Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  5:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! I had already forgot until I re-read this updated thread! Getting old and forgetful sucks. :)

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  1:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quick progress report. Sorry no picture (yet). I got the servo mount and driving the turnout and Tam Valley's Three way control is now programmed and working just as advertised. I just need to do the electric switch wiring, which I now know how to do thanks to Steve Hatch. Doing that and taking pictures (perhaps a video) will follow after I and my better half celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  5:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wired the Switch that operates the turnout;

The left two columns control the turnout movement, the right two the frog polarity of the three frogs.
I went and tested it and found that the turnout controls work perfect but something was wrong with the frog wiring. When you use the left route all frogs have to be active with all three at the same polarity (south). But the Center and right frog (wired together)were dead. After scratching my head a bit I found the solution I added a jumper as shown below in Black on Steve Hatch's original wiring diagram;

Please note; my turnout the center and Left route frog are isolated.

Back to the layout for testing and all is working well and as it should.

Next is installing the main buss lines and some feeders to the track.

Download Attachment: PICT2337.JPG
128.63 KB

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 07/31/2016 2:06:38 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  04:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Bob! I'm just curious and wondering on how the servo aligns the moving part? For the outmost positions there can be a stop but how does it work for the middle one?

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  11:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hakan, The Tam Valley Duel 3-way needs no stops it has a chip that remembers where the stops are.
Here's their web site http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/dual3way.html

Yesterday I got the buss line in and I laid about 14" of track on the first big trestle. It's interesting how relaxing hand laying track is. I'm spiking every 5th tie. This first trestle is 4'.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  04:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob for the explanation. The function of that chip is very neat.

Handlaying is great and very relaxing. I have no handlaid track now but when I was a teenager I handlaid most of the track on my then current layout.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Handlaying is great and very relaxing.

Håkan

Thanks Håkan, I'll cancel my appointment with the mental health expert.

The trestle over Miller's Slough is now spiked;

We fired up the balloon to get a better view;

Now what? Start the track feeders or go back to switch machine install?

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  5:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

How about switch machines in the morning, track feeders in the afternoon, and running trains in the evening?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  7:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bob,

How about switch machines in the morning, track feeders in the afternoon, and running trains in the evening?

Mike

Yes Sir, Mike, I hope to have some trains running (but not circling) by Monday night. Two more trestles are needed before they can make a loop.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  08:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running on DCC?

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  10:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Running on DCC?

Håkan

Not running on anything quite yet. But soon and it will be DCC, but not the turnouts because of the need to polarize the frogs. I will use switches on the Facial board. At least for all visible turnouts. The turnouts in the staging areas I might use the throttle to control. I'm also thinking of automating the logging line, We'll see.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  2:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a update report. I've gotten a lot done. All track is wired. All turnout are powered and motors are working RIGHT. We often read how DCC simplifies wiring;

And in truth is does. This would be twice the mess if I had to install blocks on all the yard tracks.
a TIP! When I installed the main buss line I hooked one end up to my old Throttle Master transformer by MRC. It has a circuit breaker that hums as well as lights so that anytime I had a short I heard it immediately.
When I was under the layout attaching the leads to the buss this helped a lot.
I just need to mount the circuit board, build a temporary control panel and cut in the DCC into the Buss Line. Then clean the track and I'll be running trains by Monday night.
Mike I never said which monday.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  2:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81Ojd3d2rY

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  4:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

You're making great progress. In contrast, I've spent the weekend removing track and wiring, getting ready for a major rebuild of about half my layout.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=newBzamr_fM

I would rather be building.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  8:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bob,

You're making great progress. In contrast, I've spent the weekend removing track and wiring, getting ready for a major rebuild of about half my layout.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=newBzamr_fM

I would rather be building.

Mike

I understand your feelings, maybe. That's where I was three years ago. See page 3 post 5818, where I expanded some of my thinking. I didn't really want to start over but I was waisting too much energy trying to make the old one work. I'm glad I did. I'm liking the results. Especially now that the turnouts appear to be working. I've gotten the Mikey cars (named after the Kid in the old LIfe cereal commercials who didn't like anything) to roll through them but I'm rather nervous about driving an engine through them. Monday might tell the rest of the story.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000