Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  04:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That little depot mockup looks promising! Looking forward to a building thread later on

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  10:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys it is appreciated,
Martin, yes three but three little ones , nothing a grand as your great mole.

Dallas, your right I have been down under a bit much. It wounder I haven't started speaking Aussie.

Håkan, I so want to start building structures again , but good track = happy model railroader.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well first of all, I was able to get outside and make roadbed this morning before the sun came out. Working nights I can't take the sun anymore. I kind of live like a Vampire, without the blood sucking, without the romance too, for that matter BUT, getting back on topic as I write this Beaver Junction's roadbed is glued together and clamped to dry. That's means a good 90% of the roadbed of the rebuild has been cut out. Only two short sections need to be done. The short pieces that will join this roadbed to the Big Trestle and to the hidden trackage remains. I think we all seen enough pictures of roadbed C-clamped together so I'm not sharing any more here. But I do got pictures to share of my 2nd subject which is;
The Great Problem of Early Rail Modeling
reliable operating Americans (4-4-0s)

Most of us are unhappy with what is available to us in the way of Engines. Over the the years several models have been produced in Brass. Most of these have good detail or at least good enough to start with. While they look good on the one hand while some ran nicely they could not anything. I had a PFM Promontory set. Those engine were good looking and heavy with the motor mounted in the engine. They could not pull two Central Valley trucked cars down level track. Don Ball is very happy with his Tender Driven PFM Renos that he has re-motored and balanced. The Detail of these brass engines is certainly better than the Bachmann version. But the Bachmann has traction tries which I see as a good thing. My RIV. 4-4-0 can pull a 9 car train up a 4% grade. (my Re-built Layout will have much better grades)but are oversize models. Denny has posted an re-motoring he did to the Bachmann engine here ; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40302

Here are two photos of my Re-motoring of an earlier Bachmann version I did several years ago;

What I did here was to add Riv. Trucks to the Bachmann tender. I really like the Riv. wider Nickel Silver pick ups. I also add a rail wipe to the engine. This really improved the running of the engine. It can handle almost the same train lengths as the Riv. engines. BUT, the detailing on the Bachmann engines still don't measure up. So the question is; Do I spend the time detailing the Bachmann or re-motoring the PFM Reno that might not preform as well? If I go through all the trouble to re-motor a PFM Reno only to get a gutless beauty I will not be a "happy camper". But the Bachmann needs a whole lot of work to look good. Oh, what to do, lay track build structures until I can decide. Like Phil says "press on".

Comments welcomed.

Download Attachment: PICT1274.JPG
152.3 KB

Download Attachment: PICT1275.JPG
149.68 KB

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 07/08/2013 5:38:53 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  7:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob,

I know very little about this re-motoring stuff...I don't own any rolling stock
or even have a layout.

But hey, it sure looks cool!

Please continue on! I wish to learn.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  12:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, man what a conundrum you have.I don't have any of these locos to study so some questions? Is there enough room in the boiler on the PFM to contain a motor? If you could get the motor over the drivers and not in the tender i think would help the pulling power a bunch.
Detailing the B'mann might be tedious trying to remove the unwanted details and would you be able to find or make era appropiate appliances?

Didn't really help did I

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  03:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, you did help Phil. Just recognizing my conundrum and helping me recall what I know is some what therapeutic. There is enough room for a motor in the engine.Ether a small can or open frame motor. PFM did that in one of their runs of the Reno. The result was the same as I had with the PFM Promontory set. They were gutless. As my neighbor use to say they "couldn't pull a hat off of ice". The problem was that the motors aren't heavy enough (in the case of cans)or the motor weight was over the gang way (open frame motors) instead of over the drivers. This wasn't a problem unique to PFM's Americans. I remember an article years ago in MR concerning a model of a Penn. Modern 4-4-0 that was also a gutless brass beauty. It came with the motor in the engine. His solution? Move the motor to the tender.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

It's only make-believe

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  10:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Just found the thread. I can really feel your pain and admire your dedication to ripping out a working layout and rebuilding. Did this myself about 18 months ago. Be encouraged, your new plan is excellent and seems like it will meet your desires and provide many years of happy modeling.

The roundhouse looks really good. From early post looks like you might have had the Kibri roundhouse before. Have that kit now but leaning more towards going ether the one you chose or maybe the SS Ltd roundhouse.

