Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  6:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes! That demo image is pretty sad ... but there's no doubt that you'll bring it around with some nifty changes. Will keep an eye on those.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  9:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Thank you. I used 1/8" styrene to build the box. The kit provides two brass wires for pick-up. They look like they'll work well. Testing them is next after I solder the pick ups to the rail.

Dallas, Thanks for dropping by! I hope there is something more to see soon. Things are dropping into place. The changes appear to be working. I need to confirm that I have room for the slaughter house and then I need to see if the new cutoff to the slough scene will work. If that works we'll be looking at a body on the operation table. If it doesn't we'll be looking at a corpse on the prep table. So I'll soon know if it's the grave or a rebirth for the Layout.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  9:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas,
here's some happy images. My Sellers assembled;

a MEW Tahoe will make anything look better;

There is still work to be done. The turntable is operating poorly. Electrical P/U is good, but it sticks when it turn and wobbles like a drunken sailor as it does. I do think it's curable. Then I will have to mount it into the layout.

Any comments welcomed.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  01:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks beautiful especially with the Tahoe! How will you power it? If I remember correctly didn't Freshwater make a motor and gear set?

I wonder about the MEW Tahoe. I also have a MEW Tahoe that I bought on ebay some years ago without motor and original box. My model has a shorter smokebox then yours. Did they come in different versions?

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 07/01/2012 01:22:49 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  7:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Håkan!
I have the powering kit that Freshwater makes but I don't know if I'm going to use it or take the route that David outlined in his build. There is a couple of reason why I'm shying away from the electrifying the turntable;
  • Control. I don't want to invest in or build a maintence heavy indexing system
  • I have doubts that the motoer is strong enough to handle the job. The turntable is hard to move especially with a brass engine on top
  • and I'm just a hands on type of a guy

so any input into helping me decide would be appreciated.

On the MEW Tahoe;
IIRC, There were two runs of Models. I've read that one had a peaked cab roof and one had a arch cab roof. I do not recall one having a shorter smokebox however. It sounds to me like the first owner was going to do what I want to do to mine, back date and remotor it. The longer smoke box was added after the engine left the V&T. The original motor and gearing made for a good running engine but many people don't like the motor taking up all the cab and hanging out of it a bit and choose to remotor the model. Sounds like you got a good deal.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  1:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers Bob, I could not agree more on the mechanism for the turntable. I think the simpler the better. The little Diamond turntable I have I align by eye and it works great. Control is by Diamond scales products worm and gear drive reduction system with a manual hand-crank. HC-10 I think it was numbered. The drive is very powerful and when I installed it the instructions said that it was good if the whole mechanism had some resistance built into it.

I checked your model to mine and it has the peaked roof. Besides the shorter smokebox it also has a different pilot, see photo below. Could be that the previous owner as you says backdated it and just cut of the smokebox and changed the pilot. Will be fun though fixing it up. As it don’t have any motor it rolls very good without any hitches and feels overall like better quality then the Empire Midland imports.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 07/02/2012 4:39:31 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  4:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,

And he removed the air compressor from the Engineer's side. He duplicated her as she looks today at the Museum in Pennsylvania. His (and theirs) choices in colors stand as a vivid example of how much better we now understand how these engines were painted thanks to the works of Jim Wilke and other historians. Since we're taking about a engine that ran on the V&T I thought that I would share with you some additional Early Rail resources that I have found very useful. The Virginia and Truckee was stated in 1868 (or 9) and ran until 1952 (OR SO). She was built to handle the Silver and Gold mining of the Comstock lodge in Nevada. Built in the midst of that boom she bought lots of engines and built substantial infrastructure to support the transportation needs of these communities. Then the boom, busted in the late 80's which locked all development in it's place-meaning-no new equipment or modernizing of infrastructure or equipment other than what was required by Law. After the boom there was enough business to keep the railroad running though until Hollywood started to make westerns and the V&T had all this old equipment that was authentically from the old west. Hollywood's needs and groups of rail fans keep the equipment preserved until Rail Fans were able to get the government to set up a few museums to do the job. Since we have the equipment, many of the buildings and the records (there were no fires (after 1876), earthquakes or other disasters that effected the V&T's records) and a dedicated fan base (that includes many serious Historians)we early rail modelers have a "perfect storm" for data preservation.
We have three Yahoo Groups. Here are two;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Virginia_and_Truckee/
and
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vandtmodelers1869/

There is a third one that deals with modeling the V&t of the 20th century that I do not follow.

There is also The Virgina and Truckee Historical Society;
http://www.vtrrhs.org/
It's quarterly Newsletter the "Telegraph" and their two books are very informative.

And this web page;
http://www.virginiaandtruckee.com/
Has tons of useful information on it. It is ran by Kent Kristiansson from Sweden.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 07/02/2012 4:59:08 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  5:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,well this project looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!
I really admire that you are not ripping everything out & starting over.
The 3 R's Reduce Reuse recycle apply in model railroads too.
Besides,after 23 years, a renewal of this sort will be exciting!
And judging from the very nice work on that turntable so far,things are only going to get better at Coos Bay & Willamette Valley.

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  8:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Greg.
I appreciate your support. The turntable
is working better now. It was balancing on the p/u wires which caused it to rock as it rolled.
So I added for pieces of .050 styrene like so;

These have stopped the rocking. The pit rail wasn't level causing the sticking. leveling it has improved the ride. This still needs more work.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  09:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the solution on the turntable, I'll follow with interest.

Thanks Bob for the information on the loco and V&T. Seems like the previous owner helped me then as I like it backdated as near its delivery date as possible.

Funny the last V&T site was run by a Swede. It has some great info along with the drawings. Will be a great help when it comes to paint and livery.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  1:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Håkan,
And I'm glad that you feel the previous Tahoe owner helped you. I'm going to back date mine too. Making the same changes plus I'm going to add water pumps. I will not change the crossheads though.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  10:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea for stabilizing the turntable bridge with those sliders...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  02:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the turntable bridge and pit, Bob. When I scratchbuilt one years ago, I found that minimizing friction under the bridge was a bit challenging.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  07:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, Thank You! That's very useful Intel.
I really like your turntable. It reminds me of the Sierra's at Angel Camp.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 07/05/2012 09:24:21 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  8:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gota share a ugly picture as the rebuilt continues.
This is part of the future Miller Slough area;

I was planning the grade through the slough and it became apparent that the grade would be stiff. stiffer than the current ruling grade seen behind the slough's grade. I then remember how this how difficult it was for my light Early Locomotives to work this grade. I decided to eliminate both grades. Here is the new plan;

I like how this well open up the scenery too. Note too that I changed the wharf trackage on the left.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000