as long as its constructive which on this forum is required. I think I missed a question but I have to go and will be back later. I will answer it then.

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  9:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

I'm checking out what you are doing, but since I have no current layout, I don't have much of interest to contribute, other than to say, Keep on Trucking, it's fascinating to watch.

Stevie O'

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trussman

OK Tim,
Remember I am on dial-up and it took all of 2 days just to get all the pictures downloaded.

Only Kidding. Big, big grin.
Actually I am watching this with great interest since I have a similar situation where I will need a tunnel to go through the wall to my closet area which will represent an ocean port.
I want the tunnel to pass through another large mountain.

I also like the tutorial on the tunnel entrances since the ones in Alaska are mostly concrete and I will be making them myself.

Now for the questions, I mean the answers.

1) Figured that one out myself.
Contrary to popular belief my elevator does go to the top floor.
I have only used pink foam and based on your observations will stay with that color.

2) I will also be doing mine as a lift out since it will be large and in a corner and much easier to work on something this large at the bench.

3) My answer is the same as I wanted to have some depth when I did my Alaskan mountain.

4) I like your answer.

5) No answer here as I have not installed a fascia as yet and it will not be in the way when I do.

So I hope that you are now happy with the questions and answers but keep posting your progress since I am printing this out for future reference.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, good question on the stacking of foam. I did indeed stack up the foam and let each hangover about 1.5". My styrofoam layers are 2" thick and I am trying to obtain about a 60 degree angle of slope.
This works great if you only have 2-4 layers but once you get past that you will need to figure out how to hold the backside or it wants to tip backwards. Normally this is not a problem as you have a wall to lean against, but in my case I have the helix right behind it and it can get a bit tricky to keep the supports out of the way of the track, plus positioned so that you can still take out the lift out section.

Glad you are enjoying the thread.

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000