Look forward to seeing your progress on the roundhouse and the rest of your layout. Looking really good so far.

As for engines, since I model HON3 Blackstone has really good units, but they don't have Colorado & Southern, so likewise I'm having to work on old brass loco's. Does LocoDoc have any conversion kits for yours that improve performance? I use his kits and find them quite good.

Keep up the good work will be following with interest.

Thanks Cameron.

Edited by - CBryars2 on 07/12/2013 10:51:34 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  7:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Cameron, That was very nice of you.
Before you make a choice of roundhouses be sure and read over Dave's build of this Kit;
http://www.kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1007
Much of the struggle that Dave described was done by my Kit's first owner making things a whole lot easier for me. I have seen more than 6 of these kits finished. I have no experience with the SS ltd Roundhouse but I have noted that very few of them get built also which seems strange for such a nice looking structure.

Please indulge me as I share some progress shots. Beaver Jct. The brown layer is the water table;

the hidden trackage. Also seen is my duck under entrance. When someone advises you to avoid a duck under, listen to them, they are a pain in the ... that 1x4 is 49" from the floor. Hasn't move but I swear it keeps getting lower;

This is the next project. supporting this airline route that ended up about 18" from the nearest benchwork;

Thatttts allll folks

It's only make-believe

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  11:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, get Greg (Ensign) to send over Dallas from the "Vanishing Tiger". One would think he could fix this for you with a few Abracadabra's

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  02:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Phil,I don't want the railroad to disappear.

It's only make-believe

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  12:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, you started this project last year, just as I was leaving retirement and heading back to my old job for a year. Now that I'm retired again, I'm trying to get caught up on a lot of threads.

First, you have made a lot of progress in one year! Kudos for the having the fortitude to rip into your 23 year old layout - in a major way, no less.

I love that Freshwater Models' turntable. The pit with bricks is one of the nicest that I've seen. Congrats for getting it working.

Someplace in my travels I picked up a second-hand Model Masterpieces 4-stall C-M Roundhouse still in the box. One of the walls is broken, but should be easy to fix. I also picked up a Home Town Models 5-stall brick Roundhouse, and at some point I will have to make a choice between them as I on envision on more HO scale Roundhouse on the layout.

Being a fan of making cardstock mock-ups of structures to check for size, etc., I like your mock-ups, too. The only downside is that sometimes my mock-ups stay in place for extended periods of time.

Anyway, I enjoyed visiting all the pages in your thread. The mixture of rolling stock, motive power and layout construction makes an interesting mix.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  1:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I ran a build thread on the CM Roundhouse here: http://www.kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1007&hilit=+CM+roundhouse It's still in the "to be resumed" pile, I got stuck on the roundhouse floor. Sitting in front of it is one of the Freshwater Sellers kits. The CM kit is -a lot of work-.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, Dave.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  3:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Thank you!!! It's been a Year. Wow, time does fly when you're having fun. But then I'm closer to my self-imposed deadline of two years for all track work and basic scenery to be in! Oh no!!! I better get moving. The Home Town Models' roundhouse is good looking too. Hard choice there.

Dave, You're ALWAYS welcomed to do some self-promotion here buddy, But, I did reference your build in my last construction update cause it is so extremely helpful.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 07/14/2013 09:39:44 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  6:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Work to report on.
I supported the air route today. Here's what I did;

you can see the Block riser on the end or the benchwork. That was the easy part. The hard part was the roadbed 16" away from the benchwork. Here what I did here;

I built the C-channel buy gluing 1x2's to a 1x4 this morning held with c-clamps. When the glue had dried I added 4 #6x1 1/2" screws down each side. I attached this c-channel to the benchwork member with two 1x2's and said screws.

There is an old saying I learned from my wife; "Sometimes it better to be lucky than good". I would like to tell you that I planed this to work out this way but in truth I was lucky in that the arm projected out at exactly the right height(and grateful that it wasn't too high). I was expecting to add a raiser to the end of the C-channel but as you can see I didn't need to.

I need to add about 5' of roadbed to the sub roadbed and cut out the exit hole in the backdrop at Beaver Junction and then I finally can start laying track.

Thanks for looking

Download Attachment: PICT1280.JPG
61.54 KB

Download Attachment: PICT1281.JPG
57.49 KB

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000