Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  3:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just in case (and I'm real skeptical of this0 there is somebody who reads my tread but doesn't read the challenge tread in Mike Chamber's Craftsmen Corner Forum, here is my finished sand house in about is final location;

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 02/14/2017 3:56:49 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the side-by-side comrison.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  9:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Looks great! You're going to need a "No Clearance" sign near the ladder.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  11:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
I followed your build in the 2017 challenge. The folks that like the sand house should go to the Mike Chambers Corner and see your SBS. You did a great job on the sand house and the STS close up photos really highlight your work.
Way to go Bob!!
Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  01:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I hope it was useful.

Mike, now you see why the side doors are open!

Dave, thanks for the very encouraging words.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  11:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Just in case (and I'm real skeptical of this0 there is somebody who reads my tread but doesn't read the challenge tread in Mike Chamber's Craftsmen Corner Forum, here is my finished sand house in about is final location;

OK, heres a dumb question, but how does the sand get up into the bunker?

I see the barn type doors, for the guy with the shovel, and wheelbarrow to go get a load of raw sand, to take it in to the screens, and drying oven, and it probably goes out a side door to the sand dome by pail, but how does the raw sand get into the outdoor bunker?

Details, I know, but this is just how my mind works.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  1:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Horse, I hope you've been well. As others have noted there is almost no clearance between the structure and the tracks. this is so personal can stand in the doorway and place a bucket of sand on the engine's walkway and also so that a gondola (actually the last sand came by wagon as the beach is just over the hill behind the trestle)can be spotted close to the bin and the sand transferred by a labor crew with shovels. The last car was in fact handled by the local school children after their classes for 25 cents an hour and they even provided their own shovels. The merchants loved the spike to the economy but some of the parents complained that I was paying them too much and my night guard wanted (and got) a raise.

It's only make-believe

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  1:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh! I love this! It drives me nuts when I can't figure out how my LP will get something done. Manual labour was way more common back then than now and sometimes brute force was the way to go. I shouldn't get so hung up on the details, I think.
Thanks for that Bob.
Cheers,
Dave

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  10:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Hi Horse, I hope you've been well. As others have noted there is almost no clearance between the structure and the tracks. this is so personal can stand in the doorway and place a bucket of sand on the engine's walkway and also so that a gondola (actually the last sand came by wagon as the beach is just over the hill behind the trestle)can be spotted close to the bin and the sand transferred by a labor crew with shovels. The last car was in fact handled by the local school children after their classes for 25 cents an hour and they even provided their own shovels. The merchants loved the spike to the economy but some of the parents complained that I was paying them too much and my night guard wanted (and got) a raise.

Love the backstory!

I was thinking that the spot on the base where you have the word "fuel" written, would be a good place for a conveyor up to the drier bunker, with a dump for wagons just beyond that. You could even have a below track dump pit for sand deliveries (along the lines of an ash pit). This would allow the storage of larger quantities of raw sand. You might also want to consider a location for dried sand storage. Either a covered bunker, or a small shed type building with a solid floor. Another option, would be to bag the processed sand in canvas sacks. This would allow bags of sand to be shipped to other, smaller engine facilities, and bags of dried sand could be provided to engine/caboose crews for various uses.

When I worked on the Strasburg RR, we got dried sand in paper bags, of 20lbs each. This allowed a laborer to carry one up onto the running boards, for dome filling. When I became a fireman, I kept a partial bag in my seatbox, just in case.

Now, with you having written "fuel", it occurs to me that you may have plans for a coal, or wood bunker on that location, but this is how my brain rolls.

I have managed to survive this winter with almost no illness at all. My arthritis has flared pretty bad a couple times, but that is just part of growing old, after having abused the heck out of your body in the military.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  1:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Horse for your comments and interest. I appreciate both. I'm probably going to move the sandhouse to the left about 30 feet and place the wood rick to the right. That way the supply track will have the wood rick on one side and the boiler house will be on the other so that the fireman in the boiler house can have easy access to their fuel.

Now I went and got my self a new supper speed computer and I want to see if I can post pictures without Mozilla Firefox.

Oh! it worked!

It's only make-believe

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  3:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really well done Bob. Been lurking but enjoying the creativity.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  12:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kris, I'm having a lot of fun too.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  2:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, the sand house looks great in its surroundings. I'll check out the challenge thread also.

Sorry that I have been so absent lately!

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  03:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Håkan, I'm so happy for you and very appreciative of you taking the time to visit and comment.

I have often heard others complain about poor kit instructions. The instruction that send me up the wall are the ones that come with our electrical components. It's like these electronic gurus have their not only their own language but their own thought patterns. I thought Digitrax's instruction Manuel for their command station was bad. It was straight forward compared to the the instructions to install the PR3 computer interface and it's drivers. What a pain! It took me all night to get it done. But, now, I'm able to read and program decoders with JMRI. But, what a pain!

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  1:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm back.
It seems I've run out of time on challenge so will post the rest of my build at home here. This is were I'm at on my guard shed/toolhouse build;

I've also been working with Sketch Up so that I can do some 3D printing. I used it to some in the past to design benches for my shop but I'm relearning to for this new project.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.6 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000