Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2015 :  6:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I like how you are using and refurbishing old models. Of course, I'm the original El Cheapo.

Older wood takes on a mellow color as it oxidizes that is hard to replicate. I once used a walnut stain and when I look at those older models I like what I see. Still, a gray stain seems more appropriate for weathered wood.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  01:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Mike. That was very helpful.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  1:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update here.
On the trestle I'm adding the sub-roadbed approaches with the north approach still drying. this is how she looks;

I also started the cutting and fitting to make her fit on the layout. While still needing to add additional support to the trestle from underneath the layout this is how she will look from the best viewing angle. just try and add some ground cover and trees with your imagination;

I also did a little work on the Ice House addition to the Slaughter House. I added the hinges supports to the doors. Serving as a backdrop are my sketches I'm using to plan the C-shaped stairway to the upper ice loading dock. And the question; should I add a small office for the Ice Company, Carl's Cool Ice for Coos and Curry?

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  1:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl's Cool Ice for Coos and Curry?

Sounds good to me Bob!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  3:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, it's good to see you've made progress on the trestle.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/11/2015 3:15:08 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find putting a bridge or trestle in place on a layout to be a lot of work. Between getting everything level and stable, working in the scenery without breaking things or getting it on the bridgework, and installing track with smooth transitions, there is ample scope for screwing up. Looks like you're doing a great job.

The variations in color of the trestle members gives it a lot of history. I like it.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  1:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl and Mike, Thanks for dropping by and the support.

Mike, I agree, your right putting the bridge in place is a job. I tried to reduce the process a bit by paining the base a base color. As it worked out this morning's work was adding support for the trestle and making sure it all aligns up right.
Here's a couple of boring shots of this. The two 1x2's for support;

And from the Balloon with out the scenery in place;

In preparation for laying rail I then sanded and re-stained (w A&I)the deck.

It's only make-believe

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

So You with unbiased eyes, tell me what you think. How does the combination look?
Feel free to comment about my trees too.

New ties seem reasonable, they were swapped out in real life due damage based on what I have read. Only issue might be if a long section was replaced. I thought - if a long section needed, could it be made to look like a replaced fire damaged section. I think the fire barrels were there for a reason, might look really cool to have the new section look like repaired from a fire.

Just a suggestion, certainly no expert.

Keep posting, enjoying your journey!

Cameron

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  4:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess my post was a little late - Trestle looks great.

Cameron

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  5:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cameron, better late than never! Thanks for droping by and for the encouragement

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2015 :  06:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep up the progress Bob! I'm checking in from time to time and its great to see so much happening.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  4:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Håkan,
Here's more progress shots while I wait form the foam Glue to dry.
The trestle has rails! Take from the ballon;

and from the best view with foreground scenery form in place;

After staring at this last picture awhile I think i need to see more of the Trestle so the foreground mound should have a valley gut into it and the hill right behind the trestle is too tall. It should be about 4 layers lower.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  01:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little more progress done and the mandatory photos for me to study and critique.
audience right-full wide angle;

audience left-full wide angle;

Audience right normal view;

Audience left normal view

Download Attachment: PICT2020.JPG
164.82 KB

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like you carved out in front of the trestle a little. That's an improvement. That trestle is too nice to hide. What's going in the forefront? Where does the stream under the trestle flow?

I'm looking forward to the completed scene.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  11:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Looks like you carved out in front of the trestle a little. That's an improvement. That trestle is too nice to hide. What's going in the forefront? Where does the stream under the trestle flow?

I'm looking forward to the completed scene.

Mike

Hi Mike, I did decide allow more viewing of the trestle as it's recycling turned out better than I expected it would. The body of water under the bridge is the Mill pond. Sharing the riverbed is the mill race. Both waterways swing around the hill on the right (through the backdrop twice) and into Miller's Slough.
On the flat area of the first roll of hill will be the home of the railroad's President.
At the base of the hill there will be a road leading to Marshfield the south edge of which will be seen on the right behind the Slaughter House. The first stall of the roundhouse has a door on the back wall. A track will emerge to serve as a supply track but also access to a paint shop and/or a car shop. The rest of the area will have storage building, offices and a bunkhouse as I have room. The final arrangement is still evolving though. All of this will be designed to be supporting actors for the structural stars of this area, the Machine Shops and minor wharfs.

I'm looking forward to the completed scene too.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000