Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  06:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turntable drive part DEUX.

After sleeping on it, on closely examined the first drive and found that when I had drilled the spur for the larger drive staff I hadn't got it straight Which put a slight curve in the worm. Which accounts to jerky operation. So I rebuilt it with the other worm drive that came with the gears assortment. Here' the finished second drive;

IT runs a lot better and smoother.

It's only make-believe

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  07:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! With all of the destruction surrounding the new efforts, it's a bit hard to visualize what you're seeing in the "disaster relief effort" to follow ... but will keep following along and look forward to those "ah-ha, so that's where he's going moments!" Meanwhile, nice neat picture of the improved gearing!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  6:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas,
I'm sorry; I guess I'm seeing more than is there 'cause I know were it's going. Wish I could draw. It might help you all understand what I see. But, please keep watching as the gaps fill in.

Update on the turntable. The new drive solved most of the problem and when I raised the turntable 4 scale inches solved the rest. It now turns nice and smoothly. now to find a crank handle and a universal joint for 1/8" shaft without getting shafted on the price.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  4:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you might of noticed my new track plan calls for new track where there is currently no bench-work to support the hidden trackage and staging(and maybe further extension). Three and a half hours of labor and Walla!,new bench-work. All level too.

Thanks for stopping buy, now you can return to the usually impressive work found elsewhere on this great forum.

But, excuses me, it is late into my "night" and I must get some rest.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  03:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I might share some of my planing with you. Let me start with this partial view of my track plan.

If you compare this view with the earlier plans you'll see several changes. The most noticeable is the extension of the logging branch which was originally ending behind the round house. On the old layout this position was behind the Slaughter House about 15" from the edge of the layout providing an acceptable view of the donkey engines. In the new plan this location became about 30" which was too far and undesirable for viewing the planed details. This extension will allow for better viewing of these high interest items. I'll also get the bonus of being to add some interesting passovers including a trestle over a trestle. It will also give me a place to maybe locate the logging camp closer to view. Originally planed to go between the A-frame (the recently reinstalled one) bridge and the log fill it might now go between the two tracks right under the the number 11 in the above drawing. where ever it ends up here the working drawing for the log camp;

Let me also talk about some of my Wharf ideas.
If you look at the above track plan between the "station" and "control" text you see a symbol representing the wharf. This is my General Wharf. There will also be a lumber wharf and a Marshfield Wharf. The first the major shipper of LCL freight and my only real exchange point on this end of my Railroad while the lumber wharf will be the the major shipping point. Lumber being our biggest freight and export item. Anyway this General Wharf is going to have two level like the C.P.'s Sacramento Wharf. Here's a picture to refresh your memories with;

This will allow easier transfer of freight to my rail cars and teamsters. The last seven inches of this wharf will have a warehouse siting on it that will look something like this;

In light of the new kit kit out for a huge wharfhouse maybe I should call this one #2 hook. On the front above the doors will be a sign LIKE this;

Well I guess this is quite enough!

Comments always welcomed

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of progress and ideas since I last visited. Lots of great scenes in the making!
I have been away from the forum for a week, I guess summer has come with other occupations :-)

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  10:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Do take advantage of summer. I hear it's seasonal.
I finished my turntable drive. see in action here (I Hope);
http://youtu.be/oD8eU-35kAc

Thanks for the link to Diamonds Scale Håkan but they wanted $21.00 for a handle so I just made one. I couldn't hind a universal joint for a affordable price ether so I use model airplane fuel line. Here's a picture;

Comments always welcomed

Download Attachment: PICT1270.JPG
145.53 KB

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  12:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The summer is so very short here, not as in sunny California.
I watched the video and it looks and works great! I also like the simplified turning mechanism.

Håkan

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  11:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, like your TT drive set up. I need to do the same. Did you think about making a disk attached to the end of the drive recessed into your facade with a removeable peg/handle? This is what I'm thinking of doing for mine. Cut a circle out, attach it to your drive shaft and then drill a hole off to the side to fit a peg tightly, attach the peg to the circle with a lanyard so it doesn't get lost. This way there is nothing sticking out into the aisle way to catch on.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  02:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil,I didn't think of a removable crank. That's a good idea. I put a lot of thought into it's location to be as out of the way as possible. Just to the right of this is the path to my access pop up and I've learned the hard way that you don't want any thing (wood or metal) in the pathway to take a little flesh off. So that is why the drive shaft has that little bend in it. You come back now for another visit.

It's only make-believe

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad that you got the TT issues resolved. Looks like were in for some structure building tutorials.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  6:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Glad that you got the TT issues resolved. Looks like were in for some structure building tutorials.

Thanks KP, Structures are coming! I'm eager to try the techniques you're demonstrating in your Miner's cabin tread.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  3:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have a little time to do some more layout of the layout. Here's Beaver Hill (which was a real station on the prototype);

Just behind the coffee cup the track will go through the back drop. after this picture I cleaned up this sub-roadbed. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to cut out the roadbed.

It's only make-believe

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  5:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool 3 wharfs !! Some good progress goin on here Bob !

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  8:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, a photo on the top side of the layout!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000