Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  6:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, thatís a lot of information thanks to Erik and Bob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  02:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, your welcome.
Tonight I got the basic shell of the boiler drawn so I put the parts together to make sure the motor and gearbox will fit.

My parliamentary studies suggested I might be able to get a larger motor than the 10x12x27 represented by the box. This study confirmed those finding unless I move the motor to the tender but I am not going to do that.

Shapeway tells me that my FUD frame shipped today. I'll be watching for the mailman.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be waiting for the mailman too.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  8:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Mail man came and brought the 2nd brass test piece. The results are very encouraging.

Notice that the external measurement are exactly the same thus demonstrating the repeat-ability of Shapewayes brass printing/casting.
I made the slot opening .005" smaller on all three sides the slot was smaller;

To my eyes I just see a little filing needed.

Look at the detail on this test piece;

Look at the rivets, these are the same size as I used on my firebox side. The raised rim around the slot, the bar to the right are all 1 mm square, total thickness of this piece is just under 3 mm.

I'm very encouraged at this point. While working on my boiler drawing I found that I made a big error on the width of the gearbox I'm planning to use. That is, it's actually much wider so the frame design is going to have to be corrected for this. That's alright at this point. the first frame print in FUD is to test to make sure everything fits before plucking down 60 bucks for the brass frame. Hopefully I'll get the first frame prints tomorrow. Things are looking good.

It's only make-believe

Yellow signal
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  06:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The brass piece looks great. I can't wait to see the result. I see a whole new line of brass models appearing....

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Ngineer

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  09:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i I see a whole new line of brass models appearing....

As long as we can keep two key MFG's in business. NWSL for gearboxs and Scalelink for drivers.

And thank you for the kind words. First frame test should arrive this afternoon or tomorrow.

Might do one more brass test too.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice Bob, I'm very encouraged with brass printing/casting.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  11:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frank, I'm really glad other are learning from this.

I got my FUD frame test back today. I think it looks great for the first try. take a look;

Yes. it's very hard to photograph but the detail is great and the print is square and exactly the drawn size. Square and strong. Strong enough I think to be used in a running model except that it has no weight or electrical conductivity. So now how do things fit? Take a look;

The motor fits, I need to make more room for the gear box (the slot needs to be wider) and these two issues have to be addressed;

Yes the cylinder is too close to the lead driver. This cylinder set is a
Rescission Scale 31189 for a Wabash Mogul of a later build than my prototypes. The valve chest is the correct size but the cylinders are too long. Shortening will solve this problem I think.
I should of seen this other one coming;

The prototypes had blind center drivers and my model needs to have them also. I do have a lathe, guess I need to remember how to use it. I'm concern how the heat of cutting the flange off will effect the rest of the driver. I have one set of drivers so I'll try out the process on some others I have no use for. I believe the process will be easier on the all brass drivers set I have, but I am
contemplating buying a set of drivers from Scale link for a 2nd engine. Their centers are not brass but ABS plastic. I wish Barnd was following along here. You who are, what are your thoughts?

It's only make-believe

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nobody who's paid to run lathes likes light cuts, but they're fine for hobbyists, as are stops to cool down the part with an ice cube. Or you could 'lathe file' with a fine file (mounted in a handle with the usual precautions).

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, I noticed print layer lines in the photo. Are they noticeable on the actual frame?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  10:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JB-
Thank you, So many light cuts taking lots of time to allow cooling with help from an ice cube.

Frank,
I've done absolutely no cleanup on these casting yet. And on the back of the ash pan the layers are emphasized by the curved surface and the default number of sagments that sketchup uses. I also tried to add some small details, two hinges and and line for the lid end that added to the problem there. Even at that, at normal viewing even from 4" away there is nothing that a little light sanding and a coat of paint can't handle.

A black background with indirect defused light works better for these models;

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 05/27/2017 11:09:29 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  01:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how the the drawing for the frame looks after making room for the true size of the gear box;

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  09:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job Bob. Looking forward to the shinny brass thing.

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  10:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The more I see of this stuff, the more I get interested in learning how to "print" my own models.

Horse

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  12:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a terrific thread to follow along even though at this time I foresee no opportunity to add another locomotive to the roster. Still, it shows what can be done should that assessment change. Thanks.

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000