Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  10:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a little more work done to the enginehouse today. Started building the center joist support that goes the full interior length of the enginehouse.

Used 8x10 lumber for the posts and beams.

I used one long piece for the beam itself. I only cut small slots where they would have been separated. Reason being, you will never see the entire joint, once the unit is completed.
The posts are of course glued at 12' interval along the bottom of the main beam.
Once I had them all glued to the beam, I then cut out a pattern for the steel plates that would connect the beam to the posts.

Then I cut the plates themselves from blank card stock and painted them raw umber. Once that had dried I then went over them with bragdon powder black and then some light rust.

After all this had dried, I began to drill the holes for the NBW castings. There is a total of 12 plates and 68 NBW's.

Once the other wall is finished, this will support the joists in the center of the enginehouse.

Dave (HWCRR)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  11:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave, your work is looking very well thought out, and executed.

Greg Shinnie

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  6:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked it up again today. Finished putting all the NBW's and steel gusset plates on the main support beam going the inside length of the enginehouse.
This beam will support the main roof support beams which are a scale 3"x12" lumber.

The roof support beams are made of very heavy timbers. They do not actually support the weight of the roof. They will eventually support a rack system for chain hoists, that will be used to move heavy loco parts to the machine shop and back.

There will be a total of 14 main trusses and 4 end trusses that will be to support the external siding.

The trusses are still in need of the steel plate gussets and NBW's. Each truss will have 6 plates and 32 NBW's.
Let me see.....that's 84 plates to cut. What am I doing to myself?

I think maybe, I should take out stock in Grandt Line!

Lots of fun stuff to come!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/20/2012 07:28:53 AM

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  12:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really looking good Dave. You will probally have detail that may never be seen after the engine house is finished, but you will know it is there and if anyone really looks deep, they will see it too. It is that kind of detail that makes things look real.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  12:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very nice. I like how the gussets turned out.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  07:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your encouraging words guys. It goes a long way. Don't forget though, the roof panels will be removable. That will enable a lot of that detail to be seen. Also, the roof has to be removable, because the windows are operating. That means there will be maintenance required on rare occasions. The windows will be removable from their respective openings, via the interior, without doing any damage to the structure.

Dave (HWCRR)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  10:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not going to get much done today, but I did want to post what I did this morning. The rest of the day is pretty much set for domestic duties.

Anyway, this is close to what the trusses will look like when finished. Where the tweezer's are pointing, in the lower pic, I still have to make the steel gusset plates and place them.

It just occured to me, that I made the statement on one of my first posts in the forum, "I am not a rivet counter." What has happened to me? Let me be clear on thisss! ROTFLMBO!! I have become an NBW counter. This is your fault! The modellers in this forum, are the best and do outstanding work. You have been an inspiration. How can I possibly settle for less now?

Catch y'all later!

Dave (HWCRR)

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  10:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
handsome build - love the details

Elliott

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  12:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOWSA!

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  3:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great gusset and NBW detail.
Need to incorporate the gusset plates in my next builds.
Mike M

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  4:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking fantastic Dave!

I'm just wondering why the gable truss would be lower than the other trusses unless it is to support outriggers resting on it between the first truss in and a fly rafter (thus giving you an overhang)? I posted a pic of this detail on page two of another thread. Here is the link.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36645

This is how the fly rafters have been attached whenever we have had lower gable trusses in building houses.

Cheers, Mark.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  6:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your words Mike, Mark, Philip and Elliot.

You have a sharp eye there Mark. The gable truss is lower for that very reason. I will place a ladder of stringers between the first truss and over the front truss. I have built it so they (the stringers) will be a level foundation for the roofing substructure. They will rest on the front truss and will support the outside trim rafter. The only overhang, will be just enough so the siding will come up to the inside bottom edge of the outside rafter. This rafter will be a little wider so the siding will actually slide up under it. No soffit, no fillers, (they weren't too concerned about pretty on these structures, just function). This will allow the front siding to come up flush with the very top of the front truss, bottom of the stringers. Not sure if this is how it is done in real life, but this is my solution to the overhang and flying rafter issue. Not sure I have explained this too clearly.
I am not too good at drawing, but I will try and come up with one and post it. Most of this work is done on graph paper. There are no, what can be called, actual blueprints. Just some rough drawings that you can see in the first of this post. It's all in my head and I see it as clear as....

Dave (HWCRR)

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  8:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice work!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  9:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you KP.

I got all the domestic stuff done today and in good order.
I came back to the enginehouse just to finish the one interior truss I had started.

I picked up the first NB casting with my tweezers, suddenly it left on a high speed trip to the carpet.
Waste not want not. I took my desk lamp, and down I went to the carpet. It took about 5 minutes of crawling around and suddenly, there is was! This is a #128 Grandt Line casting. Small just doesn't quite describe it.

I am here to tell you, carpet can be defeated!

I wonder, if I could get away with removing small tufts of my carpet? Could make good spring grass. Nah, better not.

Enough of that. Here is the one finished truss. Only 13 more to go, in the enginehouse proper. Plus 3 end trusses.

Enjoy!!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/20/2012 9:22:07 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  11:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate it when that happens. I hate to think of how many N-B-W's the dog has snorted as she also always starts looking when I do a carpet dive.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000