Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: leftyfretguy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  11:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made a jig today and have started knocking out the main trusses in pretty quick order. Yes, the center support looks off center, but, I just set it in place for the pic. It hasn't been made permanent yet.

Also, started thinking about when it would be the best time, to start wiring the enginehouse for lighting.
In the twenties, they were using open wiring that ran through ceramic clamps. I think it was called: 'knob and tube, or knob and post.'

Sorry, I can't make them larger, but they are thumbnails and don't take to enlarging well.

I also remember my granddads house and it had this. I also remember when wiring came down a wall to a switch, the wiring was housed inside a hollow wooden channel, that was covered with a wood strip.
Wiring that dropped from the ceiling to a light fixture, was woven through a chain that held the lamp. Saw one erupt into flames one time, it was shortly thereafter, he had the house rewired!

This is how I want to do the wiring in the enginehouse. Of course, I do not want to re-create the bursting into flames and have a fire part. I haven't built my 'working'scale firehouse yet!

It shouldn't be too very difficult. If it causes any problems, I can always go with the hidden wiring method.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/24/2012 12:00:50 PM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  10:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The rust on those gusset plates looks fantastic!

Cheers, Mark.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  11:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark_dalrymple

The rust on those gusset plates looks fantastic!

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark. I used bragdon powders for the black iron and rust.

Dave (HWCRR)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  11:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was a very productive one. Not only did I get the jig built, I knocked out 5 of the main trusses. Still have not put the gussets and NBW's on. But, have to wait for those. I ran out as well as ran out of 2"x 8"'s for the other wall.
Been having a problem getting scale lumber. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a shortage? I don't like letting something set too long. It starts collecting dust and I get antsy.

Here are todays pics:

The trusses are not glued in yet. Just balanced and held together at the peak by the beam. Which is not glued either. It is just a friction fit.

Happy railroading!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/24/2012 11:48:42 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  07:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great.
Are you making the roof removable?

As you think, so will you be.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  11:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Looks great.
Are you making the roof removable?

Hey Rick. Thank you for your question. Yes, I am going to make the roof completely removable. This enginehouse is only a small part of a larger diorama. It is being built to take to shows as a display. The diorama will also include a machine shop, blacksmith shop, paint shop, gallows turntable, (I am presently also working on the spider carrier for the turntable on paper), offices, water, oil and all the support that goes with these. I am striving for as much realism as humanly possible. (I haven't quite figured out scale nails yet )), just kidding.
I welcome all input, criticism and suggestions! Thanks again Rick.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/25/2012 11:07:56 AM

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  3:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave you are correct the style of wiring is called "knob and tube". Your building is looking really great.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  11:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back at it today. I went out and bought a sheet of 1/32 ply sheet for the siding of the enginehouse. I only purchased one small sheet, because this was an experiment.
At first, I thought about just cutting out the window openings, and putting it on in one continuous piece.
Then, I realized this would not give me the look I truly wanted. Not only would it appear too neat, it would be harder to get the weathered look I was looking for.
So, I cut it in 1/2 inch strips to represent 24" width boards. This is the standard spacing between the studs. In one place the spacing is less, and in another, it is just a bit more. Gives it a more random and made for the place it belongs look. At least, that's the idea. Now, I can devote time to each board, making the weathering more random.
I am using HO 2x4 lumber, as the battens.

Here, three of the boards are showing some dry rot, the cracked and weathered paint. Sorry, it's just a tad fuzzy.

Here's a close up on two of the boards. They have been scrapped and gouged with my fine point tweezers. After that, I dip them in A/I. Once that dries, I swipe them with white glue. Only one swipe. That's it. After about 10 minutes, I give them one swipe of paint, top to bottom, then set them aside to completely dry.

My neighbors ladyfriend said the paint color I have chosen, looks like baby doo! Are you kidding me? This is a well thought out color mix that I have chosen for all the way buildings of my diorama!
That gave a mental image that probably will never go away! It could emotionally and pshycologically scar me for life!
Every time I look at my diorama from now on, that mental image is going to return.
It's kinda sorta like, when the wife goes out and buys you a 'cute little choo, choo," for Christmas or your birthday. When you open it, it is ugly and the wrong scale. But, you are stuck with it. You can't put it on the shelf, and you can't sell it. Divorce has been granted for lesser things. It's there, "until death do you part!"

Ah well.....back to the thread at hand.

Here are the boards and battens for the one wall, sitting loosely in their proper locations. The battens still need to be trimmed to length and I have to cut the boards and battens for above and below the windows.

Time to prep, paint and weather now. Hopefully, I will get this wall finished today and be able to post it.
If not, it will be five days on the road before I can.

Happy railroading!!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 10/02/2012 10:21:24 PM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  11:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by northern6400

Dave you are correct the style of wiring is called "knob and tube". Your building is looking really great.

Thank you for the confimation and comment Northern!

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  7:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did'nt get enough done to post any finished results like I was hoping. Gotta hit the road for five days. "On the road again..."

Happy railroading!

Dave (HWCRR)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  8:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got back to work on the enginehouse today. Made a couple of trusses and put a lot of board and batten on the framework. I have been having problems getting scale lumber, so, I purchased a small piece of 1/32 plywood and have been cutting my board and batten out of this material. It works pretty good. Adds a lot of work though. Also framed a couple of the windows.

Dave (HWCRR)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  8:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the pic of the side, I can see a crooked window frame. Gotta fix that!

Dave (HWCRR)

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  9:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will become the finest baby poo enginehouse ever built!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  10:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those boards, especially the outside, look awesome.
How did you get that look?

As you think, so will you be.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  10:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has certainly turned out to be a very interesting build and alot of new techniques that I never heard of. Keep up the great work.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000