Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 242 ]  [ Total: 246 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  08:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that is beautiful. Well done.

TomO

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  12:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made some progress on the scale house the last few days. The major components and some details spent some time in the paint booth or at the work bench, getting paint applied.

Here is one discovery: I painted the weigh beam SP Dark Lark Gray, originally. I had some Pollyscale left over and I thought that was pretty close to the prototypes I've seen. And, I decided to paint the structure with Vallejo US Grey. This is supposed to be like Pollyscale Reefer Gray. I thought this came out a lot darker than the Pollyscale Reefer Gray I used in the past. So, I went back and repainted the weigh beam a light gray. Because, otherwise, it would have been a dark gray against a dark gray background.

I also fabricated the ceiling and finished the floor. I cut a piece out of the ceiling to attach an overhead light to. The "hatch" will pop into place and is held firmly. But, it gives me a way to access the LED if something goes wrong with it.

I also fabricated an electric meter for the back of the structure and painted the figure for the inside. I tried to get a faded denim look by mixing 10 drops of Pollyscale Undercoat Lt Gray with 4 drops of B&O Royal Blue. I think it came out pretty decent.

I tested the structure with a spare LED to see if light shows through any of the joints and it looks good.

I think what I will work on now is glue the weighbeam and LP to the floor and glue the ceiling to the walls.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  12:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the contrast of the colors. Great job on that.
Looks like the whole thing is coming together very nicely Chuck.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Chuck! I worked on the EJ&E for 18 years and
weighed a lot of rs. Your impression of the scale house
are right on - the "scale" tracks look proper as well.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  1:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry and Geezer!

Geezer, since you worked a scale house, would you mind a few questions?

When I operate the scale, I shove a car onto the scale, uncouple it, and then back up the engine and other cars to isolate it on the scale. And, after it is weighed, I shove it beyond the scale, back up to get the next car on the scale, and repeat the process. But, eventually, I get to the last few cars, and I can't "safely" move them onto the scale since the engine isn't allowed and there isn't enough room between the lead truck of the engine and the truck of the last car to move the points. What I have been doing is using the last two cars as idler cars, and then after everything else is weighed, I rearrange the order. What did the prototype do?

And, I have been noticing a bell or horn on the side of many scale houses. I assume that was to signal the engineer with directions. Does that sound right?

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  12:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, the scale house is coming together nicely. That weigh beam is awesome!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  01:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

You need one for your Pennsy. The Santa Fe and PRR had similar designs. After I had drawn the plans for my model, I discovered two articles with PRR plans of their scale house.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  09:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did take a couple photos of the finished interior of my scale house. Basically, after gluing the weigh beam and figure to the assembled floor. Its not much...

Chuck

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  09:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, your scale house is another beautiful little gem to be added to your layout.
As always great work!

Greg Shinnie

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  10:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great work i like it

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  10:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, those details do the trick, Chuck.

Bruce

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  12:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Mark,

You need one for your Pennsy. The Santa Fe and PRR had similar designs. After I had drawn the plans for my model, I discovered two articles with PRR plans of their scale house.

Chuck

Your right Chuck! I do believe that in my case, the scale house would have been at Weigh Scales, Pa., which is an area I don't model, but I could incorporate a little modelers license! Where did you find the plans of the PRR version?

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  12:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I'll forward you what I have. And, if you are ever in Lewisburg, PA, there is one sitting close to Route 15. All the times I was there, I knew it was a railroad structure. But, I didn't know what it was. And, I plan to shoot photos of it next time I am there.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  12:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck that is a great detail. An a beautiful job of doing it.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  1:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Chuck. I suggest a piece of paper of two for him to be recording the weight.

George

Fly Army

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000