Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  02:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found some unexpected time to model so I got a bit more done. Here were my Guard shack/tool house stands;

I need to clean up and square my window openings and then I can start putting the walls together. At some point I need to cut out the bottom of the doorways but right now I want the wall strength extra wood gives.

After this shed is build I'm going to start working on some boxcars. Jeff of Bitter creek
(http://bittercreekmodels.com/) has come out with a new kits. One of which is for a 25' Central Pacific Box Car that was in use from the construction period to the 20th century (well, some of them anyway). I will detail their built in a separate, dedicated tread.

16 days to retirement.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  8:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see I need to update this tread.
Today I start here;

And I squared the window openings, trim a little here, a little there and added glue and had;

and the back side;

Paint has been started.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  10:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I notice you could not resist starting the boxcars before finishing your shed.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  11:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Mike, I couldn't.

This shed is being built to fit a back story and it's going to get better (I hope)looking but here it is with the exterior painted.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  12:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and I'm now retired.

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  06:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and I'm now retired

Congrats Bob!

I'm right behind you ...59 days to go!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  07:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Congratulations! Can ws expect great progress on the railroad now?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  9:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A belated "CONGRATULATIONS!" Bob.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  6:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats to Bob! Just make sure the honey-do list doesn't get out of control!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  9:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, Mike, Hogger and Dave Thank you very much. Now it's just dividing time between all my projects.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  09:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Retired, now the real work begins.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  1:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that you are retired, by all accounts, you will be busier than ever! Congratulations.
Cheers,
Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  11:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I Have three projects going.
First lets return to the shed where I'm painting and fitting castings.

OPPS! I forgot to turn off the spotlight so the colors are too red. The antique white didn't work when I stained it so I repainted the barn doors in a "woodsy" tan. Further the Iron Oxide red didn't work with the green I had painter the interior so I darken it with a Kelly Green;

And I planed the porch roof;

I am seriously learning to use Sketchup to use in 3D printing. As you can see the skills have other uses too.

So what do I want to 3D print? A steam engine of course. I started by working through Sketchup's official tutorials and a half dozen other that I found on Youtube. Designing sheds and tables got me comfortable enough to start. A friend (who requested tha his name not be used here) has generously supplied me with drawing of the frame. I imported his Autocad drawings (you can only do that free for 30 days after which you have to turn the drawing into a JPG) into sketchup and started tracing. I also grew some test prints. I'm using the test prints to learn how to upload sketchup plans to Shapeways and see what can be printed and in what detail. As I want this engine to do some work I am building this frame in brass. After reading that the thinist wire in brass is 1 mm. (Sounds small? Many of the members of the frame are smaller than 1 mm) I had to redraw the plan and make it printable. A little out of scale but I'll let YOU tell me where I made the changes. Additionally I omited details and beefed thing up in area that won't be seen to give the frame more strength. So I started with this;

Went to this;

and this is where I'm at now;

Download Attachment:

I still have a lot to do. I'm working on the firebox and ash pan now.

And I worked on my new boxcars. For that please see my tread on them.

YES! retirement is grand!

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 05/10/2017 8:03:39 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  02:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We having fun yet?

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  7:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

You're going in several, very interesting directions. I'm especially interested in your steam engine journey.

Mike

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000