Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 53 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 102

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  10:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am now home from the hospital. The enemy was hunted down and destroyed He had occupied more territory than testing had revealed which lead to a longer and more destructive of the "land"surgery than was planned. I'm looking at 2.5 tp 3 weeks of recoverey.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  10:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow... I must have missed something major... didn't know you were having surgery!!

Take care of yourself and follow your Doc's instructions and get well soon!!

Andre

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  07:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the battle was a success. Good to hear!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  08:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Best wishes for a rapid recovery.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  10:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice detail on the donkeys. Here's a picture of my 1:20.3 Precision Scale AH&D 3-drum donkey. The boiler is 5-1/4" high and it's 2-1/8" in diameter if that's any help in trying to figure the scale of yours. The top of the stack is 8-1/8" high.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/01/2018 10:47:35 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  12:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank, That a super nice model donkey there. 81/8" tall in F scale. interesting.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  3:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
Just want to drop in a note. Recovery is progressing positively. Though more slowly than I would will. The surgery took more wind out of my sails too. I have only been able to think about my projects, the layout and the scoop to which they are were being executed. I actually got out to the workbench yesterday and was able to review my progress on the Moguls with the purpose of starting on them again. I have lost over 20 lbs (yea!) but some of that has been in mussel tone and I'll be spending some of my time addressing that in the coming year. I have enjoyed watching all of the progress you guys are making as I recover.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 12/09/2018 3:21:00 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  6:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some weight loss techniques are not recommended :-)

Hope you feel better to start the new year!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  9:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Take care of yourself. Itís nice hearing your voice.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  02:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very glad to read that you're recovering and making positive gains. Hoping for the very best for you.

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  1:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very glad to have you back Bob! I sure will follow along with your modeling projects. Especially the mogul.

HŚkan

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  05:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do any of you recognize them?

I think what you have there are models from Wiseman Models.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  4:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys. I really appreciate the support.
Adrian, Thank you. I thought that might be so I checked his web page but didn't find a match there.

With joy I was able to work on the Moguls today. To remind you all, the 1/8" axle model was giving me trouble with driver binding and the Main gear slipping in the gearbox. The main gear was not aliened properly on the axle. After careful observation I found the problem. I had got my gearbox parts mixed up and had forced a gear bored for 3.5mm onto the 1/8" axle. In addition I damaged the thread on the axle by the improper way I was putting the gear on the axle so I could not lock the drive wheel into its proper position adding to the binding problem. So today, I removed the gear and using a drill press as Harold suggested put on the gear that was designed for a 1/8" axle. I could only mount one driver because of the damaged thread but when I assembled the gearbox it ran perfectly with no slipping. So I'm feeling real good. I have ordered a replacement axle. Don't you love learning curves?
By the way the owner of scale-link wants to retire (I don't blame him) so if you want any of these products I suggest you get an order together.

My recovery continues to go smoothly.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  5:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Track cleaning.

Yes, one of our favorite subject and most hated chores. I have been using a Centerline car with Goo Be Gone as a solvent with OK results. In an effort to get better results I purchased a CMX Clean Machine while I was remodeling.

[

These come highly recommended. But fully loaded they weight a pound and need to be pushed the first time around. My little Americans can't handle that. I used a Thomas the Tank Engine To pull around my Centerline Car. The kid got a kick out of seeing Thomas on my railroad. But, I don't thing Thomas can handle this new car. So I went out and got This a few days ago;

I was going to get a Athern, Kato or Atlas model as they have a fine reputation but for less than 1/2 the price I choose this Bachmann. It's a GP 9. It got good online reviews. One said it could haul 40 cars on the level. It has DDC but no sound. That's OK with me, I don't enjoy the sound of Diesels anyway. I did like that it came decorated in the earliest paint scheme that I can remember seeing an engine wearing. The model seems to be well built and mechanically sound but I haven't tested it yet. It's been over a year since I've had the track power on and I have a (irrational) fear of what might happen when I do turn it on again. But it is going to happen today or tomorrow.
First I need to decide whether to use Nail Polish Remover, Lacquer Thinner, Straight Acetone or MEK in the car.

Suggestions and cautions are requested.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  10:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read on Model Railroad Hobbyist, the on-line magazine, that after you clean the track rub artist graphite sticks on the track. Itís not necessary to get it everywhere because the wheels will distribute it and coat the wheels. Graphite makes for good conductivity. I use it and recommend it.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/20/2018 10:25:35 AM

Page: of 102 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000