Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog
Page: of 23

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  07:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went through all 22 pages of posts on this subject and have to say there are some very good artists who have shown their work here. Some have gone to the trouble of getting their photos so they show up in their posts and many have stopped at simply having a link to the photos, sort of 6 to 1 and half a dozen to the other.

However, looking at the high quality jobs many have done on their back-drops, makes me feel like a hacker! Great work you guys!

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  5:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote

(This is a photo from original construction)

I'm deconstructing my layout and moving it to our new house. One thing I learned in the process is that spray adhesive loses its hold over time. The photos I attached using spray were starting to come away from the wall and with very little effort peeled right off. I'm guessing that within a year or less they would have started to sag or fall off. The photos I attached with white glue were still bonded to the wallboard like wallpaper. So much so that they are not coming off even after being soaked with water.

So, BEST PRACTICE going forward is to use slightly thinned white glue brushed onto the photo and burnished onto the wall with wallpaper roller or similar hard roller.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2016 :  01:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that tip Arnold. I am in the process of placing backdrops around my layout. Right now they are only temporarily taped up in place while I am determining their final placement, but I am not sure how to attach them. Now I know at least to not use spray adhesive!

Mark

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2016 :  10:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, like Mark said, that's good to know.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/24/2016 :  06:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I cheated for this backdrop and used photos from the internet cut out and spliced together.

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2016 :  10:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That ain't Cheatin', that's taken advantage of a good way to go!

James Cubie
New Hire

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  08:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Send James Cubie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A new find -- I have found a source for printing photo backdrops that is excellent. He is cheaper than others and gets the work done quickly. He even found a problem with one of mine and fixed it at no cost. https://www.trainjunkies.com/I use photo backdrops -- usually from my own photos. He recomeneded printing on vinyl which has worked out very well for me -- does not tear etc. I use photoshop elements to create the panorama -- easy software to deal with.

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000