Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  4:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is time to build the engine house for the service facility. It is going to be a two stall stucture with pits. I have been working on the drawings and will share those at a later date.
First on the list of details is, operating windows.
Last night I sat down and drew out a rough thought. This morning I built one window to get a better perspective. It has 46 individual pieces. 1 piece of plastic for the glass and two brass pieces of wire for the pivots. This window has a broken pane and is covered with corrugated roof material. It still needs the stops and a prop rod and the brass pivots trimmed back.

This is one of 16 I will be building. I like the way it turned out. I will be making the mullions of smaller lumber. Other than this, I am pretty satisfied. Well, have to get building!

I will do a clinic on building these when I get it together. It isn't difficult, just time intense.

Dave (HWCRR)

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  5:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, now ... if this is the way you START a thread, then this is going to be a good one! Beautiful work.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Edited by - dallas_m on 08/21/2012 5:17:06 PM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  5:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Dave. This is incredible. Now to whittle it down to HO scale! Not only the fact that the window has the ability to open, it looks great with your weathering and attention to detail as well! Great job!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  6:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great comments guys. I went ahead and put the stops on the window. Here is a perspective pic of the window in the wall of the enginehouse drawing.

Thanks again for the great words.

Dave (HWCRR)

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  8:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start. I can see opening and closing windows to see if visitors notice the difference. What fun.

Bryan

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  08:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I gave it a lot of thought yesterday, about what I was going to use as a way to prop these windows open.
Here is my solution. I made two hinges from brass shim stock, then wrapped them around piano wire. I don't have the wire dimension, it has been lost to the ages. But, I will find out and put it in the build section for anyone that is interested.
Man, this was probably the hardest part of the whole thing so far. Those suckers are tiny.
I made them so when the window is pushed open, they just drop in place. What do you think?

The enginehouse I am getting ready to construct, is going to be very detailed. The roof will be removable and massive amounts of detail will be involved. At least this is the plan.
I am calling for help with this part of it. Information on what would be inside the enginehouse.

Thanks
Dave (HWCRR)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  8:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't build any windows today. But, I did build one section of foundation, and wall. The foundation is made from a 10"x10" piece of scale basswood lumber. I then cover the two sides showing, with white modelers putty. This is to simulate concrete. Once it dries, I will then paint with concrete color, then add some weathering powders to simulate some age. On top of that, I laid 12' scale 2"x10's as a sill plate. Then I build twelve foot sections of wall with 2"x8" studs.
Each twelve foot section will have a window insert.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 08/22/2012 8:52:04 PM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  9:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's fun when you can see things starting to take shape ... nice!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  10:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, I will be following along.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  11:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work with that working window!
The glass even looks like the old ripple kind.
The only trouble with working windows is, that it leads too working doors & skylights

Greg Shinnie

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang Greg, did you see my plans before I had them drawn? How do I surprise anyone now? LOL!!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  11:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent window and I did notice the ripples in the glass too.
Nice touch.

We did an engine house build in the On30 forum.
There are some prototype pictures that may give you some ideas.
Here's the link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27394

As you think, so will you be.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  2:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not going to get much done today. But, I am going to construct the middle section and left door opening of the enginehouse.
As the owner of the railroad, I was tossing around the idea of putting a window or an entrance between the engine doors. My better half had suggested this idea. She said, "it would look so cute." I tossed and turned more than one night with this. Time was running out. Both lost! My conscience engineer (very tactfully) suggested, "Well, it would be great for the added light and an extra door is never a bad idea, but if there is either, then there is no place for hinge support. Those are pretty large and heavy doors." Well "duh!" I was so embarassed at showing my ignorance. I probably gave up good meals, among other things, for an interminable amount of time for this decision. But, business in business. The human entrance will be located on the right side of the building!

Yeah, they're crude drawings, but they work.

Concrete poured.

Now for the studs.

But, that will be shown in the next installment.
Gotta run.

Dave (HWCRR)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info and the link Rick. I will certainly check that out.

The ripple glass effect is done by, instead of dipping the plastic into floor wax, it was carefully brushed on in three thin layers, after the mullions were placed.
Dave

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  2:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That ripple glass is just the way to go. Sometimes model windows are way to clear and it looks fake. The windows themselves though are perfect.

Bill

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  01:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry it has taken so long to put this up, but I lost internet for 5 days. Drove me nuts. It was a short trip.

If I did not mention it before, each window has 46 separate pieces. Now I am going to give a 'toot' on how I put them all together.

Materials are:

2x8's For the window casings
1x6's For the window frames
2x4's (HO scale) For all the mullions
balsa stripping that comes to 2 scale inches in thickness for 'O' scale. This is used for the window frame cores.
.036 brass wire For the pivots (64 wire bit)
Ultra thin clear acetate for the glass

Elmers glue
CA
Floor wax
coarse paint brush
the assorted tools

I made jigs to facilitate drilling all the holes in the right spots of course. Took longer to build the jigs, than it takes to build a dozen windows.

To begin, I first cut a piece of acetate 2"x 3/4". This is in and of itself, a jig for everthing but the casing.

I then add the mullions to one side of the window and using a coarse paint brush, swipe on the floor wax. This will give the finished window the look of 'ripple,' glass.
While the wax is sticky, I will place the outside mullions.
Then just repeat everything to the opposite side.

Once I have these in place, I will then use the mullion jig to place the center vertical and horizontal mullions.

Once all has dried, I will then use my drilling jigs for the casings and window frames, to line of the holes for the brass wire pivots.

I place the wire pivots in the window frame with ca. Once dry, using my last jig, all the pieces are put in place and set, using white glue. This is allowed to dry for no less than 30 min., before removing the completed window from the jig.

This is where I am at on the enginehouse so far. It's getting there.

If I am not real clear in explaining this, sorry. This is my best. I just find it easier to do than to tell.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/05/2012 04:25:01 AM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000