Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,
sorry to hear about the setback.

I looked at the pictures and came up with an idea. For this idea to work it is necessary to remove the throwbar with rail. This is so you could drill some small holes in a series below the throwbar and along the travel of the throwbar to make a slot. Then file these up and make the slot slightly longer then the throwbar travel.
The idea then is to take some of the 1/16 steel wire or similar sturdy wire and make a under the table throw moving in a tube. See sketch below.

The snap switches can work against the vertical part of the wire as it travels back and forth.

I hope the above can help giving you some ideas.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 10/30/2013 12:02:26 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  9:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an excellent idea Håkan and Thank you and I do truly appreciate your contribution but I have 7" of bay in front of the turnout supported by 1/2" plywood. So the distance between the top of the roadbed and the to-be mounting surface for the tubing is a bit over 2 1/2". I fear there would be to much flex in 2 1/2"'s of wire for it to work.

Don Ball in the Nov/Dec 2010 Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette had an article on modifying a Blue Point switch machine to operate 3-way stubs.
My LHS, The Whistle Stop in Pasadena had two in stock so I'll be trying that next.

Thank you so much Håkan

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  7:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My frustration continues.... So much so I've taken a break from them until I can take a fresh look at the problem of controlling the 3-way's.
I'm not blaming anybody but myself for this. Thank you all for your comments and keep them coming please.
So I'm started trestle building. While not the most current track plan here is the approach to the yard. The track between the arrows will be on a low trestle over the slough;

I had enough material to lay the ties for the curve from the 3-way to the turnout (Grist Mill /spur) This trestle is on a grade climbing 7/8" from the 3-way to the spur turnout. Here's a picture of about half of it which also shows how I'm laying it out;

The produce placement checks from Stanley Tools and Sharpie I'm sure are now in the mail. You can see I'm using the basic Campbell's Trestle building approach.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 11/09/2013 8:03:35 PM

Salty4568
New Hire

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  8:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Bob. Looks like more progress!

As to the switch throw, I wonder if you couldn't just "beef" them up a bit ? .... maybe use brass tubing for the parts that seem weak right now.

I have run out of good ideas at this point.

Skip Luke

Skip Luke
Retired Railroader

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  12:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, can you make something like this?

R/C cables would be lighter or use the cables from Humpyard.

Jut an idea.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Salty4568
New Hire

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  12:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, It may be a wild idea, but I have been looking at "muscle wire" that the robotics guys have been using. I think these little modules would have a long enough throw to take care of the 3-ways, and they are almost incredibly strong. The company has a video of one of these little units lifting a bowling ball up and down. ANd, they are cheap, especially compared to buying a bunch of Tortoises. I've been thinking about trying one as an experiment. I assume you could, by experimenting, find the two voltage levels that would pull the rails to center and then to the right or left, with rest point at one or the other of the diverging routes. Might be worth a try.

http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2013/11/shop-building-machinery-shed-down-on.html

They only pull, no push, so you need something to pull the rails back the other way, but the springiness in the rails might be enough if you build the turnout so "rest" (no voltage" is one of the diverging routes, and use varying voltage to pull them to center and then to the opposite route. Or, maybe easier to use two .... one to pull left, and the other to pul right, with a center resting point.

Eventually we will hit on something that works.

Skip

Skip Luke
Retired Railroader

Salty4568
New Hire

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  12:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooooops .... sorry, wrong URL ... here's the right one:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8782

Skip

Skip Luke
Retired Railroader

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  2:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So that part will be on a low trestle, that will make for a exiting scene!
I'm happy you're proceeding forward although on another track! The solution to the 3-way control I'm sure is just around the bend.

Håkan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  7:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, I'm glad you're building those 3-ways and not me.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  7:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Skip, Phil and Håkan.
Skip, Thanks for both links. That's a neat little blacksmith shop and that motor has several MRR applications possible. The problem is with the linkage from the under table machine to the the turnout(and damaging the 3-way putting in a slot that disgusted and disheartened me(it is repairable))."Beefing up" the machine should do it after my heart settles a bit.
Phil, I really like your design for the fascia controls. I think I'm going to use them, thank you, but as I said above the problem lies elsewhere.
Håkan, Thank you I'm excited about this scene. my prototype had about a mile of low trestle in the bay which they promptly filed as the needs of water navigation allowed. But I will go the route of the trestle and keep the water commuters happy.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  8:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Bob, I'm glad you're building those 3-ways and not me.

Thanks, I think
I'm sure you would have them done long ago.

It's only make-believe

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  10:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I understanding right in that when you tried to cut a slot up to the throw bar that the rails got messed up? Bummer

You are most welcome to it, hope you are able to decipher the drawings, ask if you need help. I had figured on a simple pivoting lever up to the throw bar from underneath. I can not recall what you are using for the sub roadbed and if you could carve out a groove for the cable to connect directly to the throw bar. This is how we did Mainframers Humpyard controls. Will check to see if any pics.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  11:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got it exactly Phil. And Thanks for feeling my pain.

On the Trestle, I copied and modified a Jig from Campbell's Wharf to use as my bent Jig. On the right, The Xed out pile is my cutting guild.

It's only make-believe

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  08:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a thought, Steve Hatch at railway engineering makes 3 way stubs. He has good info on his website.

I remember someone talking about how the controls them. The site is http://www.railwayeng.com/

IF you dont see anything on it, they emailing him.

Hope that helps.

Cameron

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2013 :  8:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you all are having a wonderful time with your families.

I have been working on the railroad, planning and thinking and progress is being made.

Here's the trestle to date;

As you can see, standing on the opposite side of my operator's pit with the camera zoomed as wide as she'll go and you can't see all the trestle. That's as planed of course so the eye can't see it all in one take-making it look longer than it is. It still needs guard planks and the escaped planked and safety handrails. I quest I should add some rails too. I'm almost ready to look at the three ways again.

Download Attachment: millslough trestle.JPG
88.05 KB

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000