Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  05:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keeping my fingers crossed that you find some Homasote! Great to hear that you're in the building stage again.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  07:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Hagan. I was able to find the homasote. Had to drive to Anaheim (20 minute drive ) to get it but it is had. Have to remember now how to build a railroad now. As it's been 23 years since the last one. This time I want to move slower, plan more (Last time I had to beat the babies arrival). Additionally,I'm doing several new things the biggest is using all stub switches on the layout (except the staffing years) I"m starting to get excited about it now.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  5:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress is being made. Demolition has stopped!!! Construction has begun. I'm moving carefully to make sure everything fits and I don't end up with unworkable grade. Here's a picture. I know it doesn't look like much. The dark brown pres-board material is my water-base (-2.25")the tan material is the homasote that will be the base of my yard. in the center you can see the roundhouse/turntable foot print with the station wharf area on the right.

It's only make-believe

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  8:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  9:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress is being made. We in LA love our Tri-level overpasses. Others might have beaches or Big Trees but LA has Tri-level overpasses. Here is my new one;

It's also my Ground Zero, The lowest part of the mainline track. You can see the A-frame bridge moved safely out of the way.

This is the view from the operator pit. When done there will be a timber lined tunnel under the mountain starting about one foot pass the yard limit;

Here's a view from the outside looking in of my main yard. Where the tape measure is, will be a stream running through the yard. Putting in a stream bed in a manner that fully supports the roadbed is next.

My bench work ain't pretty like Marten's but it is Earthquake tested!

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it up Bob Great to see some building.

Håkan

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  3:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see you making progress!

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  05:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan and Mike, thanks for dropping by and commenting.It means a lot to me. I know she's nothing to look at now but I think better days are a head.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  7:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built 4 cars. I wanted mine to look like they were influenced by Central Pacific practice but built locally using hardware bought from San Francisco. This meant the Dead-blocks had to change to Buffer-blocks and the the C.P. used bar stock in their doors.
So the first picture shows the new ends and the second a side view which also shows the B.C. trucks that are now available from http://bittercreekmodels.com/

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 05/01/2013 7:46:04 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  9:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob,

Those cars are really nice!

Keep up the good work on early rail...as I told masonamerican on his layout thread, we need you guys to keep this category alive!

I check you guys often...

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  3:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, I answered on my own thread before I read yours. That's the same cars I saw on Yahoo Early rail. They look fantastic with very nice weathering! Quite a different look to them compared from the box.

On the lowest picture in the left corner there seems to be a ventilated boxcar? What make is that or have you scratchbuilt it?

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 05/02/2013 3:19:38 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  5:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl & Håkan
THANK YOU]

Håkan,in answering your question from your tread;
The original frame;

After razor Saw;

The walls up;

here you can see some of the added detail and door before paint;

The doors are from a AHM/IHC Ventalated Box car.
Which is the same car I kitbashed my first combination boxcars or combos sd they're called on my road as they're used for everything but grain, not just fruit. I'll have to take some decent pictures of one, but basically I toke 1.5'off both ends and replaced the ends with a new cast end (my mold). The end door were also cast by me.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  6:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my combos.
Side view;

"A" end;

"B" end;

The End. oh!, But I used Baker Trucks from (now) Bitter Creek.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 05/02/2013 6:45:35 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob! Looking good, that is quite a unique car. I have never seen a similar one before.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  11:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Håkan, They are unique. The Central Pacific pioneered and was the chief user of these cars. When the Central Pacific started building the T.C. they had one Traditional stock cars with Iron bar doors, most of their freight cars were ether 30' flats or 25' combination boxcars but without the end doors. The end doors started showing up in the 70's. It was built in two versions, the outside braced version that the V&T used (and Rio Grade's Kit is based on)and the sheaved style that I used. In the late 70's when the Central Pacific wanted a ventilated Boxcar for fruit they adapted this basic style but put vents rather than doors in the end. As far as I know These cars were used only for fruit and maybe dry goods on the way back. These cars are not up to my current quality standards but I will keep them. Let us remember that I built these before we had ANY kits available for cars built before 1890. Also I needed 8 cars not just one. I'm so grateful that today we have Rio Grande, BTS and Alkem making kits for us.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000