Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 102

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  8:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Iíve used lacquer thinner to remove varnish from furniture so Iím sure it would remove gunk from rails. Itís pretty strong stuff and is carcinogenic. I think it will do a real job on plastic. My inclination would be to avoid it. Many of us use MEK for joining styrene. Itís big problem is thatís itís an irritant to lungs and skin but I donít think itís in the same league as lacquer thinner. Still, Iíd think straight acetone would be enough.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Bob! The CMX is expensive but does a great job! I just love mine. As with yours my Steamers have trouble pulling it. I also have a Bachmann diesel pulling mine.

HŚkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  12:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Mike and HŚkan Thank you. I think I'm going with Alcohol. The Diesel run excellently. Very good slow speed control and a lot of pull. For some reason I fell younger looking at it too.
Work on the Mogul is continuing and progressing.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: ANOTHER diesel on a layout of one of The Faithful...

WHAT is going on here??? I thought I was the only infidel that had fallen from the ranks of The Faithful? (i.e Doing some diesel modeling.)

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  4:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Re: ANOTHER diesel on a layout of one of The Faithful...

WHAT is going on here??? I thought I was the only infidel that had fallen from the ranks of The Faithful? (i.e Doing some diesel modeling.)

Andre

All Royalty have peasants to do the Dirty Work.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 12/31/2018 9:22:06 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  3:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

for those of you who don't follow me on facebook Let me just make a quick note here. I had my last procedure a few days ago and lost the last of the hardware I picked up in surgery and my Doctor declared me Cancer Free. Now excuse me I got a railroad to build.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  3:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WONDERFUL news Bob!!

It's par-TAY time!!

Go get 'em Killer!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  3:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thatís terrific!

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/19/2019 3:55:21 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  4:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news from Bob!!!!

I bought an RS-2 Atlas Peon to test and then clean my track :-) I'm talking to Mike Rose about adding DCC. A 'keep-alive' would be great for cleaning, but not as helpful for testing. So it would be great to have an easy way to dis-engage that. Sound would cost at least $100 more, so I guess I can live without diesel sound on my 1890s layout :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  6:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news Bob.!!! Congrats!! .

What is your FB name? I'm not a member, but the Mrs. is.....

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  6:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Andre, Mike,Dave and Carl, Thank You, Very much.

Dave, I want my track cleaner to find any dead spots so a Current Keeper for me would be counter productive. My Diesel is DCC but without sound and that is OK by me. I don't like the sound of Diesel engines in anything. But I like the All wheel pick up and want to add it to my steam engines.

Carl, it's Robert Harris

It's only make-believe

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  7:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the happy news! Glad to hear trains are running, be they diesel or steam.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Galen.

Yes, I'm working on the Railroad again. While doing a little cleaning I found I had one of the new tooling Atlas turntable. I don't remember buying it but, there it was. It allows closer stall placing and has Nickle/silver rails. Additionally it still have the hand crank. When I built my staging yard I had used the original Atlas turntable with a motor drive. It screamed like a banshee. So I swapped it out for the new tool version. I'm quite pleased to turn the engines manually and save my ears.
I was also able to do some maintenance on the turnouts of yards ladder. I also worked on the...

Moguls. One of the advantages of the prototype FUD prints is that you can work out things before working on the brass parts. Here's an example showing how I used the FUD prototype to eliminate the bind.

The drill on the left in the brass part is the clearance drill for the pin a #51. The one on the right that's in the FUD prototype part is a #49. I installed the FUD part on the engine and with both nuts on the pins, NO BINDS. So I drilled out the Brass part (note: this modification was applied only on the Third axle hole), installed it on the model and no bind. Repeated the process for the other side and still no Bind.

Just as a side note; Don't trust the marked drill sizes on the case (I use a cheap Chinese set) check them with a gauge.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  4:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Great to see you modeling/posting again! Love the way your Mogul is shaping up.

New tooled Atlas TT?

Do tell.

Do you by some chance have a picture of same? I don't think I have a dog's chance of working one in at the summit for my TOC19 era... but it wouldn't hurt to see one and get a grip on the dimensions.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  5:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kitwood Hill is working on a 65' HOn30 gallows TT that should also be available in HO standard gauge.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 01/23/2019 5:09:07 PM

Page: of 102 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000