Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl:

Apparently the "Remodel From Hell"!!

Like almost all remodel's, reads as if it's really snowballed.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Carl, that's nice. I'm redoing the kitchen and enlarging and updating (I call it seniorizing) the Bathroom.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  12:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Seniorizing the bathroom is an excellent idea. Thatís been on our list for a while and will be next after kitchen upgrade.

Meanwhile, maybe you need a smaller railroad project for the occasional downtimes.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  1:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I completely understand Bob.
I've done all those projects multiple times and can attest to their overpowering nature...

It's the same reason I disappear from the hobby from time to time.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  2:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, and, that's an excellent idea. Trouble is Everytime I'm looking at the bench there's these shinny brass parts calling "assemble me". I do have a kit to do. Another storage shed. Maybe I should do it for the "one off the shelf challenge".

Carl, yes we must prioritize things properly (even when it hurts).

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 03/11/2018 3:03:51 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  11:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following Mike's suggestion, I deciced to build one of these;

This Kit arrived in three boxes on a pallet weighing 170 lbs and was delivered to my drive way. I opened each box and shorted the parts by type in my work area. After a few hours I had this;

and then it start raining. Today I was able to start on the build. Building the trusts and peaked ends today;

Next is the doors. And yes this is 12" to the foot. When finished, the shed is 8'x16'

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  11:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Terrific idea. Donít forget the weathering. If you leave it in the rain unassembled, maybe nature will do the weathering for you.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  04:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice!

Apart from weathering donít forget adding nail holes to the siding

HŚkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  9:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
Yes, it's been a while but, hopefully we can start having some fun here again. Now that the construction is officially "Done" only clean up the back yard and moving into the Kitchen continues. My wife gets to set up the kitchen so that pretty much frees up my schedule except for the occasional "hang this shelf" type thing.
While I wasn't able to work on the Railroad it was still very much on my mind. So planning and procurement continued. So let me start to catch up with this and the next post.
This is how the shed turned out;

This really worked out nicely. It has room for the emergency supplies, the Bikes, the electric scooters (I ran a electrical line out to it so that we could charge the scooter and have a light too) and also store my lesser used tools and other supplies that are sturdy enough for the heat.
For those of you who don't follow me on Facebook here is how my senorizing of the bathroom turned out;

This room use to end where the 2nd vanity ends. The wardrobe in the addition holds the hamper and stores the towels and other "stuff". Here's the shower;

The idea behind all this was to eliminate any falls as we get older.

I bought myself a new cut off saw and built a little bench for it;

And another new tool I went ahead and got now although I won't be able to play with it for months because I'm afraid that certain factors might cause a very dramatic price inflation. Here's the box, can you quest what it is?

Hint; it's 222 lbs and it doesn't cut metal.

That's all for now. there more I want to share. Mostly old stock newly acquired but also a new product that is pretty exciting.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  06:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

All good and useful projects. Our long range plan calls for a seniorized bathroom. It will have to wait for completion of our new kitchen and recovery of bank accounts. The kitchen project started yesterday.

Intriguing box, I must say.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 07/20/2018 06:49:35 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  06:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back! All your projects turned out very well Bob.

I like the new saw, but the bench seems a bit too short for me....

And it looks like the "big box" surprise tool needs it's own room!

What is your Facebook name?

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  07:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we moved into this place we had the bathrooms all Seniorized. In our bathroom the shower is stepless and what a nice difference it makes. When the family stays over even they like a the bars in the showers.

Love the shed extra weathering not needed, Congrats on jobs well done.

TomO

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  6:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everybody! I do appreciate it.

Mike, Thank you, and I'm sure you know this but keep an eye on your future plans so that you don't end up paying twice.

Carl, Thank you, You're right, it is low. It's 30" from the work surface to the ground. perfect height to match a cheap saw horse;

In other news; I mention procurement these are the high lights.
I got 14 turnout "kits" on eBay for about $3.00 each which I will use on the planned harbor extension. I obtained a CMX track cleaning car and will report on how well it works when I get it going. And I was able to get several bargains on eBay. I got two GEM car sets.
This is the UP Parmontory Set.

For what ever reason GEM included a UP caboose instead of a baggage car. Because of the condition of the caboose I got this set for a bargain price. This caboose will be an easy fix and will fit in well with my layout's theme but I don't know if I'm going to bother because the car will just be too heavy. It well depend on how successful with the baggage car I'll talk about in just a minute. But first let me show you this passenger car close up;

I have the Westwood kit for this car (and the central Pacific set too)and feel I'll be able to offer a couple of quality passenger trains.

Here are the CP cars;

With the beauty of brass goes the curse of weight. All who work in this era know our engines are gutless. They just don't have the weight. So we make the cars they pull as light as possible. So how will I pull around brass passenger cars with my Bachmann Americans? Maybe I put two powers trucks in that baggage car with a whole lot of weight and consist the two together with the DDC controller. I'll let you know how it works out.

Break time

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  8:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This was a risky purchase. I got a good price because the importer has a bad reputation for mechanical quality. This is Empire-Midland PRR H1A DL-104 1874. I hope to get her running well and looking better and put her in helper service.

Next is a find on Shapeways;
https://www.shapeways.com/product/2UPLP3R43/it-prr-coal-gondola-hopper-shorter-bolster?optionId=65467609&li=ostatus

This isn't a kit. You have to add a few details, trucks and couplers. It's designed to take Tahoe arch bar trucks.

And now it's back to building a couple of Moguls.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2018 :  03:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! Welcome back Bob!

Andre

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000